NIMS requirements

Started by RiverAux, September 03, 2007, 02:50:18 PM

RiverAux

Some folks on another list are claiming that some NIMS requirements (various ICS courses) are already required in Middle East and Southeast Regions, but there are no approved supplements to 60-3 on the NHQ web site to back this up.  Has anyone from those regions seen anything in print?  The region web pages don't have anything about any such requirements either. 

I would be a little suprised if NHQ approved regional supplements to implement national standards rather than just doing a change to 60-3 at the national level. 

_

I'm from Maryland wing in MER.  From what I've heard, your concerns are being brought up to the higher leadership.  From what I recall the word came down by email.  There may have been conversations going on between the wings and region but we at the squadron levels heard about it primarily through email.  My personal feeling is that it's not a huge thing to complete the courses since they're open book tests for the lower levels.  We've been told to have the online courses (ICS100,200,700) complete by the end of this month. 300, 400 and the other higher level one's that require class time are not required till later.

arajca

Actually, the 300/400 level courses are not needed for about 90-95% of ES personnel. A quick breakdown:
ICS 100 & IS 700 - Everyone. Basically the NIMS version of GES.
ICS 200 & IS 800 - Front line leaders - GTL's, CUL's, AOBD, GDB, etc; PIO, Safety, Liasion Officer.
ICS 300 - Branch directors on large missions, section chiefs.
ICS 400 - Ops & Planning Section Chiefs on large missions, IC/AL

This is a simplified list and is NOT official.

RiverAux

I guess I'm just a little surprised that anyone would impose a whole lot of new requirements without following the clear wording in 60-3 regarding the need for an NHQ-approved supplement in order to make any change to ES qualifications. 

CAPR 60-3 1-3
QuoteAny written supplement, letter, clarification, waiver, or OI of this regulation must have prior written approval of NHQ CAP/DO.

Tubacap

Quote from: arajca on September 03, 2007, 04:35:13 PM
Actually, the 300/400 level courses are not needed for about 90-95% of ES personnel. A quick breakdown:
ICS 100 & IS 700 - Everyone. Basically the NIMS version of GES.
ICS 200 & IS 800 - Front line leaders - GTL's, CUL's, AOBD, GDB, etc; PIO, Safety, Liasion Officer.
ICS 300 - Branch directors on large missions, section chiefs.
ICS 400 - Ops & Planning Section Chiefs on large missions, IC/AL

This is a simplified list and is NOT official.

Having just completed 300, this is a great breakdown.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

SeattleSarge

ICS 100 and 700 is required to be registered as an Air SAR Emergency Worker in Washington State.  To work actual missions, CAP personnel must be registered.

FYI,

-SeattleSarge
Ronald G. Kruml, TSgt, CAP
Public Affairs - Mission Aircrewman
Seattle Composite Squadron PCR-WA-018
http://www.capseattlesquadron.org

RiverAux

Again, no approved supplement.  Would be easy enough to do for Washington Wing since it is a state-imposed requirement. 

_

I just looked back through what I have and this was put out as a policy letter.

sardak

Here is the list from the NIC, not from CAP.

FY07 NIMS compliance requirements for federal, state, local, tribal, private sector & non-governmental personnel to include:

Entry level first responders & disaster workers - EMS personnel, firefighters, hospital staff, law enforcement personnel, public health personnel, public works/utility personnel, skilled support personnel, other emergency management response, support, volunteer personnel at all levels
ICS-100, IS-700

First line supervisors, single resource leaders, field supervisors, and other emergency management/response personnel that require a higher level of ICS/NIMS Training.
ICS-100, ICS-200, IS-700

Mid-level management including strike team leaders, task force leaders, unit leaders, division/group supervisors, branch directors
ICS-100, ICS-200, ICS-300, IS-700, IS-800

Command and general staff, select department heads with multi-agency coordination system responsibilities, area commanders, emergency managers
ICS-100, ICS-200, ICS-300, ICS-400, IS-700, IS-800

Mike

_

The below chart is what we're going by.

isuhawkeye

hey gang. 

we have hashed this out many many times.  please do a search

RiverAux

Actually we have not ---- apparently these requirements are being implemented outside the normal ES regulation process in a piecemeal fashion across the country.  That seems something worth discussing.  That is new. 

isuhawkeye

OK lets have at it again....

down with the blasphemers who don't put changes in proper supplement.

Holding breath for the time when NHQ will put out guidance.

Oh wait, they don't think NIMS is finalized yet, so they wont put guidance out

I think that about sums it up. 

Please precede with your discussion

.......Goes and sits in the corner.....

RiverAux

Gee, I guess I was just being silly about thinking that our regulations meant what they said and that it was generally a good idea to follow them.  My mistake. 

davedove

Quote from: Bayhawk21 on September 03, 2007, 10:58:56 PM

Jon, I may be mistaken, but didn't they tell us at CLC that they had worked it through National, and that National was working to make it a requirement for all of CAP.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

_

Quote from: davedove on September 04, 2007, 11:34:46 AM
Quote from: Bayhawk21 on September 03, 2007, 10:58:56 PM

Jon, I may be mistaken, but didn't they tell us at CLC that they had worked it through National, and that National was working to make it a requirement for all of CAP.
I didn't catch the whole conversation so I'm not sure. 

Dustoff

Quote from: isuhawkeye on September 04, 2007, 03:10:50 AM

Maybe they're waiting for the NIMS revision due our July '07

...holding my breath for FEMA...      :o

Jim
Jim

arajca

Quote from: Dustoff on September 06, 2007, 02:16:07 AM
Quote from: isuhawkeye on September 04, 2007, 03:10:50 AM

Maybe they're waiting for the NIMS revision due our July '07

...holding my breath for FEMA...      :o

Jim
My, you're a pretty shade of blue. :angel:

ammotrucker

I just don't understand why your making such a fuss about this.   I have not seen anything in SER mentioned that it is currently mandatory.  If member want to get up to speed before it becomes so much the better.

At some point it will be mandatory you ban bet on that.

So, if you are IC, AL or command staff I would get it done and out of the way.  SO You can continue to perform your duties
RG Little, Capt

floridacyclist

It's not that big of a deal. Yes, we have been told that it's OK to teach to the new standards....that means that we can explain NIMS compliance to our students and when we teach GES, we include ICS100, 200, and 700 as well...then send them back to the national website for part 2 of the 116 test. It is not required or absolutely mandatory any more than GES; we have simply made it a part of our OTS and told folks they need to get it if they want to be used in an emergency.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org