Another Outlet for Ground/UDF Team Work

Started by sardak, September 11, 2007, 07:01:43 PM

sardak

Here's the latest personal locator becaon to hit the market.  The TracMe.

It is not satellite based, but transmits on FRS channel 1. 
Transmit power < 10mW
The beacon can only be used once ($150 each) but will be replaced free if used for a "legitimate" emergency.
The DF unit lists for $795, but of course any FRS radio can monitor.

Have fun with this.

htttp://www.tracme.com

Mike

floridacyclist

As much luck as I've had tracking signals with a scanner, that shouldn't be too hard. Of course, almost any doppler unit would work too as long as it would tune to that frequency. Most use a wideband receiver or scanner, so they should although they might need a different set of antennas.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Eclipse

I would think you could make a home version with a standard FRS that has a call tone.

I wonder why they didn't use GMRS? That would have had better range.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Lord

I am skeptical (yes, I know that I am always skeptical) but I doubt that you could obtain an FCC approval for a design that broadcasts (i.i. does not receive, just transmits) Also, 10 mW's at UHF frequencies would be nearly worthless. RF path losses are about 6 times higher at these frequencies than VHF.

GMRS would be off-limits since it requires licensing, and, and broadcast-only is prohibited. In an emergency, any mode or type of transmission is legal, but that does not mean that the FCC  will let you import them.

Now, not to blow the APRS horn here, but a 300 mW VHF transmitter linked to a GPS receiver gives you a device that makes you visible on the internet almost anywhere in the country you can think of. It will show your position to within a couple of feet, costs nothing to operate, and requires no subscription. You can program in an emergency icon that every APRS-ham in America will see when they turn on their computer. I Garonteeeee that any ham seeing the emergency icon is going to jump straight out of his chair to call 911 or head to his car to come and get you! No ham license? Just don't turn it on until you are in peril of life or limb. (www.byonics.com/microtrak)

Major Lord

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Major Lord

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: sardak on September 11, 2007, 07:01:43 PM
Here's the latest personal locator becaon to hit the market.  The TracMe.

It is not satellite based, but transmits on FRS channel 1. 
Transmit power < 10mW
The beacon can only be used once ($150 each) but will be replaced free if used for a "legitimate" emergency.
The DF unit lists for $795, but of course any FRS radio can monitor.

Have fun with this.

htttp://www.tracme.com

Mike

I saw a TracMe being used in a training evolution at HMRS summer school this year.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

sardak

A full test report and DF test of the TracMe has been published.  Interestingly, CAP was involved in the test, on both air and ground.

http://www.equipped.org/tracme_eval.htm

In a related matter, the US Coast Guard filed a complaint with the FCC that the TracMe should not be called a Personal Locator Beacon.  The FCC seems to agree.  TracMe of course, disagrees.  All the gory details here.

http://www.equipped.org/blog/?p=67

Mike