Need job advice - NE and ND members

Started by pfdore, August 07, 2017, 12:44:43 AM

pfdore

I'm trying to answer a new calling to middle school or high school teaching. I have been in Arkansas' alternative licensing program for over a year, as well as substitute taught for over a year.  I used to be a petroleum landman.  The problem is an extremely tight market for teachers combined with little funds for relocation. Interviews at Arkansas schools have been few.

I have heard rumors of high demand for teachers in western Nebraska and North Dakota and that some districts will even offer signing bonuses to relocate. Any truth to this?  If so, can anyone recommend somebody to contact?

Plan B is an attempt to return to the oil patch now that it is picking up a little bit, but I truly feel called to be a teacher (I was more or less forced out of the oilfield for over a year with the last market bust).

Certifications: Grades 7-12 Social Studies, Speech/Debate
                       Grades 4-8 Science

Pending Certification - English Grades 7-12

Education: JD, University of Tulsa. BA Political Science University of California at Berkeley

Thanks.

1Lt Phillip F Dore, CAP
ARWG Comm Training Officer

NEBoom

Lt Dore,
I'm afraid I don't have any direct information about school districts in Western NE.  That said, understand that the population out there (I live in Lincoln) is on the decline and has been for some years.  They might be offering bonuses, but budgets are tight so don't expect them to translate to big $$.

A notable exception to this is Lexington, NE.  If you have a Spanish language and/or ESL background this might be an especially good place to look.  Lex has what I'd describe as a burgeoning Latino community, fueled by the meat packing plant that opened there some years back.  Lots of first gen immigrants, but also many who are well established.  Not certain of the growth rate currently, but there has been significant growth there in the recent past (full disclosure:  my father grew up in Elwood, 17 miles south of Lex, and I have an uncle and four cousins who live in the area, so I've seen evidence of this growth first-hand).  Population wise they're the only bright spot out that way, everyone else is in decline.

After Lex I suppose North Platte would be the next place to look.  I don't have any info on NP at all, other than it's the biggest town out that way.  North of I-80/Platte River is ranch land.  In some places it's literally 40 miles to your nearest neighbor and more cattle than people.  If you want a more remote locale there are some good places like perhaps Valentine and Alliance to check out.

Hope that helps, good luck!
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

RogueLeader

I'm currently next to Western NE (7 miles if you're interested.) I have some friends and family (including teachers) in Bridgeport, who may have some information for you, and I'll see what I can dig up.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

pfdore

Thanks. Please do let me know if you hear anything. I've heard in my family that I have distant cousins in the Lex area whom I haven't met yet (grandfather's older brother supposedly moved there with the railroad. Grandfather was Omaha born and raised.), but I haven't been in touch with the family who would know how to contact them in years.