Which squadrons get surplus uniforms?

Started by jfkspotting, May 30, 2017, 11:15:56 PM

jfkspotting

I'm in NY wing. never heard any of us get surplus? How do we get them, and if we were to get them how much would we pay?

EMT-83

What did your chain of command say when you asked them?

Al Sayre

Last Year AAFES donated a lot of Gen 1 ABU's to CAP.  Many were odd sizes. 

I don't know about your region, but in SER, the Wings collected and inventoried them and then re-distributed them to the Region based on individual Wings' requests and what was available to fill them. 

What remains are generally VERY large and VERY small.  Your squadron leadership can work through the chain of command to find out what is still available.  There may be some small cost to the squadron to cover shipping if they can't be transferred by squadron members attending group/wing meetings.

You may be able to get some donated from your local AF(J)ROTC units or AF/ANG bases for the cost of volunteering to clean out their store rooms for them...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Spaceman3750

The AAFES donation actually happened? Must have gotten sucked up somewhere in my region because we didn't hear a single thing about them at the unit level.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 31, 2017, 06:39:10 PM
The AAFES donation actually happened? Must have gotten sucked up somewhere in my region because we didn't hear a single thing about them at the unit level.

As with most things...there's a story.

N6RVT

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 31, 2017, 06:39:10 PMThe AAFES donation actually happened? Must have gotten sucked up somewhere in my region because we didn't hear a single thing about them at the unit level.

You didn't miss much.  Most of what we got would only fit the CAP members who exceeded H/W and couldn't wear them.   A large portion was maternity uniforms.  The usable sizes were not in any matching set - if a coat fit you, we had no pants your size.  Or the reverse of that.

Luis R. Ramos

So what if you get a coat, no pants? Or pants but no coat?

It will still be a savings whether you get a donated coat and have to buy pants. Or vice versa!

You cannot expect a completely free ride always.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

Like those Pontiacs, it sounded good on paper, until people read the fine print...

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

:clap:

With the ABUs we get the fine print piecemeal.

With the BDUs and the BBDUs we get the fine print beforehand.

With the ABUs, some of the BDU and BBDU (CAPM 39-1) fine print applies.

>:D
Squadron Safety Officer

kwe1009

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on June 01, 2017, 12:33:13 PM
So what if you get a coat, no pants? Or pants but no coat?

It will still be a savings whether you get a donated coat and have to buy pants. Or vice versa!

You cannot expect a completely free ride always.

That is true but the Gen 1 ABU actually came in a few different color shades (despite the AF denying it) so that makes it even more difficult to match up the top and bottom.  I am seeing a few people running around with mismatched coats and pants in CAP and I still see it occasionally in the USAF too.

NIN

Quote from: kwe1009 on June 01, 2017, 03:16:06 PM
That is true but the Gen 1 ABU actually came in a few different color shades (despite the AF denying it) so that makes it even more difficult to match up the top and bottom.  I am seeing a few people running around with mismatched coats and pants in CAP and I still see it occasionally in the USAF too.

And oddly, the world keeps turning on its axis! :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Luis R. Ramos

Squadron Safety Officer

kwe1009

Quote from: NIN on June 01, 2017, 05:11:58 PM
Quote from: kwe1009 on June 01, 2017, 03:16:06 PM

And oddly, the world keeps turning on its axis! :)

True but that doesn't mean it is right or looks good.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on June 01, 2017, 06:23:14 PM
Methinks it is too much like...

Me thinks it was cheapest disposal AF could find...

Eclipse

Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on June 02, 2017, 04:20:47 AM
Me thinks it was cheapest disposal AF could find...

+1 - No idea how this really works in the guv'mint sector regarding "write-offs", since it's all
guv'mint cheese, but I would imagine on some GAO report somewhere "donated" looks better then "disposed".

Maybe it's all the same to them, but they were clearly blocking MCSS lunch rooms all over the country,
and now CAP is stuck with a lot of stuff it'll never be able to use, and didn't get nearly the "win" it was purported to be.

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

Maybe it sounds "cheap disposal" but it still is a win-win situation.

>:D

Squadron Safety Officer

BHartman007

My wing got tons of them. My squadron got two van loads. Now I have about two van loads of BDUs to get rid of.

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

Laplace

Quote from: BHartman007 on June 02, 2017, 12:36:11 PM
My wing got tons of them. My squadron got two van loads. Now I have about two van loads of BDUs to get rid of.

So that's where all the SWR ABUs went..... ;)

dogden

Per my understanding, uniforms were available for pickup at all AF bases with AAFES uniform sales locations. TXWG has 6 AF bases within its boundaries vs. 1 for LAWG. TXWG also has 3173 members vs. LAWG 543. Seems like a pretty even match to me.  There are 16 AF bases in SWR, TXWG did not get all of the uniforms in SWR.
David C Ogden, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing, Group IV Commander
GRW#3325

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: dogden on June 19, 2017, 04:34:23 PM
Per my understanding, uniforms were available for pickup at all AF bases with AAFES uniform sales locations. TXWG has 6 AF bases within its boundaries vs. 1 for LAWG. TXWG also has 3173 members vs. LAWG 543. Seems like a pretty even match to me.  There are 16 AF bases in SWR, TXWG did not get all of the uniforms in SWR.

So I guess the wings with no bases/stock are SOL. Seems good to me!

dogden

Our Wing/CC made the offer to other wing commanders who didn't have bases within their boundaries to get some of the uniforms and either they didn't respond, the sizes were not available or they didn't want to pay for the shipping.
David C Ogden, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing, Group IV Commander
GRW#3325