Unmanned Drones Perform Autonomous SAR Operations

Started by sardak, July 21, 2010, 08:16:11 PM

sardak

The article title is a bit of a stretch, but here's the article. In it is a link to the researchers' paper and another article. UAV and Autonomous SAR

The drone project simplifies [SAR] by equipping a miniature aircraft, just a 4-foot wingspan, with a video camera. A SAR operator directs the plane by clicking on a computerized map. The plane can also work autonomously, by analyzing the terrain and using probabilistic models to determine a lost person's likely route.

A color anomaly detection algorithm is currently under development that adapts hyperspectral anomaly detection methods to find man-made objects in wilderness scenes.

Mike

SABRE17

a unit like this would help ground teams infinitely in poor weather when aircrews cannot fly, usually in marginal weather or where the search may encompass a large area with only one team,  but the target may be too low to fly a 182. happened to me

FARRIER

Sounds like a good, joint aerospace project for cadets and seniors. :)
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

Flying Pig

Quote from: sardak on July 21, 2010, 08:16:11 PM
The article title is a bit of a stretch, but here's the article. In it is a link to the researchers' paper and another article. UAV and Autonomous SAR

The drone project simplifies [SAR] by equipping a miniature aircraft, just a 4-foot wingspan, with a video camera. A SAR operator directs the plane by clicking on a computerized map. The plane can also work autonomously, by analyzing the terrain and using probabilistic models to determine a lost person's likely route.

A color anomaly detection algorithm is currently under development that adapts hyperspectral anomaly detection methods to find man-made objects in wilderness scenes.

Mike

What Ive learned about those models, and the tracks of lost people, is that I have never located anyone where we thought they would be, and the one that were alive.....found out they took routes we NEVER thought anyone would take.

Patterson

A few more years and drones will be flying all over the US...under the guise of "searching for missing people". 

Flying Pig

Patterson

^ haha.....yes Sir! 

I could see them being used along borders, tracking suspicious vehicles across state lines, following suspicious people around and whatever the FED decides is legal (or whatever they decide they can try to get away with by going around the constitution). 

Flying Pig

Eeehhh.....we do it with airplanes with high altitude optics,  even with almost the exact same camera as whats on a UAV.
Heck...thats my day job!  Doing it with a drone wouldnt make it any more/less legal.  Following them across state lines is of no concern.  Surveillances arent required to stop at the state border.   I guess doing everyday, and knowing who and why we are following people, Im all for it.