Patch Design History

Started by jimmydeanno, January 30, 2008, 08:53:44 PM

jimmydeanno

I don't know if this is interesting or not, but I'm hoping someone has some information.

I recently visited a local aviation history museum.  In the museum I noticed an old WWII AF Command Patch (I don't remember what command it was).

The thing that got me thinking was that it was a disk with rocker instead of the more modern shield style.

Of course being a CAP member I started thinking about when the AF made the switch to it's current standard. [and all the CAPTalkers who would be telling them they were wrong :) ]

As with a lot of CAP uniform items, they are remnants of our history and the AF's.  Things like the ultramarine blue on white tapes, plastic encased insignia, cadet flight cap device, etc. 

When did CAP 'fall behind' with the patches?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Hawk200

I suspect that you're talking about some of the early command patches when the Air Force was transitioning from Army Air Corps, and Army Air Forces. Many of those old designs worn on the shoulder were "converted" into the more widely known shield design.

As for the blue nametapes, they go back to the seventies at least. Maybe further, but I don't remember the specific dates. We've been carrying the color scheme for at least 30 years since the Air Force changed.

Plastic rank was used into the early '90's, as I saw them when I was active duty in that time period.

The cadet flight cap device goes back a ways, nearer to our beginning, if not the begining.

fireplug

Although this is an Army site, they do have a USAF heraldic page/link. The Institute of Heraldry.

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/

alamrcn

Minnesota Wing just completed the designing of this year's encampment patch, thought I'd through it out for those interested in such things...

2008 Minnesota Wing Encampment: 10th Cadet Training Group

The Double-headed Eagle emblem...

Eagles are strong, intelligent and resourceful; as well as a symbol of American patriotism. These are characteristics instilled into all 10th Cadet Training Group personnel.

The Eagle's left side is Aquamarine, the precious gemstone of a 19th commemoration, and symbolizes the 19th Cadet Training Squadron. "XIX" on the left side of the small Silver shield is the Roman numeral 19.

The Eagles right side is Emerald, the precious gemstone of a 20th commemoration, and symbolizes the 20th Cadet Training Squadron. "XX" on the right side of the small Silver shield is the Roman numeral 20.

With the two Squadrons together and the Double-headed Eagle whole, the heads and talons form the shape of an "X" which is the Roman numeral 10 and represents the Group.

Above the Eagle is the traditional symbol of the Civil Air Patrol – the Red Tri-prop with a White (Silver) Civil Defense Triangle on a Blue background. The Eagle is surrounded by a map of Minnesota.

The Blue, Gold and Red horizontal sections in the emblem field behind the Eagle are, as well as the Black edges are from Camp Ripley's own 175th Readiness Training Instruction (RTI) unit patch. They indicate the 10th CTG's respect and gratitude for their support of the Minnesota Wing Encampment and the Civil Air Patrol.

The scroll beneath the field identifies the 10th Cadet Training Group, and displays the Silver and Blue colors of Civil Air Patrol's parent organization, the United States Air Force.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

ddelaney103

Quote from: alamrcn on February 03, 2008, 05:49:34 PM
Minnesota Wing just completed the designing of this year's encampment patch, thought I'd through it out for those interested in such things...

Wow, that has got to be the ugliest patch design I've seen in awhile.  The colors are garish, the design is cluttered with every bit of detail they could possibly cram into the patch and it will be difficult to reproduce (both because 7 colors are expensive for a patch and getting the weird colors the same from order to order will be tough).

Eclipse

Where does one wear an encampment patch?

"That Others May Zoom"

notaNCO forever

Quote from: alamrcn on February 03, 2008, 05:49:34 PM

2008 Minnesota Wing Encampment: 10th Cadet Training Group

The Double-headed Eagle emblem...

Eagles are strong, intelligent and resourceful; as well as a symbol of American patriotism. These are characteristics instilled into all 10th Cadet Training Group personnel.

The Eagle's left side is Aquamarine, the precious gemstone of a 19th commemoration, and symbolizes the 19th Cadet Training Squadron. "XIX" on the left side of the small Silver shield is the Roman numeral 19.

The Eagles right side is Emerald, the precious gemstone of a 20th commemoration, and symbolizes the 20th Cadet Training Squadron. "XX" on the right side of the small Silver shield is the Roman numeral 20.

With the two Squadrons together and the Double-headed Eagle whole, the heads and talons form the shape of an "X" which is the Roman numeral 10 and represents the Group.

Above the Eagle is the traditional symbol of the Civil Air Patrol – the Red Tri-prop with a White (Silver) Civil Defense Triangle on a Blue background. The Eagle is surrounded by a map of Minnesota.

The Blue, Gold and Red horizontal sections in the emblem field behind the Eagle are, as well as the Black edges are from Camp Ripley's own 175th Readiness Training Instruction (RTI) unit patch. They indicate the 10th CTG's respect and gratitude for their support of the Minnesota Wing Encampment and the Civil Air Patrol.

The scroll beneath the field identifies the 10th Cadet Training Group, and displays the Silver and Blue colors of Civil Air Patrol's parent organization, the United States Air Force.

No offense but it is ugly, and were do you wear it.

mikeylikey

I am no graphic artist, but I don't think having the Eagles wings go right up to the edge of the Patch is cool. 

PLUS, why do you need this patch?  For letterhead for the Encampment?  Cool, OK, I guess.  But really?  Really??
What's up monkeys?

MIKE

This is kinda contributing to the drift but... Encampment patch?  Why... for a t-shirt, coin, or certificate I can sort of understand, but it kind of pushes the limits of "Unit/Organizational patch" should you desire to wear it if you ask me.  Its not an NCSA either, so...
Mike Johnston

Major Carrales

Is the encampment being sponsored by the Romanov Czars or Albania.  Just a question, why the two headed eagle?
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

alamrcn

Quote from: ddelaney103 on February 04, 2008, 04:09:41 PM
Wow, that has got to be the ugliest patch design I've seen in awhile.

Well thanks for all your wonderful, gentlemanly and courteous comments. A credit to the CAP officer corps you are. I (along with another) designed the patch - not "they", not some anonymous person. Why don't you post YOUR designs?

Quotethe design is cluttered with every bit of detail they could possibly cram into the patch and it will be difficult to reproduce (both because 7 colors are expensive for a patch.

HOW is it cluttered? There are only THREE design elements, and two of them overlap. The map is part of the field and will be very subdued into the background. Seven colors on a 3 1/2" patch have already been quoted $1.50 a patch... that'll sure break the budget. The thread colors are going to be much more muted than your computer monitor's RGB versions. Here is the "garish" and "weird" US Army patch that field colors are based on...

After designing and manufacturing SEVEN Civil Air Patrol patches (all of them very different and unique and memorable), as well as collecting and preserving over 1000 civil air patrol patches and insignia for 15 years... I guess I don't know anything about what is going to look good after it's made.

Minnesota Wing and SEVERAL other wings create activity patches, this is nothing new and different. If anyone would like examples, I can post them. I really don't care what someone thinks about patches in general or how simple the uniform should be - that's for another dozen threads going right now.

These patches are for 10th CTG graduating cadets, and for their first major Civil Air Patrol activity and for most of them the most significant accomplishment in their time as a Cadet. Those that choose to can wear it for as long as they want.

The only possibly constructive thing anyone said above was about the wings touching the sides. It is a problem, and I tried to get the first wing tip to follow the shape of the shield up. I tried to curve all the wings even more, but it started take on the look of a Phoenix. It is the part I may regret about the final version, but we'll see.

Some other inquires and questions I'm answering in PMs to prevent further trolling.

Major Ace Browning
Minnesota Wing

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

mikeylikey

^ they can wear this patch?  No offense, and I do like the hard work that you put into it, but this is a wearable patch?  Not just a souvenir? 

So every year, graduating cadets will be wearing a different patch?  May I ask, where do they wear it?
What's up monkeys?

notaNCO forever

Quote from: mikeylikey on February 06, 2008, 08:06:03 PM
^ they can wear this patch?  No offense, and I do like the hard work that you put into it, but this is a wearable patch?  Not just a souvenir? 

So every year, graduating cadets will be wearing a different patch?  May I ask, where do they wear it?
I have never heard of wearing an encampment patch before either. I also think it's a good design and will look good if the colors are not that bright.

BlueLakes1

Quote from: Eclipse on February 04, 2008, 04:20:25 PM
Where does one wear an encampment patch?

...In the same place one wears an ILWG Katrina deployment patch?

Just because someone designs a patch doesn't mean it will be worn. The patches from the old Operation Iceberg here in INWG are quite popular locally, even though it's not an authorized for wear patch.
Col Matthew Creed, CAP
GLR/CC

alamrcn

Yeah, there is a different patch for each CTG. The attendant is authorized at the wing level to wear it on the right breast pocket. I do prefer to wear my unit patch there, but those members who do not wear a unit patch or are particularly proud of their achievements and memories during the activity can and do wear it.

Some have continued to wear their "basic year" patch at later encampments while serving as flight and command staff, even after they've received more current patches. I suppose it does add a sense of longevity and experience to their suboriant cadets - in addition to their possition and grade.

There also does come to be a sense of commarodery amoung those who wear the same patch... "Hey, you were in 7th CTG?! What flight?" Like a local unit patch, it does build Esprit de Corps amoung the cadets.

Some put their patch in a keepsake shoe box, or on the wall with their diploma, and reflect on it that way.

Yes, the thread colors will be much richer/deeper in color - only the digital rendition is super bright. It'll look really cool, I promise.

I can post some other encampment patches here since there has been interest, but first will someone tell me how to adjust the dimentions on the "insert image" function?

-Ace

Added...
Quote from: Redfire11 on February 06, 2008, 09:28:21 PM
The patches from the old Operation Iceberg here in INWG are quite popular locally, even though it's not an authorized for wear patch.

From the quality of activity that I've heard it is, it probably should be!
http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/IN/inopib.jpg

LSH, my unit has hosted an annual ES college for over two decades that is attended by more members than most wing activities. It is held in such high regard, that there is a patch awarded to 3-year cadre at the squadron level that is authorized by the Wing CC to be worn by other squadrons. It took 17 years of schools before that happened.
http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/MN/mn104bc.jpg

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

mikeylikey

^ I have to point out that throughout military history, patches and devices worn for commands (which your CTG would be) usually do not change.  Once the Command is established one emblem is designed and it is traditionally not changed. 

Changing the patch each year goes against everything about heraldry. 

PLUS most cadets have no clue about the Roman Numeral System, let alone educated adults in this country.

I am a strong supporter of getting rid of all patches from CAP (except your Wing and Unit patch......trying to keep the whole "historical element" I guess).  I also believe that patches should have to be sent through the AF if they are to be worn on any AF-style uniform. 

NOW.....creating a souvenir patch is fine, and I support that.  I even like the idea of creating challenge coins to commemorate Encampments and schools even more than patches, but that is another subject entirely!
What's up monkeys?

jimmydeanno

This still doesn't explain why AF commands back in the day used the disc shaped patch and now use the shield...it might offer some insight as to why a lot of CAP wings use a disc...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

mikeylikey

^ It was an Army thing.  When the AF left, they wanted to set themselves apart just a little more from the Army.  The Army Air Forces used a disc because of the Signal Corps units that they were evolved from.  So until the early 1950's most AF units still used the disk, but then created the shield to be different.
What's up monkeys?

alamrcn

Quote from: mikeylikey on February 06, 2008, 10:30:45 PM
I have to point out that throughout military history, patches and devices worn for commands (which your CTG would be) usually do not change.  Once the Command is established one emblem is designed and it is traditionally not changed. Changing the patch each year goes against everything about heraldry. 

I do see your point, and I agree.

However, each year the encampment becomes a completely different unit. Not only does the personnel change, but sometimes the location (headquarters) changes too. Do, last year the 9th CTG as a functioning unit was completely dissolved. It's command staff assigned TDY returned to their original home units. This year, the 10th CTG has been created.... in the 9th's place I suppose, but a new unit for sure. Old unit, old patch - new unit, new patch.

As a clarification, the Cadet Training Group and the Encampment are not one in the same. If this were a Cadet Programs Encampment patch, I suppose it should not be changed regularly. But this patch belongs to a unit at the encampment. I'm probably going in circles, perhaps someone from CAWG - the wing that created the original Integrated Leadership Program - could explain over in the Cadet Programs topic on how it all works.

Here's another angle, just for fun...
Are you familiar with the "William Tell" competition? I'm not sure if it still goes on, but the USAF had a new wearable patch every year for it. How about "class" patches? They exist outside the Academy for various training opportunities in the AF.

QuotePLUS most cadets have no clue about the Roman Numeral System, let alone educated adults in this country.
Yeah, but it's awesome fodder for the cadet knowledge books! It's like the different colored ribbons - they each mean something, and hopefully the wearer understands what that is and can explain it.

And related to the thread's OP (by Jimmydeano)...

FYI, I tend to throw around the terms emblem, crest, and patch interchangeably... But there are differences in how they apply to heraldry. The Army and the Air Force definitely do it differently, then throw in the Air Corps from which we came!

Civil Air Patrol shoulder patches are a wide variety of shapes. A very brief look finds the Michigan Wing patch to be the oldest known "Shield" type patch, authorized in August 1949. There are AAC/AAF patches of the same era that also used that shape. Perhaps it was the hosting Army Air Corps that determined some of these shapes.

I would take a guess that California's may be older, but I have no date of reference. The oldest patches are definitely disks, the oldest official date being from Pennsylvania Wing in May 1948. Again, it resembled the shape of several AAC/AAF patches at that time as well as the preceding National shoulder patch disk.

Maybe you could ask Richard Operhal who runs http://www.usafpatches.org/ if he knows what the oldest traditional shield patch is in the USAF.

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota