people on ground team without 101

Started by swya, February 18, 2007, 05:56:40 AM

swya

this may seem somewhat pothetic but in most cases im the highest level cadet ground team member and im still only ges, most everyone on the ground is ges inactive or doesn't even hace a card and that is my problem in my squadron cadets manage to sneak past sign in without being actual 101 ready so what do i do to stop this AS A CADET THAT IS GENERALLY LOWER RANKING.
c/a1c James Collins- age 13
nellis cadet squadron- nvo69
my myspace is www.myspace.com/swya

arajca

First step, notify your unit commander.

If that doesn't fix the problem, or the members are not from your unit, file a complaint following the proper procedures as outlined in CAPR 123-2, Complaints.

As a cadet, you can refuse to place yourself at risk by not going out with those members.

swya

thank you also what do i do if cadets hace 101 cards but an incredibly bad pack(E.G. a few band aids and a pocket knife) or no jacket in  very bad weather

arajca

Quote from: swya on February 18, 2007, 06:08:02 AM
thank you also what do i do if cadets hace 101 cards but an incredibly bad pack(E.G. a few band aids and a pocket knife) or no jacket in  very bad weather

Are you the leader? If so, don't let them go out without the minimum necessary equipment. Definitely explain to them why they are not going out.

If you're not the leader, bring your concerns to the leader.

Remember, you always have the option of not going out yourself, especially with an ill-prepared team. Ultimately, YOU are responsibile for your own safety.

RiverAux

Frankly, if all you have is GES, you shouldn't be going out on the ground team either --- I assume if you had already met the pre-requisities and basic training requirements for GTM, then you would have said so. 

Eclipse

You are to be commended for the fact that, considering your unit doesn't seem to care about regs, you have still gotten up to speed.

My advice would be to enlist the help of your parents, who in turn should research the issue and enlist the assistance of seniors in the program.

I agree with others, though, that drawing the line at your own participation, and in a respectful way pointing out WHY you can't go (leaving the failings of others alone), could start the conversations.

This could be anything from ignorance to negligence, and flavors in between.

There is so much wrong in this situation, it is hard to know where to start, but you also don't want to go charging in there making accusations until you know the whole story.

"That Others May Zoom"

swya

thanks everyone also my gtm3 is pending

JohnKachenmeister

How does one "Sneak" onto a ground team without a 101 card?  If they have GES and are training for GT, I understand, but the impression I get from this is that they are completely without documentation.

Also, why are they out without canteens of water, and proper team equipment?  Didn't anybody watch "Blackhawk Down," and if they did, why didn't they get the message of proper preparation for missions?

I have a mental disease called "Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder" and as a result of this handicap I am unable to take a unit into the field without an equipment check.

Another former CAP officer

Eclipse

Quote from: swya on February 18, 2007, 06:21:08 PM
thanks everyone also my gtm3 is pending

Hmm...a little confused.

How can your GT3 be "pending" if you don't have a 101 card?

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

The original poster had his 101 card.  He said other people didn't have them...

swya

as a response to johnkachemeister's message people sneak on missions by not even signing in and keeping a low profile until we get into the field, and they dont have 101s at all, once someone went on without renewing his membership(even though he did it two days later) and john im like you with equipment checks however im not in charge im only a cadet

Eclipse

You know, I really can't see how this can be happening, unless this is in small-scale, unit-centric missions that are more like campouts than ES operations. That, sadly, happens all the time.

At any mid-to-larger scale activity, there just can't be that many benevolent seniors who will look the other way.  Sure, things slip through the cracks, and lines are fudged, but to launch a ground sortie:

The GTL is responsible for checking the credentials of the members, and their equipment, and making sure both are current and correct.  He then must complete a CAPF 109 to turn into the GBD.

The GBD, and/or briefers are responsible for double-checking everything, looking over the team compositions, etc.

I don't know how they do things in Nevada, but in IL, there are only about 10-12 qualified GBD's in the whole state, and in turn, we KNOW who the GTL's are, so its real hard to slip stuff by us.

Now, if you're saying they are launching sorties without 109's, or worse, GTL's, and just winging it with a senior, an L-Per, and a prayer, may God have mercy on their souls.

I doubt it, though, because that would never get past the CAP-USAF people and others involved in oversight.
An occasional exception, sure.  On a regular basis, no. 

It would take such an ill-advised conspiracy to make that happen that it would make the Kennedy Assassination look like a routine homicide.

"That Others May Zoom"

DeputyDog

Quote from: swya on February 19, 2007, 02:33:48 AM
as a response to johnkachemeister's message people sneak on missions by not even signing in and keeping a low profile until we get into the field, and they dont have 101s at all, once someone went on without renewing his membership(even though he did it two days later) and john im like you with equipment checks however im not in charge im only a cadet
It sounds like there needs to be a few operational qualification suspensions (mostly on the GTL's part).

Don't take the stance that "I'm only a cadet". Even though you are "only a cadet", you are still on the ground team. Nothing is stopping you from reminding the GTL about equipment and 101 card checks.

If the GTL ignores you, then just request to sit it out. You really wouldn't want that GTL as your GTL out on a sortie.

Camas

I would think that a mission staff assistant would be checking 101 cards or, least, confirming issuance of 101 cards through either MIMS or the WMU.  The ultimate responsibility falls with the incident commander.  I'd hate to see some one on a mission or SAREX without the proper credentials.  No FTCA or FECA coverage for those 18 or older - and that can't be a good thing!

swya

thank you everyone, now i think that i know what some options are

Pylon

Just to clarify, are we talking about real missions or mission-numbered SAREXes or just your squadron having a bivouac in the woods and learning some ground team tasks?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

swya

mission numbered sarex's where ground team members play the parts of terrorists or lost hikers for pilots to find and also there are no gtl's or ground team branch directors with us

ZigZag911

Quote from: swya on February 19, 2007, 04:24:30 AM
mission numbered sarex's where ground team members play the parts of terrorists or lost hikers for pilots to find and also there are no gtl's or ground team branch directors with us

Cadet, I'm curious who is searching for these 'terrorists'?

Is it possible your squadron is serving as "targets" (under CAP officer supervision) for some other agency??  Such as state police, military forces, Homeland Security?

If that is so, I doubt you need much more qualification than GES to go sit in   woods or wherever and wait to be 'caught'....of course, you need to be properly equipped for safety....you might be simulated victims, lost persons, or whatever, but you still need to pay attention to climate, safety, proper hydration.....the officer in charge should see to that.

CAP ground teams don't search for terrorists, real or simulated.

swya

we play terrorists, lost hikers, etc. while cap planes look for us, to me this is a liability issue for those cadets

DNall

Whatever... isn't GES permenant by the way? How can you be "GES Inactive"? Plus, are we talking about they don't have a 01 card physically in their posession, or they aren't GES qual'd online? Cause I'd have to print a card if I really needed one & that's kind of pointless when the mission is done via cell phone to a remote IC.

swya

you're ges inactive when your commander has yet to approve your 116 but you did pass and when i said no 101 i meant they had never taken the 116

DNall

I don't think CCs approve GES. I know when I took it it logged directly to the SQTRs & there's no record of it being approved anywhere. I don't know I'm not a CC.

swya

if cc means cadet commander than no, but the commander has to approve you to be ges active

flyerthom

Some interesting ah challenges there cadet. If this is the NV SAREX I think it is, I was flying as an MO that day and lordmoner was participating on the ground.
If you have evidence to back this up you must report it up your chain of command. If you have only hearsay you may want to remain reserved until you  have proof. Good people have been hurt by bogus charges in the past and you never know who's reading what you write. The best and most honest course is to follow your chain of command.
TC

lordmonar

Okay I'm going to come the SWYA's rescue here.

First off......there has only been one cadet who has NOT been GES qualified ever get on a team...and that was my fault because I did not listen close enough to what he was saying.

Second......in NVWG lately we have been flying a lot of HLS profiles during our SAREX's.  These are mainly photo recon, but we have also been doing route searches and "suspicious activity" searches.   In those missions we put a team down in the target areas with instructions to hide when ever a plane goes by to simulate a terrorist group moving around in day light.

NVWG is in the process of rebuilding its GT capability.  Local (non CAP) politics over the years created a situation where GT fell off the CAP priority list.  And due to this we are in serious need of fully qualified GT members and an integrated plan on using GT in the SAR role.

We have never actually sortied a GT during a SAREX as a Ground Team yet.  We have been on the ground in the "target" mode.  We plan to have enough GT qualified personnel and enough visibility of cadets at the mission base by this summer to fully integrate GTs (with cadets) with the aerial mission.

The issue with the GES inactive....is because the owning commanders are not updating the cadet's Curry in E-Services.  So if you don't have the Curry updated....when you print out your 101 card...it shows "inactive" next to your GES.  This has been noted several times at the SAREX and the IC waived it in the system.

I don't know anything about people sneaking into the SAREX with out sining in.  If that is happening it is not a wide spread thing going on.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

JohnKachenmeister

I figured there had to be an explanation, Pat.  Thinks for providing one.

swya

unfortunately, lordmonar it has happened several times in sarex's before that one.to what flyerthom said i do have verbal evidence but nothing more

flyerthom

It's more of a problem in Southern NV, In the north there's even a Jeep Squadron. Politics with Clark County led to a lessening of importance to ground teams but there were ground team leaders and qualified cadets when we did the actual missions for the Columbia Parts search several years ago. We need to look outside Clark County for our place or begin to utilize our people for inter-agency liaison.
TC

swya

in northern arizona, kingman, lake havasu, bullhead, and yuma there is no ground team at all and they need udf and they have to call in the phoenix ground team which is 5 hours away. We are only 2 hours away from somewhere that could use us. Why cant we go there ???

Becks

Quote from: swya on February 19, 2007, 06:47:26 AM
if cc means cadet commander than no, but the commander has to approve you to be ges active
Just an FYI cadet, CC means commander.  If it were cadet commander it would be referenced as C/CC.

BBATW

swya

Al Sayre

Component Commander

eg. SQ/CC  Squadron Component Commander
      WG/CC Wing Component Commander

etc.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

swya

DNall

What is it 20-1 that has the office symbols in it? You should get familiar with some of those.

swya

thank you sir that is something i shall do soon

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: swya on February 19, 2007, 09:06:47 PM
oh ok now all this stuff makes sense

You're in trouble.  I've been in the military and/or CAP since 1963 and it still don't make sense to me.

JohnKachenmeister

Since it makes sense to you, why do people say "Stand fast?"

I have tried several times to stand slow, or stand fast, and no matter what I do I always end up standing at the same speed, which is usually zero.

swya

DNall

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on February 20, 2007, 12:11:05 AM

I have tried several times to stand slow, or stand fast, and no matter what I do I always end up standing at the same speed, which is usually zero.
;D
I do believe stand fast & hold fast come from nautical terminology, and while I might be mistaken, I believe it started with a command to quickly hold tension on that line (rope).

ZigZag911

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on February 20, 2007, 12:11:05 AM

John, quit pulling the cadet's leg!

By te way, do you ahve a smoke shifter I could borrow??!??

swya

what's a smoke shifter and where do you get one because that sounds cool ;D

Eclipse

They are very effective during night snipe-hunting operations....

"That Others May Zoom"

ZigZag911

Quote from: swya on February 20, 2007, 02:55:23 AM

My apologies, cadet, I was messing with you too!

Anyone on a bivouac asks for a smoke shifter, a sky hook,, or mentions snipe hunting as Eclipse did, is kidding with you....ain't no such things!

swya

haha very funny that's a good one i'll have to do that to someone

ZigZag911

I feel as if I'm passing the torch to the next generation!

Al Sayre

Just don't give away all of the secrets of the dark side...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

MississippiFlyboy

Although with Nitrogen in auto tires becoming popular and cheaper ...the whole joke of putting "winter air" in your tires isn't as funny.

But there's always Muffler Bearings 
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

Kevin Myers
2d Lt, CAP
SER-MS-100

arajca

Don't forget to pack your left handed spanner. :)

JohnKachenmeister

But sending someone for a bucket of prop wash is for real.  Clean props are happy props.

swya

SarDragon

Quote from: ZigZag911 on February 20, 2007, 04:30:44 AM

Anyone on a bivouac asks for a smoke shifter, a sky hook,, or mentions snipe hunting as Eclipse did, is kidding with you....ain't no such things!

But snipe hunting is one of my favorite bivvie activities. It builds character.

YMMV!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major Lord

My left-handed smoke shifter broke last year, but fortunately, I was able to find the metric crescent wrench I needed to fix it.
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Fifinella

Quote from: lordmonar on February 19, 2007, 07:24:44 AM
I don't know anything about people sneaking into the SAREX with out sining in.  If that is happening it is not a wide spread thing going on.

Ah, that MUST be why it's called Sin City.  ;D  I've never had the pleasure of "sining in" to a CAP activity yet.  :'(
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

davedove

Quote from: DNall on February 19, 2007, 06:31:07 AM
Whatever... isn't GES permenant by the way?

GES does not expire unless a new test is published, at which time the individual has 180 days to take the new test or his GES does expire.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

lordmonar

Quote from: Fifinella on February 21, 2007, 04:46:06 PM

Ah, that MUST be why it's called Sin City.  ;D  I've never had the pleasure of "sining in" to a CAP activity yet.  :'(

:D

Come on down some time....and we'll show you how a SAREX is really done! >:D

Fifinella

Quote from: lordmonar on February 21, 2007, 06:25:52 PM

Hmmm, what does *that* SQTR look like? :o
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Fifinella on February 21, 2007, 09:49:36 PM

Hey... THAT'S why everybody laughed when I asked about what uniform to wear!

swya

i enjoy sining in but wait until you sin out >:D

lordmonar

Quote from: Fifinella on February 21, 2007, 09:49:36 PM

TASKS:

LV-0001:  Demonstrate ability to use ATM machine to convert bank account into expendable cash.
LV-0002:  Demonstrate ability to insert money into slot machines and pull handle.
LV-0003:  Demonstrate ability to secure a title loan/payday loan/2nd Mortgage to continue training on task LV-0002.
LV-0004: Demonstrate ability to secure transportation after cashing in plane/train/bus ticket or giving up title to POV.

desert rat

You forgot to mention the task of learning to evade the porno flyer handout people.

Aslo tasking while drinking

Fifinella

Quote from: desert rat on February 22, 2007, 12:06:36 AM
You forgot to mention the task of learning to evade the porno flyer handout people.

Aslo tasking while drinking
What, no pole dancing?
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

JohnKachenmeister

Why do you evade the porno flyer handout people?

I call that "Gathering Intel."

ZigZag911

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on February 22, 2007, 12:46:44 AM
Why do you evade the porno flyer handout people?

I call that "Gathering Intel."

You guys have ENTIRELY too much free time on your hands!

desert rat

wow! just imagine if CAP tapped into all that free time for missions.  Just think about all that we could be doing.

Or perhaps others just have too little time. ;D

lordmonar

Quote from: desert rat on February 22, 2007, 12:06:36 AM

Avoid?   >:D

QuoteAlso tasking while drinking

This part of Sinner Leader training! >:D

desert rat

Then the medics course must include treating hangovers.  lol >:D

flyerthom

And if the HSO send you for a Fallopian Tube...
TC

swya

Quote from: flyerthom on February 22, 2007, 05:46:25 AM

And if the HSO send you for a Fallopian Tube...
still a roll of flight line is way cool

flyerthom

Quote from: desert rat on February 22, 2007, 05:44:04 AM
Then the medics course must include treating hangovers.  lol >:D

Gatorade, high flow O2 from someones airplane...
TC

desert rat

James, how about getting me a bottle of K9P. >:D

lordmonar

Quote from: desert rat on February 22, 2007, 06:05:10 AM
James, how about getting me a bottle of K9P. >:D

And I need a CAP Form 1 D 10 T. :D

SarDragon

Oops, I'm all out of DF Bearing Grease. Quick, get me some.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

shorning

JohnKachenmeister

JohnKachenmeister

Health Services?

"Go to Central Supply and pick up two sterile Fallopian Tubes."

"Then stop by the Pharmacy and pick up a bottle of Bowman's Capsules."

"Paging Doctor Reuben... Doctor Billy Reuben."

MIKE

Snipe hunting season is now over.  Lock.

Mike Johnston