Problems in the Squadron

Started by Sm_Morgan, December 05, 2008, 05:01:04 PM

Sm_Morgan

I am saddened to say that our squadron is plagued  with problems I am looking for guidance to that it may be handled internally. We had a cadet cadet Smith (not real name) he is allways harassing the Jones Brothers one night the Jones Brothers were leaving a CAP meeting with cadet Davis and Cadet Smith walks up to 2 cadets this evening the other Jones brother was not there and says to Jones I raped your mother his mother is CPT Jones she is in the squadron as well.
squadron did not address the matter when it was finally handled he was suspended for 1 month Capt Jones was not satisfied with the situation and they have not been back to the squadron since that time Capt Jones came back to the squadron and removed not only her files but her sons files I am the admin Officer
I let my commanding officer know that the files are missing can the Jones boys be 2b'd for their Mom's Actions we have tried talking to her it has just escalated to the point that another family did not like all these negative comments and they are leaving the squadron know we have 7 people that wont be in our squadron what a mess. I would like to see this handled internally but don't see how?

jeders

First of all, Cadet Smith should have been disciplined immediately for making such comments, possibly even 2B'd. At the very least he should be seperated from the other cadets for a while. Since that wasn't done, then you can only move on from there. Disciplining cadet Smith is still an option, but if he's already been suspended and he's not misbehaving, then accept it and go on.

Second, why would you punish someone for taking their file which they have every right to do? If they don't want to be in the squadron, then they won't be in the squadron. Sucks, but that's life.

Finally, your post is one incredibly long sentence. Please, use punctuation and grammar. It took me several times reading through that to figure out what you were even saying.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Cecil DP

Sound like the squadron, by ignoring Smith's actions allowed the situation to develop. If this was a paid environment it would be called a "Hostile workplace". Captain Jones was within her rights to remove her sons and their records presumably to join another unit. Why would you 2b people for refusing to put up with the actions you've reported?
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

NC Hokie

Quote from: Cecil DP on December 05, 2008, 05:24:38 PM
Why would you 2b people for refusing to put up with the actions you've reported?

To take it even further, why would you 2B the Jones cadets for something their mother did?
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Eclipse

The members can take their files, but only from one Squadron to the next when transferring, I don't think you can just say "give me my file" and then bolt, never to be seen again.

Though its probably a non-issue, since most important things are online these days and it would be much harder to fudge
anything on the hard copies than it was in days past.

"That Others May Zoom"

capchiro

In essence, CAPR39-2 says "Members who transfer, resign, retire, or fail to renew may request their membership records from the unit. The unit should keep a copy of the former member's personnel record in the inactive file."  I would say that the Captain is in violation of this Reg because she took the files without permission and did not give the losing squadron the opportunity to make a copy of their files as required.  If I was the squadron CO, I would call her and ask her to return the files to be copied and at that time try to talk to her about the problems and see what action needed to be followed to comply with the Regs regarding the conduct of the cadet and his disparaging comment about her and his action toward the cadets..As usual, JMHO..
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Pylon

Sounds like interpersonal issues which could best be resolved for all parties by a cool-headed commander making some calls and working to calm the tension.  The commander should be making calls to all of the parties individually and perhaps arrange a mediated meeting to smooth things over.  I don't see anything that is "2B"-level offenses in there and I don't see why your squadron should be losing 7 members over an interpersonal problem.

Cadet Smith's comments were unprofessional and uncalled for.  But if this is not a chronic problem, and you haven't tried progressive discipline, then termination is the wrong answer.   In other words, the first time something like this happens you give a verbal correction on the spot.   The second time, issue a written letter of counseling and place it in his or her file for 90 days.   Third, letter of reprimand with appropriate consequences (lose a stripe, 30 day suspension, etc.).  After you've exhausted all your avenues to help a cadet meet the expectations and standards, only then should you consider something like a 2B.

As for the personnel files, someone who talks smoothly in your unit should call the Captain and say "Hi, Captain.  I'm sorry about this whole situation and I can understand your frustration.  Just to let you know, our regulations require us to keep a copy of your files.  What time is best this week for me to stop by so I can make copies of your personnel records?"
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

lordmonar

The question is.....did "Capt Jones" quit CAP or is her intent to transfer?

The follow up question is....if she is transfering, is it your squadron's intent to block that transfer?

Either way she has a right to her and her kids records.  The squadron should have made copies...but the opertive word is "should" she is not in violation of any rules...the squadron was not doing their job.

As for the initial incident....well...things like that happen.  The cadet in quesiton was suspended but the parent was not happy....welcome to the world of squadron command.

Member's not happy with leadership are always free to vote with their feet...and it looks like that is exactly what Capt Jones did.

From a command perspective....I would have to ask how was it possible for Capt Jones to remove the records with out you or your commander's knowledge?  That is a secondary situation that needs to be corrected.

Now on the the proposed 2b action.  It would be completely appropriate for you to contact Capt Jones and find out her intentions.  If she intends to resign then it would be appropriate to process a 2b on them.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

If she wants to resign why 2b her?  That would prevent her from joining again if that was her wish.   

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on December 05, 2008, 06:59:33 PM
From a command perspective....I would have to ask how was it possible for Capt Jones to remove the records with out you or your commander's knowledge?  That is a secondary situation that needs to be corrected.

I agree, and potentially more important than the behavior situation, which at this point probably needs higher HQ intervention.  Members records are supposed to be secured from general access.

"Gimme my files..." is not enough.

"OK, I'm going to transfer..." - Great, as soon as the transfer request comes through eServices I will be glad to give you your jacket after we make a copy.

"Fine, I'll just resign then..." Excellent, I'll have the Admin officer prepare the 2b while we make a copy of your records, but I can't give them to you until you sign it.

Otherwise, you direct her to leave, and engage local law enforcement for trespassing if she won't.

And your next call better be to the Group CC or Wing CC, because while the above is appropriate and protects all involved, there is going to be a poop storm coming your way...

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: Angus on December 05, 2008, 07:12:47 PM
If she wants to resign why 2b her?  That would prevent her from joining again if that was her wish.   

Same form - voluntary resignation does not preclude future membership.

We use "2B" as the "big stick", but its used for separation for any reason.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ok, I thought it was only for the big stick alone.  You learn something new every day.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Larry Mangum

And there is no way the wing king is not going to know about the 2b action as he or she must sign off on all 2b's. In fact if the wing king is smart he will also run it by the wing legal officer before signing it.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

Eclipse

Listed criteria for termination (taken from the CAPF 2b):

Cadet -

VOLUNTARY RESIGNATION

DROPPED OUT OF SCHOOL
MARRIED
LACK OF INTEREST (failure to attend three meetings without acceptable excuse)
JOINED ARMED FORCES (Include service academics)
MOVED FROM THE AREA, DID NOT REQUEST TRANSFER.
FAILED TO PROGRESS SATISFACTORILY IN THE CAP CADET PROGRAM
MISCONDUCT (Summary of circumstances must be included)
FAILURE TO MAINTAIN ACCEPTABLE ACADEMIC RECORD IN SCHOOL

Senior
VOLUNTARY RESIGNATION

TERMINATION FOR CAUSE INDICATED BELOW (Termination for cause must be fully justified in the summary of circumstances):
CONDUCT INVOLVING MORAL TURPITUDE
CONDUCT UNBECOMING A MEMBER OF CAP
CONVICTION OR FELONY
SEPARATION FROM ARMED FORCES WITH OTHER THAN HONORABLE DISCHARGE
SERIOUS OR WILLFUL VIOLATION OF CAP REGULATIONS OR DIRECTIVES
MAKING A FALSE STATEMENT TO OR CONCERNING CAP
HABITUAL FAILURE TO PERFORM DUTY
SUBSTANDARD PERFORMANCE OF DUTY OVER EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME
FAILURE TO OBEY RULES, REGULATIONS AND ORDERS OF HIGHER AUTHORITY   
INSUBORDINATION
FINANCIAL IRRESPONSIBILITY
ILLITERACY
OTHER. (Explain)

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: Who_knows? on December 05, 2008, 07:27:34 PM
And there is no way the wing king is not going to know about the 2b action as he or she must sign off on all 2b's. In fact if the wing king is smart he will also run it by the wing legal officer before signing it.

In Wings with a Group structure, the Group Commander is the approving authority for termination of members of Squadrons and flights.  Only one signature is necessary with no review by higher HQ.

As approving authority, the Group CC is the echelon that convenes an administrative board of appeal if requested.

From there the only thing left is the MARB, which is outside the normal chain, but certainly the Wing CC should be informed as a matter of courtesy.

Unless they fall under one of the categories below which is specific to the Wing CC, no Wing CC visibility for terminations of rank-and-file squadron members is indicated or required.

Per CAPR 35-3(e), Page 5.

TERMINATION of:                                   APPROVING AUTHORITY: IS
National Board Member                         National Commander
Region Member                                     National Commander
Wing Member                                        Region Commander
Group Commander                                Region Commander
Squadron Commander                          Not Under a Group Region Commander
Squadron Commander                          Under a Group Wing Commander
Group Member                                      Wing Commander
Squadron Member                                 Not Under a Group Wing Commander
Squadron Member                                 Under a Group Group Commander
Flight Member                                        Group Commander (or Wing Commander if flight is not under a group)

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Angus on December 05, 2008, 07:12:47 PM

If someone resigns, the squadron fills out the 2b to notify national and remove them from e-services, MMR, and WMU, etc.

afgeo4

I'm inclined to play the devil's advocate here and put myself in Capt Jones' shoes...

If I was so insulted by a cadet to my son I would have a huge fit too. One month's suspension isn't appropriate punishment for conduct unbecoming a cadet, a member of CAP or a decent person. It isn't even going to have an effect on that cadet's promotion. Sure, the cadet might understand that it was wrong, but how wrong was it?

I feel that the unit commander should speak to Capt Jones and ask her what she thinks the appropriate punishment should be, then compromise. Let her know you appreciate her and her son in the squadron. Let her know that you too think the punishment was too lenient (it was). Let her know that the cadet hasn't done anything wrong since then. Then compromise. I believe a letter of reprimand in the file plus a reduction in grade are in order. Just think what would happen to a member of the military/police/fire department if they insulted a superior officer that way! One month's suspension from volunteer work isn't punishment, it's a vacation.
GEORGE LURYE

lordmonar

Playing the commander's advocate....

You do what you feel is right.

If someone under my command is not happy with what I do...be it corrective action, promotion policy, general leadership style...they are always free to talk to me, make complaints through channels, or walk away.

You can't please everyone, all the time.

flyerthom

Once the acute phase of this is over your Deputy Commander of cadets may want to do an anti bullying program. What Cadet "Smith's" pattern of behavior demonstrates meets almost any definition of bullying. As you can see that ripped your squadron to threads. It's an outside chance but maybe doing some education or adopting an anti bullying program may be enough to bring back the Jones family. It may also save Cadet Smith from much life time grief.

You may also wish to discuss this with Cadet Smith's parents. Where did this come from? Speaking as an ER/flight nurse, this is a red flag behavior. Is then any evidence of family violence in Smith's family? Any evidence of verbal violence? Is Smith being bullied at school so therefore taking it out at the squadron?  The squadron staff including the chaplain, legal officer and HSO need to discuss this and, if there are any yeses, make reports to the appropriate agencies. I know you are focused on the loss of members and regulations, but the life you save may be smith's.
TC

Sm_Morgan

Let me clarify CPT Jone's role as to how she obtained the records she had the keys to the squadron and keys to the file cabinet. I found out one week ago the Jones family would not return to the squadron. Why wasn't the keys confiscated immediately I have no idea? I believe the intent not to return to the squadron was delivered to the commander via e mail.