Corporate Service Uniform

Started by Capt M. Sherrod, December 18, 2007, 08:55:27 PM

Capt M. Sherrod

I am trying to put together everything that I need for the Service Coat, and I seem to remember reading that it could be worn for occasions where the Mess Dress would be worn.  However, I can't seem to find the ICL or Reg cite for this.  Can someone help me locate this.  I can't see spending $50+ on ribbons and attachments if they are not authorized for wear.  Thank you in advance.
Michael Sherrod, Capt, CAP
Professional Development Officer
Hanscom Composite Squadron, NER-MA-043

Pylon

The Semi-Formal Blazer Combination was authorized as a corporate stand-in for mess dress or civilian tuxedo.  It is essentially the existing blazer combination, with one (earned) miniature medal on the lapel and without the nameplate.

QuoteThe CAP blazer combination with a plain white shirt/blouse and black bow tie or blue floppy bow without name plate and with one miniature medal may be worn on formal occasions, if the member does not have, is not authorized, or prefers not to wear the mess dress uniform. If the medal is worn, it will be centered above the pocket so that bottom portion of medal is 1/2 inch above the CAP crest.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Capt M. Sherrod

I'm not talking about the Blazer combo.  I'm talking about the new Corporate Service Uniform or TPU as it is called on the board here.

JayT

Quote from: 1st Lt M. Sherrod on December 18, 2007, 08:55:27 PM
I am trying to put together everything that I need for the Service Coat, and I seem to remember reading that it could be worn for occasions where the Mess Dress would be worn.  However, I can't seem to find the ICL or Reg cite for this.  Can someone help me locate this.  I can't see spending $50+ on ribbons and attachments if they are not authorized for wear.  Thank you in advance.

There's a line in one of the ICL about wearing a black bow tie with it.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Capt M. Sherrod

Ok, so wear the bow tie but no medals - only ribbons.  Am I understanding you correct?

davedove

The reference is in the 29 June 2006 policy letter, paragraph 1e.

"This coat may also be worn with a black bow tie on formal occasions when the mess dress would be worn."
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Capt M. Sherrod

tjaxe

Quote from: davedove on December 18, 2007, 09:08:54 PM
The reference is in the 29 June 2006 policy letter, paragraph 1e.

"This coat may also be worn with a black bow tie on formal occasions when the mess dress would be worn."

So... how should females adapt this for formal wear?  Should I wear a bow tie?  ??? I'm assuming no, but what then?  The normal tab tie thingie?  If so, then it's not really formal since that's the "normal" wear of the corporate uniform, right?   :(

- Tracey, Captain
Public Affairs Officer, Professional Development, Logistics: NER-PA-160

DNall

Technically you wear a bow tie cause no distinction is made about gender. However, I'd expect that to be addressed soon.

tjaxe

Quote from: DNall on February 20, 2008, 05:18:45 PM
Technically you wear a bow tie cause no distinction is made about gender. However, I'd expect that to be addressed soon.

Thanks!

- Tracey, Captain

Pylon

Quote from: tjaxe on February 20, 2008, 05:32:31 PM

Thanks!

Added to the list of items to address.... 

mikeylikey

Many things should be addressed "soon", but will not.  Did you miss the proposed agenda items for the upcoming board meeting?  Many uniform itmes that needed immediate addressing were not included.  Unless they are brought up in "new business" I doubt we will see any of them. 
What's up monkeys?

tjaxe

Quote from: Pylon on February 20, 2008, 05:36:35 PM

Thanks!

Thank you sir.   Also, is it definite that ribbons and not mini medals are to be worn on the mess dress version of the corporate uniform?

Thanks again!  :)

- Tracey, Captain

Maj Ballard

I'd think it would be ribbons and not mini-medals. Mini-medals go on mess dress, and no matter how much you dress the corporate service uniform up, it's still not mess dress. Does that make sense?

Incidentally, at the recent FLWG conference, the administration insisted that the banquet be "formal." Almost all of the ladies (including myself and Brig Gen Courter) were in evening gowns for the banquet, not the "dressed up corporate service coat" thingy. I would imagine it's because most people don't have mess dress, and the "corporate equivalent" is so ambiguous for us. It was easier for me to spend $100 on a nice spah-kuh-ly evening gown than mess dress. YMMV.
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

tjaxe

Quote from: Captain B on February 20, 2008, 06:10:06 PM
I'd think it would be ribbons and not mini-medals. Mini-medals go on mess dress, and no matter how much you dress the corporate service uniform up, it's still not mess dress. Does that make sense?

Incidentally, at the recent FLWG conference, the administration insisted that the banquet be "formal." Almost all of the ladies (including myself and Brig Gen Courter) were in evening gowns for the banquet, not the "dressed up corporate service coat" thingy. I would imagine it's because most people don't have mess dress, and the "corporate equivalent" is so ambiguous for us. It was easier for me to spend $100 on a nice spah-kuh-ly evening gown than mess dress. YMMV.

Thanks for the info.  I'd definitely have to say that I'm way more of a "uniform" person rather than not.  Also, I think the last time I was in a dress when it wasn't mandatory was when I was 3 or 4 year old.    :D

- Tracey, Captain

BigMojo

It's a shame that if a "bow tie for formal occasions" is approved that they couldn't also allow for Mini-medals. Not a full rack, but maybe a single row. The Mini's present a much nice appearance for a formal occasion if you can't afford full-on mess dress.

Just my $0.02 from someone that can't afford to shell out for full mess dress to wear once a year or every other year....flame away
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

mikeylikey

^ No Flames!  You actually are correct there.  Little (may I say it) NO thought went into this uniform.  It was one man's way of getting real stars on his shoulders.  Nothing less, and nothing more!  Now we are stuck with it, and have to correct mistakes.
What's up monkeys?

JohnKachenmeister

Mikey, that comment was personally degrading to a former National Commander.

It was also accurate.
Another former CAP officer

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

DNall

Fix the problem, not the blame. The guy is out of office. Whatever you thought of him, then or now, be a professional & move on to the work at hand.

I believe enlisted semi-formal uses full size medals? Not that we have that option, but just thought I'd put that out there.

tjaxe

Quote from: Pylon on February 20, 2008, 05:36:35 PM

Thanks!

Pylon,
Based on the back and forth comments here do you think mini-medals or medals of some sort can also be added to thist of things to address?
Thanks!!!

- Tracey, Captain

Hawk200

Quote from: DNall on February 20, 2008, 09:53:38 PMI believe enlisted semi-formal uses full size medals? Not that we have that option, but just thought I'd put that out there.

Air Force enlisted semi-formal? If that's what you mean, then no. The only folks even allowed to wear a full size medal is the Air Force Honor Guard. No one else in the Air Force has a uniform that permits them.

As for CAP airman and NCO semiformal, haven't a clue.

JayT

Quote from: Hawk200 on February 21, 2008, 12:50:38 AM
Quote from: DNall on February 20, 2008, 09:53:38 PMI believe enlisted semi-formal uses full size medals? Not that we have that option, but just thought I'd put that out there.

Air Force enlisted semi-formal? If that's what you mean, then no. The only folks even allowed to wear a full size medal is the Air Force Honor Guard. No one else in the Air Force has a uniform that permits them.

As for CAP airman and NCO semiformal, haven't a clue.

I believe I've seen pictures of AF HG wearing mini medals in place of ribbons, or am I imagining things?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

jimmydeanno

It's probably the full-size medals (as shown here)
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Hawk200

Quote from: JThemann on February 21, 2008, 01:25:07 AM
I believe I've seen pictures of AF HG wearing mini medals in place of ribbons, or am I imagining things?

As the picture above shows, it's the full size. AF Honor Guard are actually the only people in the Air Force with a uniform that has full size medals.

Only mini's are allowed on AF Mess Dress. Basically, the Air Force probably spends a great deal of coin issuing some full size medals that very few people in the Air Force will ever get to wear.

Short Field

You just save them up and when you retire, put the ones in the best condition in a shadow box.  Every time you get awarded another oak leaf cluster, you get a new medal as well.  At least most of the presentation cases include the mini-medal as well.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Pylon

Quote from: tjaxe on February 20, 2008, 10:15:30 PM
Pylon,
Based on the back and forth comments here do you think mini-medals or medals of some sort can also be added to thist of things to address?
Thanks!!!

I think it should depend on whether the equivalent AF semi-formal uniform uses medals or not.  Anybody have a quick reference?

One other interesting note (and I know it's different in the Real Military, since they get paid and all that jazz) is that all the functions I've been to, they've specified Officers: Mess Dress, Enlisted: Mess Dress or Semi-formal.

JayT

Quote from: Pylon on February 21, 2008, 01:37:02 PM
Quote from: tjaxe on February 20, 2008, 10:15:30 PM
Pylon,
Thanks!!!

I think it should depend on whether the equivalent AF semi-formal uniform uses medals or not.  Anybody have a quick reference?

One other interesting note (and I know it's different in the Real Military, since they get paid and all that jazz) is that all the functions I've been to, they've specified Officers: Mess Dress, Enlisted: Mess Dress or Semi-formal.

The Air Force semi formal is identical to the current CAP cadet semi formal, ie, service jacket, white shirt, blue tie, no nameplate, no headgear. And normal ribbons.

Hawk200

Quote from: JThemann on February 21, 2008, 03:03:56 PM
The Air Force semi formal is identical to the current CAP cadet semi formal, ie, service jacket, white shirt, blue tie, no nameplate, no headgear. And normal ribbons.

I'm not sure if I'm remembering something incorrectly, or just imagining things, but wasn't there something somewhere about CAP NCO's being authorized semi-formal as well? Don't recall if it was something proposed here, if it was something in National Board minutes, or if it was actually authorized.