Japanese CAP fashion!?!

Started by bd5av8r, March 13, 2017, 04:41:16 AM

bd5av8r

Quote from: NIN on March 13, 2017, 09:08:48 PM
Hey, they got some sweet, sweet dark blue nametapes. No ultramarine for high fashion.

Sweet blueberry pie, LOL!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greetings from SC!

SarDragon

Quote from: Angus on March 13, 2017, 06:28:13 PM
I wonder how much longer they'll be allowed to continue making product.  I wouldn't be surprised if the big V calls them out.

It's not Vanguard's intellectual property, it belongs to CAP. CAP would be the one to initiate any C&D action. Vanguard merely holds the license to manufacture.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Since the IP is provided via a Public Law, and not Copyright, are there even any rights to enforce outside the US?

It would probably have to be inside a trade agreement somewhere separate from any world-wide recognition of "copyright".

"That Others May Zoom"

bd5av8r

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on March 13, 2017, 08:48:23 PM
Still, Iconix Brand Group has offices in Manhattan, New York City.

Why are people here talking about "an American company suing a company in the Pac Rim."

Where is the office of Iconix Brand Group?

Although I do not think it would matter. As Eclipse pointed out, I think and others hinted, this would be a very difficult case to take to court.

Avirex is not selling these products in the US, so Vanguard's market is not affected. Vanguard would not sell these items in Japan, since there is no "Civil Air Patrol" in Japan aside from the squadron in Yokosuka, I believe. Again, no effect in Vanguard's market. It does not matter whether Avirex is American or in Asia.

I still want to know why people in here are saying "an American company sending a C&D to a company in the Pac Rim."
Actually they are selling these items in the US. A post earlier in the thread shows an item on display in a US mall. :)
Greetings from SC!

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

ProdigalJim

Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/XP
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

McDaddy2003

I like the Earhart ribbon epaulets on that one soccer jersey.

Robert Hartigan

The collection is not complete! It is missing a Guayabera shirt and a blue Smurf suit.
<><><>#996
GRW   #2717

LTC Don

I see there are a number of discrepancies in the emblems, such as the stripes on the prop blades, and the colors on some of the patches are off.  Perhaps they think the stripes on the prop blades in the CAP seal is sufficient to be 'different' and immune from IP issues, but also noting they are careful to not use the actual colors in the real seal.

The CAP emblem was obsoleted year before last?  So it's open game?

On the jacket that has the Middle East Region patches on the back, they are using the obsolete NC Wing patch with the red border.  Not sure what's 'off' on the other wing patches.  Was the FL wing gator patch obsoleted also?
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

ProdigalJim

Quote from: LTC Don on March 14, 2017, 12:06:54 PM
I see there are a number of discrepancies in the emblems, such as the stripes on the prop blades, and the colors on some of the patches are off.  Perhaps they think the stripes on the prop blades in the CAP seal is sufficient to be 'different' and immune from IP issues, but also noting they are careful to not use the actual colors in the real seal.

The CAP emblem was obsoleted year before last?  So it's open game?

On the jacket that has the Middle East Region patches on the back, they are using the obsolete NC Wing patch with the red border.  Not sure what's 'off' on the other wing patches.  Was the FL wing gator patch obsoleted also?

Somehow I don't think "authenticity" was the goal here. Just a hunch...  :P
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/XP
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

oweng_01

I find it kind of disrespectful, but hey I will sell them my old bdus for that much cash! Sounds like an easy way to work up the money for ABU's

---Local SAR Guy

Chappie

Looked through my closet...and for the first time in years, some of my clothing items are now "trendy".   I will be "stylin" next time the wife and I go out for sushi.   :)
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

swanny

Quote from: Brad on March 13, 2017, 06:54:55 PM
I'll bet the members in Okinawa, Yokota, and Misawa are feeling like rock stars right about now, heh.

Yes, the Civil Air Patrol clothing it is a big trend here in Japan with people wearing it out in town. If only we could recruit non-sofa cadets we would be set!  ;)

Starbird

Why why why why why.... just why!

chuckmilam

DrBobT

Wow, it appears I am cool somewhere!  lol