Main Menu

School me

Started by Gunsotsu, July 13, 2017, 10:36:40 PM

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on July 18, 2017, 02:35:25 PM
Quote from: NIN on July 18, 2017, 01:43:38 AM
"You're not wrong if you're wearing the uniform your commander specifies"

You are if the wear of that uniform violates a regulation, unless the assertion is that a Commander
can just waive whatever reg they choose.  Can a guy with a beard wear Mess Dress for uniformity?

I say the above granting that uniform regs are ignored all the way up to the National level, but this
entire thread is academic from that perspective, so there you are...

Its your commander's problem at that point, but yeah.

If there's an activity, say at Wing HQ, and your commander says "Yep, you can go. Uniform is utilities" and absent you getting other guidance (ie. "the UOD for this event is Class B blues") you show up in utilities, then its on your commander who told you "This is the uniform you wear."

The actual phrase I was taught 30 years ago was "You're never wrong if you wear the uniform your commander specifies."

Thats why when I see cadets at a Region Conference in BDUs, I'm *reasonably* certain that the person who really needs a talking-to is not C/Amn Snuffy, but Captain Burns who said "yeah, well, wear BDUs.. its a uniform."

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on July 18, 2017, 03:53:20 PM
The actual phrase I was taught 30 years ago was "You're never wrong if you wear the uniform your commander specifies."

This presupposes "your" commander is knowledgeable about both the activity and the regs, cares enough to have a clue, and has any
authority in the matter, none of which is consistent or even expected in CAP.

You don't want to know the number of times we've had cadets show up without hats, or even a required uniform to
encampment, despite a detailed packing list, because some clueless commander said "What would you need that for?"
I'm sure you've experienced the same thing.

There's also the non-trivial matter of "your" commander being a "golf-shirt-only pilot" who's skimmed 60-1 just long enough to
get his F5, and could care less about what >he< wears, so "Why are you so uptight about rules, man?  Let's just touch the SKYYYYY!!!
There are far too many situations in CAP where the unit CC is literally the least informed person in the room.

Quote from: NIN on July 18, 2017, 03:53:20 PM
Thats why when I see cadets at a Region Conference in BDUs, I'm *reasonably* certain that the person who really needs a talking-to is not C/Amn Snuffy, but Captain Burns who said "yeah, well, wear BDUs.. its a uniform."

Fair enough for cadets, this is about an adult member who appears to know the rules yet disregarded them.

"That Others May Zoom"