Main Menu

AFJROTC Uniforms

Started by BillB, May 29, 2017, 01:42:32 PM

BillB

This is the time of the year that a Dep for Cadets or CC needs to contact the local high school AFJROTC. Normally they have surplus blues and possibility ABUs at the end of a semester., Since according to Holm Center, AFJROTC surplus uniforms can only go to DRMO or CAP
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Flying Pig

Very true... a few years back, my SQ received hundreds of uniform sets from a couple AFJROTC units.   Many were brand new.  We had so many we even issued them to new Seniors. 

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: BillB on May 29, 2017, 01:42:32 PM
AFJROTC surplus uniforms can only go to DRMO or CAP

Is that codified in an AFI?  I'd like to start getting in contact with local schools, but want to make sure I've got all my ducks in a row first (never done this before!).

Eclipse

http://www.au.af.mil/au/holmcenter/AFJROTC/documents/AFJROTCI23-101.pdf

Page 8:

"2.9.5. Donate items to Civil Air Patrol if desired. Charitable/not-for-profit organizations and
unofficial JROTC/Leadership Programs in middle schools and high schools are not
authorized to receive donated uniforms."

"That Others May Zoom"

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: Eclipse on May 29, 2017, 03:14:57 PM

Page 8:

"2.9.5. Donate items to Civil Air Patrol if desired. Charitable/not-for-profit organizations and

Fantastic!  Thank you!

kwe1009

Page 8:

That paragraph is part of "UNSERVICEABLE" uniform disposition.  If you read the paragraphs just above it the AFJROTC unit is supposed to remove all buttons from the service coat, for example.

Para 2.8 directs AFJROTC units to return all excess serviceable uniform items to the Holm Center.

I do know that AFJROTC units in my area regularly donate uniforms to CAP but I don't believe there is an actual mandate for them to do it.

Eclipse

Quote from: kwe1009 on May 30, 2017, 01:40:41 PM

Page 8:

That paragraph is part of "UNSERVICEABLE" uniform disposition.  If you read the paragraphs just above it the AFJROTC unit is supposed to remove all buttons from the service coat, for example.

Para 2.8 directs AFJROTC units to return all excess serviceable uniform items to the Holm Center.

I do know that AFJROTC units in my area regularly donate uniforms to CAP but I don't believe there is an actual mandate for them to do it.

I don't read it them same way,  to me that says "if you want to toss them in the trash, take off the buttons, otherwise,
OK to donate to CAP as-is..." (this reduces the number of vagrants wandering around in ABUs, theoretically).

I don't see any reference to a requirement that excess uniforms be returned to the Holm Center, only that they may be shipped to other
AFJROTC units.

That still raises the (possibly / typically unanswerable) question of why the allowance for donation to CAP is
in a section under the heading "serviceable uniforms", because what is the point of donating "serviceable" anything to CAP?

The logical place for this would have been in the excess uniform area.

One could presume that in this case "unserviceable" really means "we can't use them, but they are usable", but
presuming anything with AFIs and CAP regs is generally treacherous at best.

"That Others May Zoom"

BillB

Yesterday (6/1) I got a phone call from AFJROTC that they had surplus uniforms. Picked up two LARGE boxes of shoes, and three big bags of blues. Probably enough to furnish a basic uniform for 2-3 squadrons new members. I don't think this group of surplus had flight caps, belts or socks, but usually they do show up once a year. Only problem with the blue shirts, they have the school AFJROTC shoulder patch on which has to be removed for CAP.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104