Model Rocketry

Started by Rob Sherlin, November 19, 2008, 03:11:22 AM

Rob Sherlin

"Quest" (outfitters for aero and space education) has scale models of the Tomahawk, Harpoon, and Orion missles, as well as an X-15 Sport they claim are for use with Phase II, and Phase III of the CAP program. Is this required in senior membership (not that far yet), or are they talking about Cadet phases? Has anyone used them before?
    I kind of want to get them anyway (just for kicks), but wonder about the quality for the price.
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

Pingree1492

No, Model Rocketry is not a required element of either the Cadet or Senior Programs.

However, there is the cadet model rocketry program, which is split up into 3 different "phases"- Redstone, Titan, and Saturn.  One of the requirements for the second phase is to build a scale model rocket, so I'm assuming that these rockets would qualify.

If the company is advertising that they are required for Phase III and IV of the Cadet Program, then they are wrong, and probably ought to change that lest they be accused of false advertising.

Hope this helps.
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)

Rob Sherlin

Yes, it helps. When I read it, it threw me for a loop because I didn't know. I'll write them and let them know they should change it in their catalog to be more precise if they're going to state something like that.
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

ThorntonOL

Have a question relating to the rocketry program.
Have a cadet staff member who is planning to teach the Model Rocketry program as much as he can and what he can't do (Give the tests, sign off, etc.) the seniors who are in charge and supervising will do. He has not completed the program yet is he still allowed to teach it?
I don't have any problem with him teaching it as he is going to learn and do it with them and it will be supervised by senior members.
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

Pingree1492

I generally would not allow someone who hasn't completed the program to teach the class, but there are always exceptions.  If you have a particularly bright cadet who is good at teaching, then use him/her as much as possible!  Also, I probably wouldn't allow the exception unless the cadet is Phase III or IV, when they have to mentor/instruct on Aerospace (or Leadership).  If the cadet is Phase I or II (again, without knowing your exact situation), I would probably tell him/her to wait until they have gone through the program and to instruct the next time around.

One thing I would suggest, would be for the cadet you will be using as an instructor (I'm assuming for the written material here) to take all of the tests, BEFORE teaching the rest of the squadron.  That way, you can be sure that he/she has mastered the material, as well as letting that cadet know what is on the test so that he/she will be sure to cover it when giving the lecture.  And make sure someone is there to monitor and give feedback, etc. since your cadet staff member will still be learning too!

I'd also be cautious about allowing a cadet to teach and supervise the rocketry builds who doesn't have prior experience and knowledge in building rockets (and be wary of those who claim it- building a rocket with your brother/sister and shooting it off in the back yard, and completing CAP's Model Rocketry Program are VERY different things!). 

If you have no one in your squadron who fits this description, and you can't find anyone locally who would be willing to help you out, then the next best thing for you to do is gather all of the material on building and launching rockets that you can (the National Association of Rocketry, www.nar.org/teacher.html , has a lot of good stuff).  Study the material a bit, then sit down together with everyone who will supervise the program and actual build each rocket that the cadets will be building later.  That way, you can actually be useful and helpful when build night comes with your squadron. 

There are a lot of tips & tricks out there to help you build better rockets, so I won't repeat them here.  But there is a DEFINITE difference in the performance of a well built rocket and one that... isn't; even when the rocket is from the same kit.

And don't forget the most important thing- Have fun! 
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)