Preserving Ribbons

Started by mprokosch11, February 06, 2008, 11:49:16 PM

mprokosch11

Every time I receive more ribbons, my existing ribbons are getting dirtier each time I have to transfer from one ribbon rack to another. One of my white ribbons needs to be replaced soon.

What is the best way to preserve them, or handle them when transferring?
C/Capt Matthew A. Prokosch, CAP
New York Wing
Utica Cadet Squadron (NER-NY-162)

MIKE

Only wear them on service dress.  >:D

And make sure your hands are clean when you handle them.
Mike Johnston

stillamarine

Quote from: MIKE on February 06, 2008, 11:54:26 PM
And make sure your hands are clean when you handle them.

Most important thing. We were taught in Recruit Training to wash our hands thoroughly before handling our uniforms. Ribbons, brass, even the uniform itself. It sucked to be the guy that didn't get all the shoe polish off your hands before picking up your khaki service shirt!
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

jimmydeanno

The key to keeping your ribbons pristine is essentially to handle them as little as possible.  Here's some tricks.

1) Wear latex gloves when re-arranging your ribbon rack.
2) Store your ribbons in a sealed bag or container when not being worn.
3) If you leave your ribbons on your service coat, keep it in a garment bag.
4) Don't let other people touch them - (Oooooh...what's THAT one!)
5) Don't touch them yourself.
6) Don't be too cheap.  If your ribbon needs to be replaced, they're only $.60.
7) Use plastic ribbon holders, the metal ones can sometimes tarnish, which can transfer onto the ribbon.
8) If not using gloves, keep your hands clean and oil free.  Although your hands may be free, the oil from your skin rubs off onto the ribbons and can collect dust, just from walking around.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

jb512

We used to spray a coat of scotch guard on ours and that seemed to work.  Had a buddy of mine who was a USMC Gunny and he used to talk about DIs who would scotchguard their whole uniform for the cool factor when they'd be out in the rain with the recruits and the water would just bead right off of them...

mikeylikey

Quote from: jaybird512 on February 24, 2008, 11:05:37 AM
We used to spray a coat of scotch guard on ours and that seemed to work.  Had a buddy of mine who was a USMC Gunny and he used to talk about DIs who would scotchguard their whole uniform for the cool factor when they'd be out in the rain with the recruits and the water would just bead right off of them...

California says scotch guard gives rats cancer, thus will give people cancer.  I think they banned it out there.  So I try to follow whatever California says and does in regard to health matters (actually I do the exact opposite)
What's up monkeys?

James Shaw

I make my own version of ultrathin ribbons (which are about 95% as close to the real thing) and then I coat them with Scotch Guard outside. I let them dry for a couple of days. I dont wear them often enough to be concerned about breathing the fumes.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Stonewall

+1 on the only wearing them on service dress rule.  Then, only wear service dress when it's called for.

+1 on the Scotchgardâ„¢ thing.

+1 on the wash your hands before touching your ribbons rule.
Serving since 1987.

jb512

Ehh.... cancer or cool ribbons...  You can't make everybody happy.

Eclipse

Quote from: caphistorian on February 24, 2008, 05:54:28 PM
I make my own version of ultrathin ribbons (which are about 95% as close to the real thing) and then I coat them with Scotch Guard outside. I let them dry for a couple of days. I dont wear them often enough to be concerned about breathing the fumes.

Can we see them and get some info on how you did it?

"That Others May Zoom"

SAR-EMT1

My problem is the devices that go onto the ribbons.
You cant order ribbons with devices currently attached from any source that I can find. Every time Ive tried to attach a star or something to a ribbon I end up destroying the ribbon.
As a result non of my ribbons have devices attached.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Al Sayre

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on February 24, 2008, 11:10:07 PM
You cant order ribbons with devices currently attached from any source that I can find. Every time Ive tried to attach a star or something to a ribbon I end up destroying the ribbon.

Get a darning/carpet needle at the local craft/sewing store.  Use that to pierce the ribbon before you try and shove the device through it.  Then use a small pair of needle nose pliers to bend the device pins and clip the excess with a small pair of end nippers.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

SarDragon

Al posted while I was typing, but I'll put mine up anyway.

There are a couple of tricks.

1. Make sure the prongs on the devices are straight. Try not to put pressure on the device itself while manipulating the prongs, or you'll end up with two unusable pieces.

2. DON'T use the device to poke the holes in the ribbon. Use a fat needle. The points on the prongs will tear the ribbon.

3. Insert the device into the hole, and put the entire assembly face down on a hard surface. while holding the ribbon down, GENTLY bend down the prongs. You can trim them with small wire cutters if they are too long.

4. Press down right in the center of the prongs to "set" them. I use a piece of 1/8" brass rod, but anything similar will work.

This isn't the only way to do it, but it's worked for me since my dad showed it to me WIWAC.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MIKE

IIRC Ultra-thin mentions removing the prongs and gluing them on with white school glue.  Haven't tried it yet myself though.
Mike Johnston

SJFedor

Quote from: MIKE on February 25, 2008, 01:24:18 AM
IIRC Ultra-thin mentions removing the prongs and gluing them on with white school glue.  Haven't tried it yet myself though.

I had a problem where the propeller on my find ribbon was turned the wrong direction, with the top of the prop facing 90 degrees right of where it needed to be. So, I got adventurous, cut off the prongs from the device, filed it down so it was smooth (but rough enough) on the back, and carefully superglued it onto the ribbon. Came out real good, just had to be really careful not to glue the ribbon to myself or anything like that.

If you shell out the extra few bucks to get ultra-thins, they come w/ the devices you order pre-attached.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

IceNine

DON'T use superglue, it does not dry clear... regardless of popular belief

use white school glue it dries clear and plays well with cloth to pot metal attachment
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

SJFedor

Quote from: IceNine on February 25, 2008, 02:08:33 AM

use white school glue it dries clear and plays well with cloth to pot metal attachment

Worked for me, but next time I'll definitely try white school glue. Probably a lot easier to handle, and less likely to glue my fingers together.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations

Short Field

Quote from: IceNine on February 25, 2008, 02:08:33 AM

I superglued devices to my racks for decades - you just had to be very very careful - and use a toothpick to apply the superglue.  Always cut the prongs off the devices before you start.

But I will use white school gule the next time I build a rack.  This old dog ain't too old to learn a new trick.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

♠SARKID♠

Avoid having the seatbelt rubbing across the ribbon rack.

CASH172

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on February 25, 2008, 05:40:58 AM

Or get the seatbelt stuck underneath the rack.  Bad news when you go to take the belt off. 

DC

Quote from: CASH172 on February 25, 2008, 05:54:44 AM

Or get the seatbelt stuck underneath the rack.  Bad news when you go to take the belt off. 
I've destroyed three nameplates that way... Tore the plate right of the backing with the prongs.

I have seen racks with the devices attached with white glue, and it looks real good. Apply the glue with a toothpick though, you don't want the glue seeping out from behind you clasp...

SJFedor

Or....don't wear your rack on the shirt, only on the jacket. And leave the jacket hanging in the back till you get out of the car.  ;D

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: SJFedor on February 28, 2008, 06:45:53 AM

Or....don't wear your rack on the shirt, only on the jacket. And leave the jacket hanging in the back till you get out of the car.  ;D

Are you buying me the jacket?  I have student loans to pay.  :)

RogueLeader

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on February 28, 2008, 09:24:14 AM

I bought mine on a overflow check from one semester.  I do know what you mean though. they are a beach fun to pay back.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

IceNine

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on February 28, 2008, 09:24:14 AM

You're a cadet, and the old style jackets are a dime a dozen, and did I mention Free  from DRMO, and probably available from your LG.  Unless you like things bright and shiny that is

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4