Inland SAR course

Started by Fifinella, September 26, 2007, 06:09:42 PM

Fifinella

Anyone thinking of going/already registered for the Inland SAR course in Panama City, FL in November?

http://www.acc.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-070622-071.pdf
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

RiverAux

Not planning on going. 

Would you authorize a major thread diversion?  I would be interested in hearing of people's experiences with this course?  Did they think it was overall good?  Any problem areas, etc?

Al Sayre

There's another thread about it around here somwhere...  I went last year when MS hosted it in Meridian.  Great course, well worth your time and money.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

floridacyclist

I wanted to but it's right in the middle of our biggest recruiting event of the year....gotta put the squadron first. If I can find someone who can run that, I just might.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Fifinella

Quote from: RiverAux on September 26, 2007, 06:18:31 PM
Would you authorize a major thread diversion?  I would be interested in hearing of people's experiences with this course?  Did they think it was overall good?  Any problem areas, etc?

Sure.  I'd like to hear that too.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

arajca

It is a good course. Alot of fun and working with other agencies. The hardest part is staying out of the weeds. Most of the folks who took it with me were hands on people and getting them to pull back out of the operations mindset and into the planning mindset was a continual challenge. The Air Force instructors did a great job.

The AF instructors havve wicked senses of humor and great acting abilities. >:D

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: arajca on September 27, 2007, 01:39:50 AM
It is a good course. Alot of fun and working with other agencies. The hardest part is staying out of the weeds. Most of the folks who took it with me were hands on people and getting them to pull back out of the operations mindset and into the planning mindset was a continual challenge. The Air Force instructors did a great job.

The AF instructors havve wicked senses of humor and great acting abilities. >:D

[nodding in agreement]

MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

floridacyclist

I just submitted my application. The school is not over the beginning or ending of the North Florida Fair (I'm in charge of our part in it), so I am sure they can live without me for 5 days in the middle....as long as I'm there for the critical parts like setup, initial coordination, and breakdown.

Quote from: floridacyclist on September 26, 2007, 08:38:35 PM
I wanted to but it's right in the middle of our biggest recruiting event of the year....gotta put the squadron first. If I can find someone who can run that, I just might.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
www.tallahasseecap.org

Tubacap

Just tried login to the registration website and got an https error.  Anyone else having issues?
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Al Sayre

I just got an email from Lt Col Steward, who is the course director.  They haven't received any applications as of Friday Oct 5th.  Anyone who recently submitted one may want to call or email them direct.  PM me for email/phone numbers if you need them.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

IceNine

I went, Learned a TON, and got a foot in the door with the local EMA because the director was in my class.

The instructor Col Steward, was UBER knowledgeable and had the answers to everything I could think of.

The course was well organized, and built on the lessons before.

My only complaint (and its minor) was that the course didn't follow the progression in the book, there was a lot of jumping around so keeping track of where we were was confusing.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Al Sayre

Just heard from Lt Col Steward.  There is NO online application process, you need to download the application, fill it out and then mail, fax or email it.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

Tubacap

This is true if you are anyone, but CAP I believe.  I just talked with Terry at the NOC and he let me into the application procedure online.  You need to go through NHQ to process this, not the USCG or USAF directly.
NER-PA-001

floridacyclist

The application deadline has been extended until the end of Oct. Col Steward said he was emailing NHQ about that today.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
www.tallahasseecap.org

Tubacap

Has anyone only applied on the CAP website and been accepted all the way through?  Getting a little nervous about the application process.
NER-PA-001

Al Sayre

In a follow up email, Lt Col Steward indicated that was where the problem was, and that it has supposedly been fixed as of yesterday...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

floridacyclist

I know that yesterday I received an email from my Gp CC to re-apply through him using a CAPF17...then last night, the Wing DO told several of us to apply online, to which there was a flurry of emails pointing out that our class didn't exist. I've been busy with work all day but will nose into it later tonight.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
www.tallahasseecap.org

floridacyclist

So much for nosing into that....it's still not there, at least not on the CAP site. It starts at class 08-03 in AZ. Hopefuly that CAPF17 works.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
www.tallahasseecap.org

floridacyclist

Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
www.tallahasseecap.org

Al Sayre

Gene, what's your Group CC got to do with it?  It's an USAF/USCG Class and you are paying for it youself.  Anyone can go to their website and download a registration form and apply directly.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

floridacyclist

According to the instructions on the site, you apply through your wing training officer. Regardless of how that is interpreted (ie we really don't have a "Training Officer" in FL wing, or at least not one that is involved in ES Training) , you still go through your group commander in order to follow the chain of command.

If nothing else, it is a courtesy to keep him in the loop.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
www.tallahasseecap.org

IceNine

I don't have a clue what the issue is, 

But I applied through the online CAP application section and in about a month and a half I got an email from both cap and Col. Steward saying I'd been accepted and here is your homework.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

floridacyclist

Because up until last night, our course was not shown on the CAP online system, leaving us to follow the instructions on the acc website to "apply through our wing training officer".
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
www.tallahasseecap.org