What is the status of the "middle school initiative"?

Started by OldGuy, March 29, 2018, 04:28:34 PM

OldGuy

I have a number of local middle schools interested.

OldGuy

Luis R. Ramos

I think the Middle Schools Initiative was a program in existence about 10 years ago but now is dead. Under this program Middle Schools were able to receive a special charter. Not anymore. There may be some schools that joined some time ago and were able to keep their charters but no new charters are being created.

You may still find elements created for that program now.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Offutteer

information about the Cadets at School program.

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/programs/cadets/cpo/cadets-at-school/

I believe Joanna Lee is still oversees the program at NHQ.

OldGuy

NIN

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on March 29, 2018, 04:38:15 PM
I think the Middle Schools Initiative was a program in existence about 10 years ago but now is dead. Under this program Middle Schools were able to receive a special charter. Not anymore. There may be some schools that joined some time ago and were able to keep their charters but no new charters are being created.

Yeah, thats not correct. Offutteer provided the current weblink.

CAPR 39-2 contains guidance on cadet membership for cadets joining Middle School Initiative squadrons (para 2.2.1)

Because "Middle School Initiative" units are not chartered like regular units, the process to create one requires some involvement with NHQ and your Wing. Specifically to ensure that the unit is going to be well supported by higher HQ and well staffed and managed locally, because it doesn't meet/act quite like a "regular" unit.

Because there is a lot of "not quite like a regular CAP unit" support that a MSI unit requires, you should definitely be talking to wing.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

OldGuy

Quote from: NIN on March 30, 2018, 02:43:44 AM
Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on March 29, 2018, 04:38:15 PM

Yeah, thats not correct. Offutteer provided the current weblink.

CAPR 39-2 contains guidance on cadet membership for cadets joining Middle School Initiative squadrons (para 2.2.1)

Because "Middle School Initiative" units are not chartered like regular units, the process to create one requires some involvement with NHQ and your Wing. Specifically to ensure that the unit is going to be well supported by higher HQ and well staffed and managed locally, because it doesn't meet/act quite like a "regular" unit.

Because there is a lot of "not quite like a regular CAP unit" support that a MSI unit requires, you should definitely be talking to wing.
Thank you! Is the correct contact R&R or Cadet Programs?