Cyber Patriot

Started by Eeyore, April 23, 2009, 05:07:02 AM

Eeyore

Has anyone else seen this (Cyber Patriot flyer attached)? Just came down the pipeline.

This doesn't really seem like something that goes along with the missions of the cadet program, I don't think it's an AF program either. Maybe CAP is starting to try and catch up with technology through the Cadets.  :D

Could be fun for the computer types though.

Thoughts?

addo1

Well, it actually looks pretty cool... I have looked at cyberspace defending as something that I might want to try to do as a carrer someday... This might be something I will try out.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

flyguy06

I just got read about it in an email I got from my Squadron CC before I came  onto CAPTalk tonight.

BTCS1*

It seems like a great opprotunity, I will be on (possibly heading) a team for my squadron.
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

cap_4_life

Quote from: edmo1 on April 23, 2009, 05:07:02 AMThis doesn't really seem like something that goes along with the missions of the cadet program, I don't think it's an AF program either.

I respectfully disagree. 

Cadet programs teach leadership amongst the youth through an interest in aviation to inspire service to the Air Force and the local community. (paraphrasing CAPR 52-16) 

Cadets can already serve in their unit as Cadet ITO or Assistant Cadet ITO.  And if they meet the quals and pass the ITO technician's test, they can wear the Info Tech device on their uniforms. 

Cyber Patriot is a contest for cadets to demonstrate how to secure and maintain a network of computers against cyber attacks - both in their unit and in their communities (how many unsecured home wireless networks do we have in this country?).   It's one of the few places Cadets can act hands-on in real warfare... and believe me, Cyber-terrorism and cyber-warfare are very real threats - especially to aviation.

Sounds like a spot-on cadet program to me.  And an awesome one at that!

We're absolutely fielding a team for this in our squadron.  I hope to see lots of others enter as well.  And I might add editorially... it's about time! 

Here's to the youth and their brilliance.  May it replace our generally dim view and light our way.

8)

"When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around.  But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years." ~Mark Twain
1Lt John Julian, Sr., CAP
Squadron ITO
Columbia Composite Sqdn - OR-073

Cadet Dan

The Air Force expands it's reach into air, space and cyberspace. A large amount of the Air Force cyberspace careers are probably dealing with computer defense or anti hacking. I think it would be a good learning opportunity for someone looking into that career path.

Eeyore

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't attacking the program. Just making light of it.  ;D

I also will have cadets competing in this, the only downside is I have plenty of younger cadets who want to be involved and aren't old enough yet. Guess they will have to wait until next year.

maverik

I am trying to convince my squadron. Overall this sounds really fun and we have some people in the squadron who are just awesome with computers so I'm sure we could do it. But would we need one or multiple computers?
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne