Gold Cadet Lt/Col. Rank

Started by Senior, January 18, 2008, 05:05:14 AM

Senior

???Saw Gold Colored Cadet Lt/Colonel Rank on ebay.  Seller stated that
it was CAP, even had a CAP sticker on the paper backer.  Just curious.
Has the cadet rank been changed from the silver to gold?  Looked like the
full size metal rank of my cadet days.

jeders

Quote from: Senior on January 18, 2008, 05:05:14 AM

No, it's still silver. Are you sure it was actually gold and not just tarnished or in poor light that affected the pic?
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

_

The only gold cadet rank insignia I know of is the old cadet flight officer rank (the butter ball) which is no longer used.  All current cadet officer ranks are chrome/silver.  I think that other cadet programs use similar insignia, that's where it may be from.

Can you post a link?

mikeylikey

Army ROTC used to use gold on their insignia.  Since they use the same cutouts, I would not be surprised to find it really was ROTC, and not CAP. 

Brings me to a point.  Vanguard makes both Army ROTC rank insignia and CAP rank insignia (officer variants of course).  Perhaps CAP can move to the ARMY ROTC insignia which is exactly the same as what CAP uses, but is smooth on the surface (does not have lines running across the surface).  It would be cheaper as well.  And the ROTC version does come in silver (or black), but subdued won't fly for Cadets I am guessing!
What's up monkeys?

SSgt Rudin

not gold, but on vanguard they sell 4 pips under MCJROTC, I think these are great for those c/captains who get into a rut.

"Here you go Captain Schmuckatelli its been over a year and a half since you promoted so we are going to give you a 4th pip, yes you have to wear it. No you can take it off when you get you diamond, now start testing"
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

ColonelJack

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 18, 2008, 05:29:03 AM
Army ROTC used to use gold on their insignia.  Since they use the same cutouts, I would not be surprised to find it really was ROTC, and not CAP. 

According to a website devoted to Army (and other service) rank insignia over the years, there was a time about 35 or so years back when Army ROTC had Cadet Brigadier General and Cadet Major General grades.  One gold diamond was C/BG, two gold diamonds was C/MG.

That was about the time I was in AJROTC, but I don't recall ever seeing such.  Our system's brigade commander (who, incidentally, came from my school!) was a C/COL.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Ricochet13

Quote from: ColonelJack on January 18, 2008, 02:19:58 PM
Quote from: mikeylikey on January 18, 2008, 05:29:03 AM

According to a website devoted to Army (and other service) rank insignia over the years, there was a time about 35 or so years back when Army ROTC had Cadet Brigadier General and Cadet Major General grades.  One gold diamond was C/BG, two gold diamonds was C/MG.

That was about the time I was in AJROTC, but I don't recall ever seeing such.  Our system's brigade commander (who, incidentally, came from my school!) was a C/COL.

Jack

Exactly.  This is when there was a brigade/regimental structure to ROTC (we were 1/20th).  Highest rank in the 60's was c/COL.  Interesting though, I checked my old insignias and have one of each style, both raised and smooth.  Not sure about JROTC though.  As I recalled, the raised insignia was preferred as the rougher surface did not require as much "attention to detail" for inspections.  ;D

brasda91

I noticed it too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Military-Medal-Civil-Air-Patrol-Lt-Col_yadda_yadda_yadda

Edit: shortened URL  -TA
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

dogden

I was a army ROTC cadet and my diamond is smooth. We also had to pin all of the pips and diamonds separately, so when you became a 1LT, CPT, LTC and COL it became a little harder on the insignia placement.

The corps commander at Texas A&M (whoop!) is a 4 diamond cadet, equivalent to a C/BG.
David C Ogden, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing, Group IV Commander
GRW#3325

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: brasda91 on January 18, 2008, 10:40:08 PM

I noticed it too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Military-Medal-Civil-Air-Patrol-Lt-Col_yadda_yadda_yadda

Edit: shortened URL  -TA

The sticker on their is the old bookstore sticker. Hummm, maybe someone was bored and got their diamonds gold plated. I kinda wish they had a set of gold c/capt, i would use those instead of 4 pips for my non-promoting c/capt.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

baronet68

I've got a pair of gold Major diamonds.  Purchased them at a surplus store outside Fort Lewis in the early 90's, they're marked as "CAP C/MAJ" and they have the same sticker too.
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Nathan

Quote from: SSgt Rudin on January 22, 2008, 04:32:50 AM
I kinda wish they had a set of gold c/capt, i would use those instead of 4 pips for my non-promoting c/capt.

Huh? ???

When do we use gold rank?
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

afgeo4

We don't. It's mislabeled AROTC insignia. BTW... why is Army's insignia also made in silver? They wear gold. USAF wears silver. Black was made as pin-on rank for BDUs. Our cadets aren't authorized subdued pin-on rank for BDUs. Neither are our seniors.
GEORGE LURYE

JayT

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 24, 2008, 07:43:54 AM
We don't. It's mislabeled AROTC insignia. BTW... why is Army's insignia also made in silver? They wear gold. USAF wears silver. Black was made as pin-on rank for BDUs. Our cadets aren't authorized subdued pin-on rank for BDUs. Neither are our seniors.

Pips and diamonds are a common enough insignia. The British Army uses pips and crowns for comissioned officers.

Every Army JROTC and Army ROTC cadet I've seen wears smooth sliver insignia on dress uniform, with black on ACUs.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

mikeylikey

BTW... why is Army's insignia also made in silver? They wear gold. USAF wears silver. Black was made as pin-on rank for BDUs.

Army ROTC currently uses silver smooth metal diamonds and circles.  They used to (40 years ago) wear gold. 

I think CAP should move to the smooth silver insignia anyway.  Check Vanguard out, they are cheaper than CAP's insignia, and in my opinion look better. 
What's up monkeys?

JayT

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 24, 2008, 02:39:57 PM
BTW... why is Army's insignia also made in silver? They wear gold. USAF wears silver. Black was made as pin-on rank for BDUs.

Army ROTC currently uses silver smooth metal diamonds and circles.  They used to (40 years ago) wear gold. 

I think CAP should move to the smooth silver insignia anyway.  Check Vanguard out, they are cheaper than CAP's insignia, and in my opinion look better. 

They look terrible in person. Plus they get destroyed easier.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

mikeylikey

^ Really, I think they look awesome.  They don't look dirty like the ones CAP uses.
What's up monkeys?

afgeo4

Quote from: JThemann on January 24, 2008, 10:14:18 PM
Quote from: mikeylikey on January 24, 2008, 02:39:57 PM

They look terrible in person. Plus they get destroyed easier.
Most cadets get promoted within 4 months and the metal insignia is only worn on blues, which are usually worn once or twice a month, so... 8 days of wear per cadet per set of insignia? I don't think durability is such an issue here. I think price always is since cadets don't usually have high paying jobs.
GEORGE LURYE

SarDragon

It's probably what happens to them when they're not on the uniform that tears them up.  :o
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret