Do the model rocketry written tests need to be taken in order?

Started by ascorbate, November 21, 2008, 03:34:28 PM

ascorbate

I was reading at http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=6459.0 that cadets do not need to take the Aerospace Education achievement tests in any particular order. Does this also apply to the Model Rocketry (Redstone, Titan and Saturn) written tests? Can anyone cite a specific CAP regulation?
Dr. Mark A. Kukucka, Lt Col, CAP
Missions Directorate (A7), MD-001
Carl A. Spaatz Award #569
Gill Robb Wilson Award #3004

Capt M. Sherrod

It's CAPR 50-20.  It does not specifically say that you must do them in order, however, it is implied by two different statements...

3.a.  To conduct the model rocketry program and to provide the completion of the performance requirements in accordance with the Civil Air Patrol Model Rocketry book, the cadets will be required to complete three stages. Each is progressively more challenging and has its own written and hands-on phase.

5. Civil Air Patrol Model Rocketry Program Requirements. The Civil Air Patrol Model Rocketry Program consists of three stages and will be conducted in accordance with the Civil Air Patrol Model Rocketry program book available from NHQ CAP/LMA. There is no charge for the book.
Michael Sherrod, Capt, CAP
Professional Development Officer
Hanscom Composite Squadron, NER-MA-043

Fifinella

I respectfully disagree that the passages cited mandate the rocketry tests be taken in sequence.  They do not specifically state that.

While it is preferred that the modules be accomplished in sequence, mandating this would preclude cadets who join a unit while the program is underway from being able to participate in the current lessons, activities, and tests, and then accomplishing the previous material in order to complete the program and earn their badges.

Although the models are progressively more challenging, the academic material for each phase is pretty much stand-alone knowledge, and would not necessarily need to be learned in any particular order.  What is more important is that the material be learned, the skills achieved, and as many cadets as possible be given the opportunity to challenge themselves.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

Capt M. Sherrod

Thank you, Judy.

As I said in my very first sentence after the reg cite,
QuoteIt does not specifically say that you must do them in order
Michael Sherrod, Capt, CAP
Professional Development Officer
Hanscom Composite Squadron, NER-MA-043

DC

I think the reg implies it, but does not outright require it...

I would not reccommend doing the stages out of order, as the rockets become much more complex as you move along, if it is just the written portion, then it shouldn't be as much of an issue. But, I don't recommend it..