Can DF Team Response Time be Improved??

Started by RADIOMAN015, August 05, 2007, 07:32:28 PM

Civilian_Pilot

Quote from: Eclipse on September 12, 2007, 10:00:33 PM

But you can't expect volunteers with lives to sit in their vehicles with the motors running waiting for a call.

Its simply not reasonable.

You don't know Tom.

A.Member

Quote from: Civilian_Pilot on September 12, 2007, 10:02:47 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on September 12, 2007, 10:00:33 PM

But you can't expect volunteers with lives to sit in their vehicles with the motors running waiting for a call.

Its simply not reasonable.

You don't know Tom.
Civilian_pilot, with all due respect, you've made your feelings on the issue very clear.  No only in this thread but in numerous other threads as well.  You are now just repeating yourself - ie. beating that proverbial dead horse.  Based on some of your comments, it can be assumed that you've never taken part in a SAR mission, and most certainly not this one in particular.  Given this, you might be better served by dialing it back a notch and trying to learn more before jumping to conclusions.  I understand and appreciate your concern but you must also understand that we have a tremendous amount of SAR experience and we're very good at what we do.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Civilian_Pilot

Quote from: A.Member on September 12, 2007, 10:10:41 PM
  Based on some of your comments, it can be assumed that you've never taken part in a SAR mission, and most certainly not this one in particular.  Given this, you might be better served by dialing it back a notch and trying to learn more before jumping to conclusions.  I understand and appreciate your concern but you must also understand that we have a tremendous amount of SAR experience and we're very good at what we do.

This is true,  I have never been involved in a SAR other than reporting ELT transmissions on 121.5 to ATC or listening for an ELT at their request.

But I doubt you have any experience at doing what I do which is make a living flying.  As such (until now) I had a preconceived idea of CAP.  Honestly it was pretty favorable...  Until I read how the grandstanding was in Ops for the Fossett search and understood how much one person can impact a critical operation.

Part of the safety net that I have as a working pilot is CAP.  Without working pilots CAP would have no reason for being what it is.

Ultimately the point I am getting at is somehow my perception of the organization became something less than it was after reading a few of the actions which transpired in the Fossett search operations. 

The funny thing is it's hard for me to quantify exactly why.

RiverAux

Johnny Yuma

Here in KSWG we have one unit ES officer who's house is nicknamed The Firehouse because at any given time there's enough Seniors and Cadets hanging out and eating at his house to field 1-2 GT's. Response time varies on what being served, since most of our ELT missions begin between 1800-2000. Taco night gets pretty fast response (20 minutes) but if it's Seafood night we're going to finish our Crab Legs first (30 minutes). If Phil's barbecuing it'll take a little longer to clean up and get changed.

Then again this unit is the closest thing to an Infantry Company CAP has, complete with marksmanship program!
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

SJESOFFICER

Quote from: Civilian_Pilot on September 13, 2007, 12:08:32 AM
[

Part of the safety net that I have as a working pilot is CAP.  Without working pilots CAP would have no reason for being what it is.

SAR may be an integral part of us but its not our only mission or our how we started...  That one event you mentioned flared some people but it didn't effect search efforts...
1 LT Brendan Gadd
San Jose Sqd 80, CAWG
Emergency Services Officer