DDR - Why?

Started by Stonewall, January 03, 2009, 05:53:36 PM

Stonewall

Someone contacted me via PM asking about something and mentioned DDR.  I remember in 1994 during "Red Ribbon Week" in the Pentagon CAP had a set-up for DDR; that was the first I had heard about it.  Or was it 1995?  Either way, I wasn't too sure why we were starting up some program to educate outsiders on the use of illegal drugs.  Then came the CAP Honor Guard drill team thing and somehow that got incorprated with DDR.

I never quite understood it, but somehow we could have been given lots of money at the squadron level for doing something DDR related.  I was very against it and I'm not even sure how it worked.  All I remember is being told if we did this, this, and that as it related to educating people about the negative affects of drug use, we'd get cash.  Is that what CAP is about?  Is that what the Cadet Program is about?  To me, it is a cause and effect thing; a kid joins CAP and is around good people (most of the time) and by default, remains off drugs (most of the time).

Still to this day I have no idea what purpose DDR serves in CAP.  I think it takes our focus away from the core purpose of CAP; i.e. the 3 primary missions.  While money is good, I have never had a lot of money in a squadron anyway, and we more than exceeded our goals and objectives.

Anyone else have feelings on DDR?  Pro or con?  I'm always open to change my mind, but I'd really need to be sold on why DDR is good thing for CAP.
Serving since 1987.

CAPLAW

I tried to get some DDR materials from national but FLWG is on a logistics freeze so no DDR down here

"Sorry kids we are on a freeze we will just say no later" ;D

RiverAux

Believe it or not DDR was originally a form of direct CAP support for Air Force operations and was supposed to be targeted at communities near military bases.  It has been liberalized since then.   

From CAPR 55-1 here is what it is supposed to do:
Drug Demand Reduction Vision
To be a leading force in America's drug demand reduction strategy through the education and development of tomorrow's leaders in voluntary community service for a drug-free world.
Drug Demand Reduction Mission Statement
The Civil Air Patrol Drug Demand Reduction Program assists squadrons, groups, wings, and regions to instill an aggressive, positive, drug-free attitude in CAP members, AF families, DoD civilians, and school-age children through a comprehensive program that:
Promotes CAP as a positive community service lifestyle.
Encourages youth to remain in school.
Focuses on drug abuse education, prevention, and awareness.
Provides positive activities as an alternative to drugs and gang violence.

I too have always questioned the need for and effectiveness of this program.  I think it is well past due some sort of formal evaluation on how well it meets these goals.  There are actually a bunch of really specific targets in the regulations and I would be interested to see how well we meet them, though mostly they involve how much effort we're putting into it rather than whether or not it is achieving what we want. 

However, DDR funding doesn't generally impact other CAP funding.  We get this money primarily from the AF Surgeon General according to the reg (though apparently other AF money can be requested). 

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: "JAFO" on January 03, 2009, 06:37:15 PM
I tried to get some DDR materials from national but FLWG is on a logistics freeze so no DDR down here

"Sorry kids we are on a freeze we will just say no later" ;D
Be advised, FLWG is no longer on a freeze, as of at least 24 Dec, and I have already processed and approved a request to use DDR items for an activity.

Just because you can't get items from NHQs catalog doesn't mean you can't hold DDR activities.  I mentioned this in every response I gave to a request for materials while we were on freeze.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Nathan

Eh, I'm mixed on it.

I remember an embarrassing situation with a DDR activity during an encampment. The staff was supposed to do a DDR project with the cadets while they were waiting to rappel, and the project was that each flight had to make a poster and presentation on a certain type of drug. They would outline the effects of the drug, short and long-term effects, and so on. We gave them booklets that provided the information, but hey, it killed time.

While I was perusing the book with some of the upper staff, we couldn't help but notice that this book wasn't exactly helpful in keeping cadets from doing drugs. Not only did it list drugs and the bad stuff, but also the regular "good" effects of drugs, the cost, where they are usually found, and so on.

"Whippets? Hmm.. they cost about $2 a hit... they have no long term effects... they kill less brain cells than a sneeze... you can find them anywhere... hmm... I should try this..." ::)

Yeah, I think the DDR program is kind of redundant as a seperate portion of the cadet program. Simply being a CAP cadet encourages them to make good choices, and we can surely educate them about how drug use will affect them. And the whole "getting kicked out" thing tends to serve as a pretty decent deterrent for anyone who wants to stay in CAP. Putting on a uniform and being motivated to progress through the program should do all the work of the DDR program without the program itself.

I am certainly not against the DDR program, but it would definitely not throw the world off its axis if it went the way of the CAP Safety Pledge.  ;)
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

jimmydeanno

CAP ties DDR in by having discussions/skits, etc about drugs and swamping us with a bunch of junk none of us need.  There is way more to the program and it's intended execution. 

Every Air Force base has a DDR office and they support activities and events for the youth for the base. 
They don't just hand out junk.

For example, when I worked for base services at Langley AFB the DDR office helped to support many of the summer camps for the military kids.

I think the key is the "provide positive activities."  So, if your squadron wants to go to a museum or sporting event, etc but don't have the funds...the DDR program could provide those funds. 

I just get sick of all the drug discussions and the DDR calendars that talk about our 7 core values and have instructions on how to make "cheese heroin."  The program has good potential to really assist our cadets but it is being implimented poorly by CAP members.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Timbo

I turned DDR into a recruiting tool.  Kids love to get free junk.  So Airshows, and other recruiting opps, I got tons of shirts (when they were available) and those wood airplanes, pens and pencils, glow sticks and beer soda can cozies (never understood that one).  Printed up SQD contact info on little stickers and stuck the stickers to the items.  I netted around 15 to 20 cadets for the SQD per year.

Oh...as far as DDR presentations that you "say you will do" when getting the junk, I set up a small display in the SQD with some pamphlets stapled to it.  That way I don't feel like I lied.  And once a year would setup outside either the local K-Mart or Walmart and answer questions for those unlucky enough to stroll over, and get sucked into my recruiting pitch.   >:D >:D

PLUS I got extra $$ just for meeting within 5 miles of an AFB.  At first I worked with their DDR Officers and Civilians, but then it fell off when DDR was underfunded by DoD.  I really did not see anything big getting accomplished anyway.     

Flying Pig

My Sq. does not do it.  We have a Chaplain and a good Moral Leadership Program where these things are discussed.  I didnt see the need to have a separate DDR Program.

I guess if someone came in and was passionate about it, I would have no problem with it.  I just think its a redundant program for what CAP already is.

SamFranklin

Why do we have a DDR program? Because we have cadets. It's that simple.

Even if the Air Force Surgeon General did not make funds available to us, I'd like to think we'd still have a drug free theme in our Cadet Program. We can't promote "Excellence in All We Do" while being mute on how drugs ruin lives.

52-16, chapter 1, shows how DDR is one aspect of the moral leadership (now character development) program element:

MORAL LEADERSHIP 

GOAL The goal of the Cadet Program's moral leadership element is to develop in cadets a commitment to live CAP's Core Values, and the ability to think critically about moral and ethical issues.

(2) METHODS.....  Drug-Free Activities. CAP encourages all members, especially cadets, to participate in activities that promote a drug-free ethic. See paragraph 1-7 and CAPR 51-1, Drug Demand Reduction Program, for details.

RiverAux

I don't think anyone would object to having the message included in other activities, but it could easily be done without DDR officers, regulations, handouts, etc.  Personally, I think any contact time we have with kids outside of CAP should be focused on AE activities as educating the public about AE is one of our core missions -- DDR is not. 

Interestingly, there seems to be an increasing interest in DDR within CAP.  According to the numbers in the DDR newsletters for 2008, the number of members with DDR positions has increased by 18% and the number of people enrolled in the DDR specialty track has increased by a whopping 220% (though 71% of those people haven't even got Tech yet). 

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: RiverAux on January 04, 2009, 11:12:52 PM
I don't think anyone would object to having the message included in other activities, but it could easily be done without DDR officers, regulations, handouts, etc.  Personally, I think any contact time we have with kids outside of CAP should be focused on AE activities as educating the public about AE is one of our core missions -- DDR is not.

TOP FIVE CATCHPHRASES FOR A MIXED DDR-AE PRESENTATION

"If you take LSD, it doesn't mean you can fly. Didn't the '60s teach you anything?"

"If you want to get high, take off -- don't shoot up."

"R. Kelly is wrong. You may believe it, but you can't really fly."

"Shoot a model rocket up, not a syringe."

"Space out with us, not with drugs."

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Timbo

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on January 05, 2009, 05:37:48 AM

"If you take LSD, it doesn't mean you can fly. Didn't the '60s teach you anything?"

Those are the Posters NHQ keeps sending my SQD....right?!?!  Glad I never took them out of the package. 

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: Timbo on January 05, 2009, 05:54:12 AM
Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on January 05, 2009, 05:37:48 AM

Those are the Posters NHQ keeps sending my SQD....right?!?!  Glad I never took them out of the package. 

No... one of the last set was a "happy holidays from your DDR team" poster. It had snow and a rail fence on it, which has nothing to do with Florida....

I think the other one was a smattering of illegal-drug names with a slogan underneath, but I can't remember without looking at it.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Timbo

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on January 05, 2009, 06:07:46 PM
No... one of the last set was a "happy holidays from your DDR team" poster. It had snow and a rail fence on it, which has nothing to do with Florida....

I think the other one was a smattering of illegal-drug names with a slogan underneath, but I can't remember without looking at it.

Waste of Money.  Waste of your money, my money and every taxpaying individual.  We need to start running things like a business which happens to find itself in a recession.  That means cut every single expense down to the minimum operating dollar.  DDR has been cut by DoD in the past, I think we may see it cut again, and if the CAP DDR program needs to shut down, I won't shed a tear over it.  I can tell young men and women and children the deadly results of drug use, just as well (if not better) than a poster. 

"DDR-Why?"  My answer......there is no why to it.  It is money the AF throws us in the appropriation that is to be used on DDR activities in CAP.  No one real reason, just a "do it" from Big Blue Air Force.  Honestly, I would place ten dollars that it will be one of the areas we see dry up in the future, when our appropriation gets downsized, and CAP NHQ tells AF "how about cutting DDR, but we need the money to go to _________"

ThorntonOL

The problem with many of us with the trainee postion is getting the training. And then there is the 1 YEAR training period, (might be more.)
Otherwise I would be a Techie by now in that field.
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

MikeD

Quote from: Timbo on January 04, 2009, 05:28:25 PM
I turned DDR into a recruiting tool.  Kids love to get free junk.  So Airshows, and other recruiting opps, I got tons of shirts (when they were available) and those wood airplanes, pens and pencils, glow sticks and beer soda can cozies (never understood that one).  Printed up SQD contact info on little stickers and stuck the stickers to the items.  I netted around 15 to 20 cadets for the SQD per year.

Oh...as far as DDR presentations that you "say you will do" when getting the junk, I set up a small display in the SQD with some pamphlets stapled to it.  That way I don't feel like I lied.  And once a year would setup outside either the local K-Mart or Walmart and answer questions for those unlucky enough to stroll over, and get sucked into my recruiting pitch.   >:D >:D

PLUS I got extra $$ just for meeting within 5 miles of an AFB.  At first I worked with their DDR Officers and Civilians, but then it fell off when DDR was underfunded by DoD.  I really did not see anything big getting accomplished anyway.     

Wait, so you're saying I could get some kind of a CAP drink cozy?  That'd be awesome!

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: MikeD on January 11, 2009, 08:22:03 AM
Quote from: Timbo on January 04, 2009, 05:28:25 PM

Wait, so you're saying I could get some kind of a CAP drink cozy?  That'd be awesome!

You can have one, as long as you say you won't do drugs. And you have to use the magic word, too.

;D