CAP Scholarships

Started by mprokosch11, November 19, 2008, 06:34:48 PM

mprokosch11

Next year (Fall 2009) I will be heading off to college. I have been looking through the Knowledgebase and it says the deadline is December 2007. I'm guessing this is last year's deadline. If so, does anyone know the deadline for students attending college next year?

The actual application (CAPF 95) says nothing of deadlines.
C/Capt Matthew A. Prokosch, CAP
New York Wing
Utica Cadet Squadron (NER-NY-162)

LtCol Hooligan

ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

mprokosch11

New York Wing

Cecil DP

Just a reminder there are several scholarships that are open to Senior Members also.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

LtCol Hooligan

No problem- I highly recommend applying for a scholarship.  Surprisingly, they frequently go unused!!  It's free money for school- now that's a way to get back your CAP membership dues.
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

ascorbate

FYI: http://www.cap.gov/scholarships

BTW: I received two $500 undergraduate CAP scholarships during the 1980-81 and 1981-1982 academic school years.
Dr. Mark A. Kukucka, Lt Col, CAP
Missions Directorate (A7), MD-001
Carl A. Spaatz Award #569
Gill Robb Wilson Award #3004

Pylon

Quote from: Cecil DP on November 19, 2008, 10:30:57 PM
Just a reminder there are several scholarships that are open to Senior Members also.

Yes and no.  I can't exactly figure that part of it out.

The overall descriptions of the CAP scholarship process does indicate that senior members are also eligible for some scholarships.

QuoteIt doesn't get any simpler than that!  Each year, Civil Air Patrol provides academic and flight scholarships to deserving cadets and seniors who meet eligibility requirements. Over $200,000 is available. Apply today!

So then you take a look at each scholarship description for eligibility criteria and see that every single scholarship is for cadets only.

QuoteACADEMIC SCHOLARSHIPS - Sponsored by Civil Air Patrol

Academic scholarships are monetary awards used to support cadets pursuing their undergraduate education

QuoteAUBURN UNIVERSITY - GINN COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING

Auburn University in Auburn, Alabama, may award a $6,600 scholarship to a CAP cadet...

QuoteCLARA E LIVINGSTON CADET SCHOLARSHIP
This $4,000 educational scholarship, named after an aviation pioneer, CAP member during Word War II, and former Puerto Rico wing commander, is available only to Puerto Rico cadets...

QuoteCAP FLIGHT SCHOLARSHIPS

CAP may offer Flight Scholarships to help cadets attain a private pilot's license.

QuoteORDER OF DAEDALIANS - Maj Gen Lucas V Beau Flight Scholarships

The Order of Daedalians...awards five $2,100 flight scholarships...to help deserving CAP cadets earn their FAA private pilot's license...
Special Eligibility Requirements
1.  Be a current CAP cadet and aspiring military aviator...

QuoteAOPA SCHOLARSHIP

AOPA is providing flight training scholarships to cadets to help earn a private pilot certificate.

QuoteTHE SPAATZ ASSOCIATION - Aerospace Leadership Scholarships

The Spaatz Association annually sponsors scholarships to help CAP cadets advance their flight training

The only scholarship I can see which is available to senior members is a very narrow one:

QuoteDOWLING COLLEGE SCHOOL OF AVIATION

Dowling College annually sponsors one 1-year scholarship (valued at $8,000) and two 1-year scholarships (valued at $4,000) for CAP members who enroll at the Dowling College School of Aviation. This scholarship is also open to senior members.

So technically yes, senior members have a scholarship open to them, but unless you're planning on going to Dowling it's of no use to you.  Just a clarification, as I believe our scholarships should be focused on our cadets for the most part anyways.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

mprokosch11

What I don't understand is that the website says they have $200,000 worth of scholarships, but when I add up all of the scholarships that were awarded to members, it was less than $100,000.

Can someone explain this because I think I am misinterpreting.
New York Wing

notaNCO forever

Quote from: mprokosch11 on November 20, 2008, 05:44:55 PM
What I don't understand is that the website says they have $200,000 worth of scholarships, but when I add up all of the scholarships that were awarded to members, it was less than $100,000.

Can someone explain this because I think I am misinterpreting.

Because we have more scholarship money than we need since not many cadets apply for the CAP scholarships.