Creating a Vintage Uniform

Started by RogueLeader, January 31, 2008, 05:10:30 AM

RogueLeader

I was thinking about creating a couple of "vintage" i.e. non-current CAP uniforms as a display.  I also know that we are not allowed to mix civilian and military items.  As such, I don't know if I could do that project.  Ideas?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Major Carrales

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

CASH172

Just wait 'til March 1st and you can use a BDU with USCAP on it  ;), hopefully. 

Seriously though, what time periods were you thinking of?

teesquared

You can occasionally find older CAP uniforms on ebay.
Maj Terry Thompson
DP/DA   RMR-CO-147

RogueLeader

I was thinking OD, and possibly the Pink and Greens.  My question is:  Can I put CAP insignia on "civilian" clothing- even though it was a uniform at one point in time?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SarDragon

Our wing CP guy wore a vintage uniform for part of the SLS/CLC weekend we had last fall. It was a big hit. Everything was authentic period stuff, part of his excellent collection of CAP memorabilia.

If you're building this thing to display, go for it. If you get it in your size, and wear it properly in specific appropriate situations, go for it. Just make sure it's got all the correct stuff on it for your claimed time frame. I.e., don't mix 1965 ribbons with 50s patches. Check around with some of the older folks in your wing to see if they might have copies of the uni reg and the awards reg.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SJFedor

Quote from: RogueLeader on January 31, 2008, 05:54:29 AM
I was thinking OD, and possibly the Pink and Greens.  My question is:  Can I put CAP insignia on "civilian" clothing- even though it was a uniform at one point in time?

I worked an airshow in Reading PA one year when I still lived there, their WW2 weekend. One of the displays is a CAP unit from that era, complete with Piper J2 Cubs in the proper paint, CAP pilots in era uniform, etc.

If you're wearing it to meetings, etc, then no. But if there's a purpose, why not?

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Timothy

I was planning on doing the same. I have a closet full of WWII uniforms already so I am mainly missing the insignia.

You'd have to either find an orig CAP tunic, or get an orig Army officers tunic and swap out the buttons (if you can find orig CAP buttons). If you were wearing it as a presentation (either public, or at a squadron meeting for a presentation on uniforms) there should not be a problem.

Don't forget that in all cases (assuming WWII CAP) you are dealing with obsolete uniforms and insignia that are not regulated by either CAP or US Army/USAF. 
Long Beach Squadron 150
PCR-CA-343