Should CAP have cargo aircraft?

Started by Nomex Maximus, September 23, 2007, 12:15:47 PM

SJFedor

Why buy new planes? The AF already has them!

I would imagine (and have heard) that the USAF can provide airlift for us during large scale operations, which is the only time we'd need to move a ton of stuff a long distance. Why bother with a 208 when they can task a 130 to come grab a bunch of our personnel, lots of toys, etc?

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

NIN

Quote from: SJFedor on September 25, 2007, 01:57:22 AM
Why bother with a 208 when they can task a 130 to come grab a bunch of our personnel, lots of toys, etc?

If they would...

C-23-type acft are OK, but they're not capable enough to haul, say, a vehicle. You're looking at a C-22J for that.

But in the same class as the C-23, you have the Casa 212.  mmMMm, Casa....

(which will haul a Suzuki Samauri if you ask it to... But nothing wider...)

Since we're buying Aussie anyway, what about the PAC-750XL?  Its from New Zealand.. Close enough.

Seriously though
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PHall

Quote from: ZigZag911 on September 25, 2007, 01:19:02 AM
Well, why could not FEDEX, DHL, UPS fleets be called into service during disaster as cargo transportation?

If they're a member of the CRAF, they could be called up, by the President when he activates the CRAF.

PHall

Quote from: ZigZag911 on September 23, 2007, 06:24:41 PM
My point is that this is a circumstance that calls for mobilizing the assistance of the 'subject matter experts', that is, USAF Mobility Command (apologies if that isn't current term!) and civilian freight haulers....they'll do it quicker, know the routes, and simply approach the whole situation with greater efficiency.

WIWAC we learned about 'civil reserve air fleet'...does that still exist? Does it have application in DR situation?

Its Air Mobility Command, but you were close, you get half a cookie.

CRAF still exists. They fly to Iraq and Afghanistan just about every day. But they don't really have the right planes for most DR type missions. The military's C-5's, C-17's and C-130's are much more suited for DR missions, they don't require stuff like power carts and air bridges.

Frenchie

Quote from: PHall on September 25, 2007, 04:53:12 AM
Quote from: ZigZag911 on September 25, 2007, 01:19:02 AM
Well, why could not FEDEX, DHL, UPS fleets be called into service during disaster as cargo transportation?

If they're a member of the CRAF, they could be called up, by the President when he activates the CRAF.

I believe the CRAF only includes large aircraft intended for global transport.  Certainly this capability could be expanded to include smaller commerical carriers like FedEx's fleet of Caravans, but there's really no need for the type of mission the OP envisions.  There's already ample capability in the national guard in the form of everything from small helicopters all the way to C-130s (and even larger aircraft).

The CAP doesn't need to get into the transportation business.  It would be too maintenance and manpower intensive to maintain these types of aircraft and aircrews for a very infrequent demand and there's too many other organizations out there (like the national guard) which will always be able to do those missions better than CAP.

CAP just needs to focus on what it does well, which is to operate small single engine piston aircraft like the C172/C182 in missions which these aircraft are well suited.  That's the CAP's strength and what it will always do better and cheaper than anyone else.  Just my $.02 worth.