Pesidential Declared Disasters

Started by ammotrucker, February 05, 2011, 04:40:19 AM

ammotrucker

1. I want to know what you all think a Presidentially declared disaster is?

2. What makes a Presidentially declared disaster?

3. Do you think that Deepwater Oil Spill qualifies if Yes qualify if NO why not?
RG Little, Capt

Spaceman3750

1. My understanding is that it is, quite literally, a disaster zone which the President has declared (as opposed to the Governor, Mayor, EMA, or Bannana King). This declaration affords more aid from FEMA to the victims of the disaster.

2. It's open-ended. It can be declared for any disaster where federal-level assistance is needed.

3. It's not on FEMA's list of declarations, so I'm guessing no (at least not the list I'm looking at).

Eclipse

The [lmgtfy]Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act[/lmgtfy] (Stafford Act) (Pub.L. 100-707) is a United States federal law designed to bring an orderly and systemic means of federal natural disaster assistance for state and local governments in carrying out their responsibilities to aid citizens. The Stafford Act is a 1988 amended version of the Disaster Relief Act of 1974 (Pub.L. 93-288).

It created the system in place today by which a presidential disaster declaration of an emergency triggers financial and physical assistance through the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). The Act gives FEMA the responsibility for coordinating government-wide relief efforts. The Federal Response Plan it implements includes the contributions of 28 federal agencies and non-governmental organizations, such as the American Red Cross. It is named for Robert Stafford, who helped pass the law.

Congress amended it by passing the Disaster Mitigation Act of 2000 (Pub.L. 106-390), and again in 2006 with the Pets Evacuation and Transportation Standards Act (Pub.L. 109-308).

http://www.fema.gov/pdf/about/stafford_act.pdf

It appears that Deepwater was net declared as a PDDA, in part, because it is not considered a "natural" disaster, and BP is being held accountable
for the damages.  Further, it also appears that claims payments will not be tax exempt.

http://www.pgdc.com/pgdc/crs-analyzes-payments-bp-oil-spill-victims-and-potential-tax-relief-options

"That Others May Zoom"

ammotrucker

Quote from: Eclipse on February 05, 2011, 05:08:15 AM
The [lmgtfy]Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act[/lmgtfy] (Stafford Act) (Pub.L. 100-707) is a United States federal law designed to bring an orderly and systemic means of federal natural disaster assistance for state and local governments in carrying out their responsibilities to aid citizens. The Stafford Act is a 1988 amended version of the Disaster Relief Act of 1974 (Pub.L. 93-288).

It created the system in place today by which a presidential disaster declaration of an emergency triggers financial and physical assistance through the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). The Act gives FEMA the responsibility for coordinating government-wide relief efforts. The Federal Response Plan it implements includes the contributions of 28 federal agencies and non-governmental organizations, such as the American Red Cross. It is named for Robert Stafford, who helped pass the law.

Congress amended it by passing the Disaster Mitigation Act of 2000 (Pub.L. 106-390), and again in 2006 with the Pets Evacuation and Transportation Standards Act (Pub.L. 109-308).

So what you content is that if it is not declared a disaster under the Stafford Act it is can not be a Presidentially Declared disaster.  Yet the Stafford Act only covers natural disasters, not every disaster type.

RG Little, Capt

Eclipse

Quote from: ammotrucker on February 05, 2011, 05:13:25 AM
So what you content is that if it is not declared a disaster under the Stafford Act it is can not be a Presidentially Declared disaster.  Yet the Stafford Act only covers natural disasters, not every disaster type.

Which appears to be exactly why it is not a PDDA.

"That Others May Zoom"

ammotrucker

The problem is we keep getting hung up on the Stafford Act as if that is the only type of Presidentially declared disaster because that's what we're used to under normal natural disaster scenarios.

In the case of DWH we have a federal response to a major disaster – as pointed out and declared more than once on TV by the President – but the Stafford Act is legally (and possibly Constitutionally) superseded by the Oil Pollution Act of 1990, which is the federal instrument for this type disaster just as the Stafford Act is the instrument for a FEMA led natural disaster. The OPA was created in response to the Exxon Valdez incident when it was discovered that the USCG and EPA were better lead federal agencies than FEMA for this type of incident. The OPA was created with the purpose of "expand the federal government's ability, and provide the money and resources necessary, to respond to oil spills." It is a federal response tool, just like the Stafford Act, but it is headed by the USCG or EPA – and it has special mechanisms for the federal government to recover costs through various means including litigation that would not be allowed under the Stafford Act.

RG Little, Capt

SarDragon

OK, now we have paired off to have another of our famous urination competitions.

May inquire as to the underlying reason for asking your original Q?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on February 05, 2011, 05:31:54 AM

$5 says this is related to not getting a DR-V for participation...

"That Others May Zoom"

NCRblues

OK, now we have paired off to have another of our famous urination competitions.

I'm going to say its for bling....
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

ammotrucker

Quote from: NCRblues on February 05, 2011, 05:43:37 AM

I'm going to say its for bling....

Bling or not, that is not the reasons for the question.
Most of you all probably did not participate in it so you could care less.  I did, and if I want the bling so be it.  I also believe that the other 250 or so members that participated deserve some type of pay, and if bling is all the pay we receive so be it.  Even though we responsed with over 20,000 hours of participation.

Now were does it state in any regulation weather CAP  or Federal that the Stafford Act needs to be instututed for there to be a Presidentially Declared Disaster.  That is the question?

RG Little, Capt

ammotrucker

SarDragon, I have been on the site for awhile and while many times I agree with your point of view.  But, by asking a question which may or may not be something that you want to talk about.  While I may have a different angle on the question, why do you state that it is "urination competiton". 

I have never read in CAPR 60-3 or CAPR 39-3 that the DR ribbon is only relegated to "natural disasters".  I think that it was a fair question.  You have always stated that this forum is a place to bring different point of view to lite. 

So, I guess that it is only a forum for you to post your point of view.
RG Little, Capt

arajca

The term "Presidential Declared Disaster" has a specific meaning and specific requirements. Those requirements are spelled out in the Stafford Act.

Even though the president may have publicly stated DWH was a disaster (and I don't think anyone would argue that it wasn't), it was not a formal Presidential Declared Disaster and does not qualify for the DR ribbon or the V device.

Eclipse

Quote from: ammotrucker on February 05, 2011, 05:53:35 AM
Now were does it state in any regulation weather CAP  or Federal that the Stafford Act needs to be instututed for there to be a Presidentially Declared Disaster.  That is the question?

See CAPR 39-3:

Disaster Relief Ribbon with  "V" Device.  The Disaster Relief Ribbon with a  "V" device may be awarded to any CAP member who participates in a disaster relief effort for a Presidential declared disaster. Participation must be verified by the on-scene commander.  Participation in any Presidential declared disaster since 1990 qualifies.

A PDDA is an avenue for a lot of things besides federal aid, including low-cost loans, tax relief, and other related financial and relief resources.  The only way to issue one is via the mandates of the Stafford Act, which is intended for natural disasters.

Not all federal aid is provided via a PDDA.

"That Others May Zoom"

ammotrucker

Quote from: arajca on February 05, 2011, 06:09:43 AM
The term "Presidential Declared Disaster" has a specific meaning and specific requirements. Those requirements are spelled out in the Stafford Act.

Even though the president may have publicly stated DWH was a disaster (and I don't think anyone would argue that it wasn't), it was not a formal Presidential Declared Disaster and does not qualify for the DR ribbon or the V device.

I would agree with that statement if this were a "disaster" that is covered under the Stafford Act.  But as we all know, this disaster was not covered under the Stafford Act even though it was discussed.

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R41234.pdf

The opening summary of that report acknowledges that the federal government already was using a federal disaster instrument on the oil spill, "That spill is currently being addressed by a law fashioned for that purpose, the Oil Pollution Act of 1990, P.L. 101-380." Just like the Stafford Act, the OPA requires a Presidential declaration, even if in a different format, to be enacted. That Congress weighed in on the options of using the Stafford Act versus the OPA to respond to DWH indicates their similarity even if they have different internal mechanisms and differing benefits for a given incident, and they're both federal assistance programs as required under HSPD-5, which is a Presidential Directive for homeland security.

RG Little, Capt

Eclipse

Yep, you're right, but it does not qualify for a DR-V under our current regulations.

Neither did Challenger or Fossett, which both had hundred of participants and thousands of hours flown, yet all the members got was
sortie credit and personal satisfaction.

"That Others May Zoom"

ammotrucker

Quote from: Eclipse on February 05, 2011, 06:27:28 AM
Yep, you're right, but it does not qualify for a DR-V under our current regulations.

Neither did Challenger or Fossett, which both had hundred of participants and thousands of hours flown, yet all the members got was
sortie credit and personal satisfaction.

While I would agree with the Challenger disaster, but Fossett was a pure SAR not a DR event

I know that the CAPR 39-3 regulation was posted above, were does it state anywhere within that regulation or any regulation that it be a Stafford Act declaration.

I see nothing in CAPR39-3 that says anything about the Stafford Act nor why we think that it is the only instrument that is indicative of a disaster being considered a Presidential declared disaster. HSPD-5 gives many alternatives to the Stafford Act provided the basic criteria, “state and local governments overwhelmed by an emergency request federal aid not only through Stafford Act declarations but also through  “catastrophic incidents” that, whether caused by natural or human actions, result in “extraordinary” mass casualties or disruptions of functions that might threaten national security; more than one federal agency is involved in incident response” is met. For example, since biological accidents are specifically excluded from the Stafford Act, the Secretary of HHS would invoke a federal response under Presidential Directive to assist the overwhelmed governmental entities. If CAP were to be asked to assist in such a case, would CAP not consider that a Presidential declared disaster even though it was executed by authority of a Presidential Directive through a Presidential appointed lead agency?

At the President’s direction DoJ, including AG Holder, have been involved in Deepwater making it a Presidential disaster with federal response. The President specifically appointed Adm Allen of the USCG to head the overall operation and coordinate with responding agencies, and BP. By some legal interpretations, BP could not have been a Unified Command lead partner under the specifics of the Stafford Act, so the President implemented the OPA which specifically allows and encourages industry expert involvement at the UC. Would the President have allocated such high level federal government officials to DWH if he did not consider it a Presidential level disaster?

RG Little, Capt

SarDragon

Quote from: ammotrucker on February 05, 2011, 06:05:58 AM

SarDragon, I have been on the site for awhile and while many times I agree with your point of view.  But, by asking a question which may or may not be something that you want to talk about.  While I may have a different angle on the question, why do you state that it is "urination competiton". 

I have never read in CAPR 60-3 or CAPR 39-3 that the DR ribbon is only relegated to "natural disasters".  I think that it was a fair question.  You have always stated that this forum is a place to bring different point of view to lite. 

So, I guess that it is only a forum for you to post your point of view.

Not at all. I expressed no opinion about the original post. Others did, and it seemed like it was going to be contentious, hence my reference to "urination competition". Since my previous post, it looks like it's getting more contentious, partly because it seems like you are unwilling to accept the information that has been posted by others.

I'm just pointing out observations.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RiverAux

If its not on the FEMA declared disaster list it doesn't count: http://www.fema.gov/news/disaster_totals_annual.fema

Interestingly, this list does include man-made disasters (nuclear, chemical/biological, "technological", "industry hardship"). 

ammotrucker

Ok, I'll stop this here and switch the tread into a different line.  Although it would come to the same conclusions.

While a Presidentially Declared disaster would be a specific FEMA act disaster.  As dictated by the "Declared" being capitolized.

Our regulation CAPR 39-3 states "g. Disaster Relief Ribbon with "V" Device. The Disaster Relief Ribbon with a silver "V" device may be awarded to any CAP member who participates in a disaster relief effort for a Presidential declared disaster. Participation must be verified by the on-scene commander. Participation in any Presidential declared disaster since 1990 qualifies."

This regulation  does not require that the a specific FEMA Declared Stafford Act disaster be used.  By the absence of capitolized "D" in declared sould this not be any event that the President states is a disaster.
RG Little, Capt

RiverAux

Hmm, by that logic if the President never specifically mentions it himself, then the FEMA disasters wouldn't count either.  That would disqualify most of them.

ammotrucker

Quote from: RiverAux on February 05, 2011, 06:27:53 PM
Hmm, by that logic if the President never specifically mentions it himself, then the FEMA disasters wouldn't count either.  That would disqualify most of them.

Declaring something can be in writing on orally.  By, verture of the President signing the Stafford Act it justifies the Presidents approval.  Just as any other instrument that the Federal government has. 
RG Little, Capt

RiverAux

QuoteDeclaring something can be in writing on orally.
Citation please that this statement is true as regards CAP regulations and/or Presidentially declared disasters. 

As you are the one looking to prove that a loophole exists the burden of proof is on you here. 

ol'fido

Can I take this question in the other direction? What is the point of putting a "V" device on a DR ribbon? If participating in Presidentially declared disasters rates a "V" which in the military means that the otherwise non-combat award was awarded for for "Valor" making it a combat award, why do we cut it off at 1990? CAP has been responding to natural disasters since its founding. If we award the DR-V ribbon for participating in a "Presidential" disaster does that make a plain old DR for local or state declared emergencies second class?

I know that CAP's only reward to its members is often the bling, but putting a device on our ribbons that is normally awarded for combat actions seems somewhat cheesy.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Thom

Quote from: ol'fido on February 05, 2011, 08:30:01 PM
Can I take this question in the other direction? What is the point of putting a "V" device on a DR ribbon? If participating in Presidentially declared disasters rates a "V" which in the military means that the otherwise non-combat award was awarded for for "Valor" making it a combat award, why do we cut it off at 1990? CAP has been responding to natural disasters since its founding. If we award the DR-V ribbon for participating in a "Presidential" disaster does that make a plain old DR for local or state declared emergencies second class?

I know that CAP's only reward to its members is often the bling, but putting a device on our ribbons that is normally awarded for combat actions seems somewhat cheesy.

That question has been asked and answered before. As I recall, the intent when the "V" version of the award was adopted was not that the V stood for Valor, but that it was a readily available attachment that would not conflict with the regular bronze and silver clasps already used to denote multiple awards. Much like the oddball Gold Star on the Command Service Ribon, used for almost nothing else in CAP, it is there because it was convenient.

To the OP's question: The term "Presidential Declared Disaster (Area)" has a special meaning, it is used in legal circles, and it was well understood to be a specific kind of disaster, meeting very specific requirements, starting with the Stafford Act. I'm sorry the person who wrote the CAP Regulation didn't capitalize it, but in fact it is often used in both the Capitalized and Non-Capitalized forms, all meaning the same thing: A Disaster which the President declared to be deserving of special assistance terms under the Stafford Act and some followup acts.

Here in Hurricane country we have been familiar with the term, and it's usage EXCLUSIVELY applying to Stafford Act-applied disasters for many years.

I'm not sure it quite fits the requirements for a 'term of art' but it is very much in that category. Much like the word Engineer has a very clear meaning in most States, despite the proliferation of Sanitation Engineers.

I'm sorry the Deepwater Horizon/Macondo disaster didn't get the Stafford Act declaration so the CAP members who gave thousands and thousands of hours would get the DR w/V ribbon, but I have to assume that at some point the Region or the National CC will put forward some sort of recognition for all those who helped.

Thank you for your efforts.

Thom

JeffDG

My question is, if the regulation is intended to only apply to Stafford Act declarations, why doesn't it say so?

Just because the Stafford Act is the most common legislative authority under which disasters are declared does not make it the only one.

Thom

Quote from: JeffDG on February 05, 2011, 10:26:04 PM
My question is, if the regulation is intended to only apply to Stafford Act declarations, why doesn't it say so?

Just because the Stafford Act is the most common legislative authority under which disasters are declared does not make it the only one.

Actually, unless you can find some evidence otherwise, the term "Presidential Declared Disaster (Area)" really does specifically mean, declared under the conditions of the Stafford Act or its follow-on Acts. And, yes, it is used both Capitalized and uncapitalized, it doesn't appear to have any legal bearing, just a matter of style.

When you see stuff from the IRS about "Special Deductions if you lived in a Presidential Declared Disaster Area last year", they mean one that was declared using the Stafford Act (et al, it's actually a family of related Acts, but everyone commonly just calls it Stafford Act, so I'm going to stop adding this verbiage...)

Same for when Fannie Mae or HUD says there are special rules allowing you to skip or reduce payments if you lived in a Presidential Declared Disaster Area, they mean a Stafford Act disaster.

I'm sorry they picked such an otherwise common term, they probably should have called them "Presidential Proclaimed Disasters of National Significance under the Auspices of the Stafford Act" or something similarly bloviated. Unfortunately, they picked a simple collection of words, which I will readily admit, had an entirely different meaning BEFORE the Stafford Act. After the Stafford Act, the phrase took on a very special meaning.

Much like the term Auxiliary has a different meaning to the Military than to most other lines of work, sometimes mere ordinary words get charged with a particular meaning for particular folks.

Now, if you want the CAP DR w/V ribbon to apply to all disasters where the President says something about how bad it is, send a proposal up the chain of command and the National Board can change it at the next meeting.

Thom

ammotrucker

Quote from: Thom on February 05, 2011, 10:48:14 PM

Actually, unless you can find some evidence otherwise, the term "Presidential Declared Disaster (Area)" really does specifically mean, declared under the conditions of the Stafford Act or its follow-on Acts. And, yes, it is used both Capitalized and uncapitalized, it doesn't appear to have any legal bearing, just a matter of style.

When you see stuff from the IRS about "Special Deductions if you lived in a Presidential Declared Disaster Area last year", they mean one that was declared using the Stafford Act (et al, it's actually a family of related Acts, but everyone commonly just calls it Stafford Act, so I'm going to stop adding this verbiage...)

Same for when Fannie Mae or HUD says there are special rules allowing you to skip or reduce payments if you lived in a Presidential Declared Disaster Area, they mean a Stafford Act disaster.

I'm sorry they picked such an otherwise common term, they probably should have called them "Presidential Proclaimed Disasters of National Significance under the Auspices of the Stafford Act" or something similarly bloviated. Unfortunately, they picked a simple collection of words, which I will readily admit, had an entirely different meaning BEFORE the Stafford Act. After the Stafford Act, the phrase took on a very special meaning.

Much like the term Auxiliary has a different meaning to the Military than to most other lines of work, sometimes mere ordinary words get charged with a particular meaning for particular folks.

Now, if you want the CAP DR w/V ribbon to apply to all disasters where the President says something about how bad it is, send a proposal up the chain of command and the National Board can change it at the next meeting.

Thom

Yet even the Stafford Act understands that there are other Laws that may apply -
"Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act, PL 100-707, signed into law November 23, 1988; amended the Disaster Relief Act of 1974, PL 93-288. This Act constitutes the statutory authority for most Federal disaster response activities especially as they pertain to FEMA and FEMA programs." 
I think that it is wrong that to place only a device or ribbons soley on a FEMA based acheivement.

It has been place into the pipeline to National for consideration.
RG Little, Capt

ammotrucker

Quote from: Thom on February 05, 2011, 10:48:14 PM

Thom

If you stated it that way there would still be confusion due to the fact that even though FEMA was involved it was a Spill or Disaster of National Significance
RG Little, Capt

RRLE

The definitions are in 42 USC 5122. Title 42 is the Disaster Relief title of the US Code (USC). Section 5122 is the definitions section. There are 2 key definitions from 42 USC 5122.                       

Quote(1) Emergency. - "Emergency" means any occasion or instance for which, in the determination of the President, Federal assistance is needed to supplement State and local efforts and capabilities to save lives and to protect property and public health and safety, or to lessen or avert the threat of a catastrophe in any part of the United States.

(2) Major disaster. - "Major disaster" means any natural catastrophe (including any hurricane, tornado, storm, high water, winddriven water, tidal wave, tsunami, earthquake, volcanic eruption, landslide, mudslide, snowstorm, or drought), or, regardless of cause, any fire, flood, or explosion, in any part of the United States, which in the determination of the President causes damage of sufficient severity and magnitude to warrant major disaster assistance under this chapter to supplement the efforts and available resources of States, local governments, and disaster relief organizations in alleviating the damage, loss, hardship, or suffering caused thereby.

The oil spill was not natural, nor was it a fire, explosion or flood so it was not a major disaster according to the USC. It does appear to fit the definition of an emergency but that does not meet the CAP criteria for the ribbon.

Code of Federal Regula tons (CFR) 13 CFR 300.3

QuotePresidentially-Declared Disaster means a major disaster or emergency declared under the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act, as amended (42 U.S.C. 5121 et seq.).

So a Presidentially-Declared Disaster has to be a major disaster, which the spill was not, and it must involve a declaration under the Stafford act, which the spill did not have.

So, returning to the original 3 questions:

1. I want to know what you all think a Presidentially declared disaster is?

A major disaster with an invocation of the Stafford Act.

2. What makes a Presidentially declared disaster?

A major disaster with an invocation of the Stafford Act.

3. Do you think that Deepwater Oil Spill qualifies if Yes qualify if NO why not?

No, it does not met the legal defintion.

arajca

a2capt

The reg is what the reg is. Don't like it? Change it.

Swaying the public opinion of a bunch of forum posters on the internet isn't going to change the reg, or change the meaning of it, or any other iteration thereof.

Just like the duo who volunteered in Louisiana (as private citizens) to work during the Columbia accident, and then came to CAWG and joined units, and pinned on the Unit Citation award for the Columbia Mission. .. "well, we worked.. " yeah, but you didn't work during your membership of a Wing that was awarded it, under the direction of that command that was awarded it. So, you should not have it on.

RiverAux

The oil spill was the result of an explosion so could have been considered a major disaster using the definition from the US code that was supplied. 

Eclipse

Actually, I would say it was a major disaster, it just wasn't a major natural disaster, thus, plenty of federal help, but a PDDA would have been inappropriate.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on February 07, 2011, 04:20:05 AM
Actually, I would say it was a major disaster, it just wasn't a major natural disaster, thus, plenty of federal help, but a PDDA would have been inappropriate.

A natural disaster is one reason for a declaration:
(2) Major disaster. - "Major disaster" means any natural catastrophe (including any hurricane, tornado, storm, high water, winddriven water, tidal wave, tsunami, earthquake, volcanic eruption, landslide, mudslide, snowstorm, or drought), or, regardless of cause, any fire, flood, or explosion,

nesagsar

It took a while for DNA and blood evidence to be admissible in court, if you want the definition of a presidentially declared disaster to change just lobby for it. I would say that Deepwater Horizon would be good ammunition in that battle.

Al Sayre

FWIW, this was discussed at the SER Ops Conference at Tyndall.  HQ (including CAP-USAF) is looking at a change to allow the DR w/ V for DWH.  Be patient, these things take time, especially since every other group that had an "undeclared" disaster will want in on the deal, and they have to separate the wheat from the chaff. 
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Eclipse

^ I'd be in favor of that - no one is saying the effort isn't worth recognizing, but like many things, the regs is the regs.

Why not dump the "V", and go with a "P" for PDDA's, and an "M" for anything else NHQ deems as "Major" - this still requires
national attention to the award of the ribbon (whether POTUS or HEADCAP).

"That Others May Zoom"

starshippe

. . well, i heard that there just may be a special ribbon being designed for dwh.
. . i believe that the original bronze v for the pdda was changed to a silver v because the bronze v has always signified valor on military ribbons. in any event, for us old timers with other pddas in the last 20 years, if u have more than one, the v stays on the left as viewed from in front, and not the center.
. . my take on the answer to the original question is "no", dwh does not qualify for a pdda.

bill wallace, maj., cap
ic, dwh 

RiverAux

Quote from: Eclipse on February 07, 2011, 05:02:07 PM
^ I'd be in favor of that - no one is saying the effort isn't worth recognizing, but like many things, the regs is the regs.

Why not dump the "V", and go with a "P" for PDDA's, and an "M" for anything else NHQ deems as "Major" - this still requires
national attention to the award of the ribbon (whether POTUS or HEADCAP).
Given that it doesn't take much of a disaster to get a presidential declaration I see no reason to have separate awards to recognize participation in federal-level disasters.  Heck, if a tree falls across a highway it seems to get a presidential declaration recently. 

lordmonar

I would suggest that we ditch the DR ribbon as it is now (just for getting the training and working on exercises) and just award the DR ribbon for actual work on actual disasters whether they are Presdentally declared or not. 

Just let NHQ make the call on how big the "disaster" has to be to warrent the ribbon.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

Quote from: lordmonar on February 07, 2011, 10:47:16 PM
I would suggest that we ditch the DR ribbon as it is now (just for getting the training and working on exercises) and just award the DR ribbon for actual work on actual disasters whether they are Presdentally declared or not. 

Just let NHQ make the call on how big the "disaster" has to be to warrent the ribbon.
They need to seriously revamp the criteria for that award anyway and I'd tend to agree with the idea that it should only be given out for actual missions like the Air SAR ribbon. 

wacapgh

Quote from: lordmonar on February 07, 2011, 10:47:16 PM

Which would almost be a return to the criteria for what this ribbon was previously used for - "Civil Defence". Same ribbon with a silver "CD Triangle" device (the thing our logo is based on  ;D). It was awarded after participation in either three or five "CDX"s. Had it as a cadet, lost it during a break in membership when they deleted it, rejoined and got it back on a PDDA mission.

starshippe

. . if thats a bronze v, shouldn't it be changed out for a silver v?

just askin, in the spirit of nit pickin',
bill

wacapgh

'twas accurate at the time the graphic was created  ;D