Problems in the Squadron

Started by Sm_Morgan, December 05, 2008, 05:01:04 PM

Pumbaa

This has to be one of the better threads discussed in a LONG time!  Practical and something we all can learn and apply in the future.

lordmonar

So....basically you got an even bigger problem.

Getting all of the CAP property this individual has.

Long story short though....she has a right to the records...we can't deny her that.

She has a right to leave the squadron....we can deny that if she were subject to some investigation or she was leaveing after being disciplined (i.e. SM X got mad he was not promoted so chose to transfer).

She has the right to resign.

In either case she can request her records and we would have to produce a copy......in fact anyone at any time should be able to see and copy their records.

I say just cut your losses.  Get the keys back and say good riddance.  Looking into your internal programs and fix what needs to be fixed and move on.

Don't 2b her....just let her membership run out.  If she tries to transfer...let her.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

JAFO78

To me the problem here is that we should not be talking about the CAPT taking her files and those of her kids, BUT the actions of the cadet who made the comment towards the Capt. The records are just paper, but the child needs to be dealt with.
JAFO

NC Hokie

Quote from: Rob Goodman on December 05, 2008, 11:08:51 PM
To me the problem here is that we should not be talking about the CAPT taking her files and those of her kids, BUT the actions of the cadet who made the comment towards the Capt. The records are just paper, but the child needs to be dealt with.

As does the culture in a squadron that allowed this kind of behavior to go on unchecked (the OP said that cadet Smith "is allways harassing the Jones Brothers") until a parent (who just happened to be a member) had to step in.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Eclipse

Quote from: Pumbaa on December 05, 2008, 09:51:00 PM
This has to be one of the better threads discussed in a LONG time!  Practical and something we all can learn and apply in the future.

It certainly shines light on an all too typical situation in CAP - something relatively minor happens between members, doesn't matter what it actually is, but one member does something thoughtless, violates a reg, or otherwise is a goober (or a kid, yes I said kid).

The the reaction of the "victim" is so overblown, that ultimately what cause the initial problem is either forgotten or downplayed, and the reaction, and ramifications of those actions, becomes the focus.

In this case, the good Captain is more than eligible to be voted off the island based on her essentially stealing CAP property, failure to follow complaint procedure, and a whole host of other nitpicky things you can start tacking onto the 2b.

What should have happened was a low-impact conversation between commanders and parents, some cadet suspensions, probably reduction of grade, and a month or two of no X-box for Smith.

I've seen this scenario way too many times. 

Remember, the paramilitary environment's opportunities also come with responsibilities to follow all the rules, and sometimes being "right" doesn't mean you'll get full (or any) satisfaction, especially immediate gratification.

"That Others May Zoom"

Sm_Morgan

Excuse my ignorance because I learned volumes from this post and would like to know what is an anti bullying program and does CAP offer a program or is their a reg that entails what can go into a anti bullying program. It sound like it would be beneficial to look into such a program.

DC

Quote from: Sm_Morgan on December 07, 2008, 11:45:54 PM
Excuse my ignorance because I learned volumes from this post and would like to know what is an anti bullying program and does CAP offer a program or is their a reg that entails what can go into a anti bullying program. It sound like it would be beneficial to look into such a program.
Google "Anti Bullying Programs" and you will get a wealth of information.

Also, I would talk to your Chaplain or MLO about working some if this into your regular Moral Leadership classes.

You also need to stop things of that sort as soon as it is noticed, take both cadets aside, talk to them, and if necessary, punish the bully. Make it clear that such behavior is not tolerated or appropriate behavior for CAP cadets.

Eclipse

Quote from: Sm_Morgan on December 07, 2008, 11:45:54 PM

There is no CAP "anti-bullying" program per-se, nor any means to direct a member into such a program.

The program itself, based on its tenants of respect for others, a command chain, etc., is essentially an anti-bullying program, and the kind of behavior that a bully would be perpetrating would be dealt with through disciplinary actions, retraining, or both.

The encampment RST modules are probably the closet thing to that, but don't address "bullying" by name, and aren't required for normal cadet training, though certainly they could be.

"That Others May Zoom"