Change of command and color guard

Started by floridacyclist, July 16, 2007, 09:30:25 PM

floridacyclist

The new CC has asked me to put together a COC ceremony with as much pomp and circumstance as we can muster...he wants to make a point that we are a military organization and that we aren't playing when it comes to standards etc. Things are off to a new start with our open house once school starts and OTS/CBT coming up, so this is all fine by me - let's start with a bang.

He has told the DCC to have the color guard ready and has asked me to MC the shebang. Funny thing is, I can't find any mention of a color guard in the CAP or any military COC protocols unless you are doing a full pass in review which would strike me as somewhat comical with 12 cadets (assuming that we have a good turnout).

Is there anything improper about posting the colors for a COC? Would we do it after we had everyone fall in, then the DCC/DCP fall into formation for the ceremony itself? Has anyone combined a posting of the colors with a COC?
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Skyray

Small command changes of command are a challenge.  A couple of weeks ago I attended a change of command for a Coast Guard cutter which had a crew of twelve.  First the MC called the assembly to attention, then the color guard posted the colors.  After the colors were posted, the ships company (all twelve of them) were marched into position to the right of the podium and got to stand there at attention or parade rest for the rest of the ceremony, which was blessedly short. Dignitaries in the chain of command such as the base commander and the sector commander were announced,  arriving in reverse order of precedence with two claps of the ships bell for each arrival and an announcement like "Sector Miami, Arriving."  After all the dignitaries were seated, the MC gave a short speech outlining the outgoing commander's foibles and accomplishments.  Then the incoming commander's history was read and the outgoing commander read her orders, and then the incoming commander read his orders, at the end of which he announced that she was relieved and she accepted relief.  At that point, the new commander ordered "Ship's Company, Parade Rest." which symbolized his command.  Then they kinda did the whole thing in reverse with the last item being the color guard retiring the colors.  Might not work for you, but it seemed pretty generic military.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

Tubacap

CAPP 2 has the ceremony in it.  I just adapted it for the same type of situation, it worked particularly well.  It is attachment 4 which starts on page 14.  Just make sure that you read the whole thing first!  Music can be obtained at www.usafband.com or if you PM me I can email you a bunch of appropriate music.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Tubacap

CAPP 3, sorry.  Multitasking after a long day is sometimes difficult.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

floridacyclist

I  saw that.....was what I was talking about when I mentioned no reference to a color guard.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
www.tallahasseecap.org

ZigZag911

Posting the colors would be seem to be an entirely appropriate as part of the COC ceremony; it would give a formal start to the proceedings.

jimmydeanno

IMO, adapting the COC ceremony by using a color guard during the change of command ceremony itself would be inappropriate.  However, I do not think it inappropriate to have a color guard post the colors to kick off whatever festivities you have planned.

Example:

1. Everyone Assembles
2. Color Guard posts the colors
3. National Anthem, pledge of allegiance
4. Awards and promotions (if you have any)
5. MC reads the "what you are about to witness is the time honored ceremony of the change of command..."
6. Change of command ceremony listed above.
7. retreival of colors. (can skip this if there isn't much time between the posting and the end of the ceremony (it would seem awkward))
8. social event (food and beverage)

I don't know if you COC is open to the public (parents, families, etc.)

Since your CC wants pomp and circumstance involved in the ceremony, it would probably be recommended to invite as many people as possible.  The purpose of the COC is so the troops can see their new commander, it is nice for the parents and such to see that as well.  So I'd definitely try to incorporate it into an awards and promotions night, capped off with the COC ceremony.  Get a cake and some food and allow for some socialization time afterward.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Sgt. Savage

Make sure not to confuse "The Colors" with the Squadron Guidon.

The best way I've seen this done is by having the flag and the wing guidon posted behind the official party and having the squadron guidon posted in position with the squadron. When the time comes to officiate the coc, the guidon bearer presents the guidon and when done, returns it to post.

Just another option. It obviously needs to be done in a manner that works best for your situation.

ZigZag911

I meant what jimmydeanno explained...posting colors to open the overall event, not during COC itself.

floridacyclist

OK, so perhaps this could be the script. I'll have it printed once it's finalized.

Outgoing CC (OCC): Falls squadron in, receives reports as per normal protocols "POST"

MC: "Color Guard, post the colors"

OCC: Left face, walk to side of formation near MC

Color Guard: posts the colors
(if sound system available)National Anthem, (if not)pledge of allegiance

OCC: Returns to center of and faces formation with Guidon behind and to right of him

OCC: Short speech thanking squadron for opportunity to command, conclude with awards

Dep CC of Cadets (DCC): Join OCC for awards (since she gives out all the awards - I don't think sen Officers are allowed to receive awards in our squadron). Return to her place in the formation when done.

Dep Group CC(DGCC) takes place behind OCC

OCC:About Face

DGCC: "Report!"

OCC: Salute and report

DGCC: Return salute

OCC: Right face, take place near MC in line with and facing DGCC, with ICC on his left and and Guidon to his right

MC: "The following will be the time-honored ceremony designed to mark the moment where the responsibility of command is passed to the incoming commander"

Guidon: Takes place behind and to left of DGCC facing formation

DGCC : right face

OCC: Step forward to face DGCC, salute, "Sir, I relinquish command"

ICC: Once OCC is clear, take 1 or 2 sidesteps to the right to line up behind OCC

DGCC: Return OCC's salute

OCC: Take flag from Guidon and give to DGCC, take two steps backward, right-face, two steps forward, right-flank and re-take original position in line with and facing ICC's back

ICC: As soon as OCC is clear, step forward to face DGCC, salute, "Sir, I accept Command"

DGCC: Return salute

ICC: Take flag from DGCC and return it to guidon

All Participants: face formation

Guidon: Take place at ICC's left rear

ICC: (opt) Place formation at Parade rest, short speech

MC: "This concludes the ceremony. Once you are dismissed from formation, please join in the receiving line to congratulate our new Squadron Commander. Please join us in a reception at our Squadron's normal post-meeting hangout - otherwise known as Steak n Shake. Color Guard, please retrieve the colors"

DGCC and group: face left and march to near the MC

Color Guard: Retrieve Colors

ICC: Return to center "First Sergeant, DISMISS THE SQUADRON"

1st Sgt: Takes position and dismisses squadron in accordance with established protocol
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
www.tallahasseecap.org

Skyray

It is a tiny insignificant nit, but I would Retire the colors.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

floridacyclist

Tiny insignificant nits do matter and you're right...while the drill manual tells you to retrieve the colors, the actual command is to retire the colors.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
www.tallahasseecap.org