Automatic qual expiration warnings?

Started by RiverAux, September 27, 2007, 08:47:20 PM

RiverAux

Okay, since we have a nice fancy MIMS system and though there are options for unit commanders and other folks to print reports showing upcoming ES qualification expirations for their members, I don't think it is enough.

How about this? 

60 days and 30 days before any particular qualification is set to expire, MIMS automatically generates an email to that member, their squadron commander, and the squadron ES officer warning them that time is almost up. 

Lets face it, not all the commanders are going to print off those reports on a regular basis and given the technological capability we have, it should not be hard to set up such a system.  After all, CAP does the very same thing for membership expirations. 

They could even take it one step further, and whenever one of those expiration notices is sent, when that person goes to e-services there is a big red link at the top of the page (like when your membership is coming due), that says "Click here to maintain ES qualifications" that would take them to a page telling them exactly what they need to do to renew their quals.

Now, I used to be a pretty good ES paperwork guru and I know that this sort of system isn't necessary to make everything work.  But, I think if we had it, it would make everyone's job a lot easier.  This is even more important now that each ES qual has its own expiration date.  No longer do you have to worry about just keeping your card current, you might be in a position where you've got a qual expiring every month or two on a regular basis.  Hard to remember and why should you when the computer can do it for you.

Thoughts?

Al Sayre

I tell people "When you go to a SAREX, renew your qual's then and there, and put it in Op's Qual's right away.  That way you'll never expire, and I can remember who was at the SAREX last week when I'm doing approvals. Coming around saying "but I did this last year" is a bit harder...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

arajca

Actually, an auto reminder makes sense. It would be of great help.

jeders

Quote from: arajca on September 27, 2007, 09:39:29 PM
Actually, an auto reminder makes sense. It would be of great help.

It would also be incredibly easy to incorporate into eServices. Though I personally prefer to just look at my card.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

RiverAux

Believe it or not there are months I never look at mine. 

Actually, for our more active members this sort of system probably isn't too necessary.  However, even the active folks just about all have some ES qual they don't regularly use that they might lose if they aren't paying attention. 

But, the system would be most helpful for our intermittent ES participants.  I tend to think of them as our "reserves" -- you don't use them all the time, but every now and again they could be critical.  Making sure we keep them up to date is important. 

Eclipse

Autoreminders would be great - I just spent the afternoon getting caught up on an aircrew qualification because I had been concentrating on my Ground ratings and hadn't noticed my Scanner qual was going to turn into a pumpkin on 1 Oct.

One hitch here is that there are still plenty of states on the WMU, with no plan or timeline for conversion.

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

It would be nice to have.  My auto reminder was a cadet and they aren't always reliable.

jb512

While we're at it, it would be nice to have a squadron level notification of upcoming promotions and specialty track levels.  As PDO, I keep a running tab in my own excel spreadsheet, but I have to update it on my own after creating it initially.

smj58501

I check eServices everyday, and I still would find this useful. I don't always have time to review reports. I have asked the help desk to also implement an auto-email system that emails you when there are quals/ achievements needing review and approval. They informed me they would look at it for future versions (whatever that means... I'll stay positive for now).
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP