CAP Activity Ideas ?

Started by SM-MADDOG, January 22, 2009, 10:38:14 AM

SM-MADDOG

Im wanting to try to develop a memoral event to honor a member Who sadly died early jan of 09. Im thinking to hold either a cadet or both cadet and senior events. Some ideas I have are below. Any other ideas some of You cadets and senior members have would be great, thanks. I dont really have that many ideas right now, I would like to give everyone a certficate who attends the event and for the squadrons which place 1st and 2nd place in an event give a trophy and mabey have for overal 1st place and 2nd of all the events.

PT Type Events:

Mile Run
35 yard dash
push ups
sit ups

Drill & Ceromonies
CAP History 
2nd Lt, CAP

Eclipse

Cadet Olympics tend to pretty popular, however the comments are generally that they don't want to just "do PT in formation".

They want to do activities that promote team building, or are unusual.

A CAP Quiz-bowl can be a part of that, though I would leave the D&C out of the competition unless you are prepared to become an expert yourself.  I've seen several situations go down in "bad-feeling flames" because the PIC's were not properly versed in being DT judges and made assumptions or cut corners - bad mojo to those who train against the whole book.

I'd suggest a traveling trophy with room for 10-20 years of competition - we've had great luck locally with a team-based event that pulls the activities from GPL and management-type situations.  The traveling trophy and coins have become quite coveted.

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

I've seen squadrons arrange a hiking trip and leave a small memorial item at the summit of whatever mountain they hike.  They do a brief "he was a great guy" talk, everyone is there - and have accomplished something in remembrance of the individual.

You could do a 5K memorial run.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

caprr275

you could do a DF event. My group does them and they are fun

SM-MADDOG

Quote from: Eclipse on January 22, 2009, 01:37:57 PM
Cadet Olympics tend to pretty popular, however the comments are generally that they don't want to just "do PT in formation".

They want to do activities that promote team building, or are unusual.

A CAP Quiz-bowl can be a part of that, though I would leave the D&C out of the competition unless you are prepared to become an expert yourself.  I've seen several situations go down in "bad-feeling flames" because the PIC's were not properly versed in being DT judges and made assumptions or cut corners - bad mojo to those who train against the whole book.

I'd suggest a traveling trophy with room for 10-20 years of competition - we've had great luck locally with a team-based event that pulls the activities from GPL and management-type situations.  The traveling trophy and coins have become quite coveted.

Thanks for those ideas they are great, and thanks to the others for the ideas. Yeah I wouldnt want to just do PT type events. I remember when I was in JROTC they had an all day event and had tug of war, mile run, and several other events. It was pretty fun and they went up against all the other schools/JROTC branches.

Yeah, as for the D&C It may not be a problem we have several seniors and senior cadets within group that could judge it. I could even call up My high school i attended and see if master guns wanted to come judge events. Hes a retired master gunnery sgt USMC. Cool guy served Vietnam. I think I will discuss this with my squadron commander he has allot of knowledge on verious areas such as D&C, etc.

I like the hike idea to then at the end give a short speech for the memorial rememberance and hand out awards. I really like the idea of a coin to.
2nd Lt, CAP