CAPP52-8: CAP Honor Guard pub too over the top?

Started by alamrcn, June 08, 2007, 02:16:04 PM

alamrcn

I've never had a purpose to look through the Honor Guard publication that Lt Col Amanda Anderson (of MDWG?) put together, till I was doing some research on a semi-related topic. Now, I didn't read it cover-to-cover and word for word... but a few things jumped out at me - made me start to mumble the 'ol Whiskey Tango Foxtrot - as I flipped through the pages.

First, I noticed every couple of pages there was a flag with "SAFETY FIRST" accompanied by a short statement. Lots of goofy reminders, similar to 'don't poke your eye out with the flag staff' and 'look at the rifle when you're throwing it in the air' - a lot of DUH commentaries.

Second, the words "non-operational parade rifle" weren't just a mention that we don't use live weapons, but a phrase that was repeated over and over again. Never just "rifle" or "parade rifle" mentioned alone without the "non-operational" disclaimer.

Third, the WHOLE Attachment 4 - all about Drug Demand Reduction. This would be a great publication on its own, but pictures of pot leafs and crack pipes don't have much to do with ceremonial drill. There was even a PLAY - yes, a story to act out - about drinking and driving!! I get the idea about members of the Honor Guard being an ultimate example to other membership and the general public, but COME ON!!

There was a LOT of detailed information that is very vital to a successful Honor Guard in the publication - it really did have EVERYTHING you would ever need or want to know about the duty and responsability. However, the PC overtones [for lack of a better description] were just too abundant and distracting... almost to the point of discrediting the whole project that Lt Col Anderson did work so hard to put together.

Obviously, I'm not really into the Nerf-covered, warm and fuzzy, legal-action fearing type of organization that CAP has become... but still, isn't this over the top for the real purpose of the pamphlet?

-Ace

[EDIT: correct "riffle" to "rifle" - so sorry 'bout me Engrish]

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Pylon

Quote from: alamrcn on June 08, 2007, 02:16:04 PM
Third, the WHOLE attachment four - all about Drug Demand Reduction! This should be its own publication, because pictures of pot leafs and crack pipes don't have much to do with ceremonial drill. There was even a PLAY - yes, a story to act out - about drinking and driving!! I get the idea about members of the Honor Guard being an ultimate example the other membership and the public, but COME ON!!

Uh... you do understand that one of the required components of the Honor Guard is the drama/DDR piece, right?  That's supposed to be a component of what an HG does.  They're not just throwing that in there because they couldn't find anywhere else to put some DDR info.     ::)

Second, the words "non-operational parade riffle" weren't just a mention that we don't use live weapons, but that phrase was repeated everywhere - never just "riffle" or "parade riffle" alone without "non-operational" before it.

I'm not sure what a riffle is, but if it's anything like a rifle it probably bears repeating that they should be non-operational.  How many people read a regulation cover to cover?  Exactly.  So when Cadet Snuffy and the staff of the Middle O' Nowhere Cadet Squadron decide to do some HG stuff and just skip to the juicy stuff without reading all that boring safety and regulatory stuff tucked into an obscure section, they are still reminded that they can't use Uncle Joe's still-operating M1 Garands to twirl for ceremonies.   

First, I noticed ever couple of pages there was a flag with "SAFETY FIRST" accompanied be a short reminder statement. Lots of goofy things, similar to 'don't poke your eye out with the flag staff' and 'look at the gun when you twirl it around' - a lot of DUH commentaries.

A lot of safety reminders and tips you would think are simple, common sensical things that don't need to be said.  But when they actually do "go without saying," people do these things.  How many safety mishaps are over simple or common sense things?    I've never read the publication in question, so maybe the Safety Firsts are over the top and overwhelming. I don't know.   But also consider that sometimes we need to be reminded of the simple stuff.  Safety is always a concern, and it's not a "nerf-covered, warm and fuzzy, legal-action fearing" thing as you suggest, but a legitimate concern to keep our people safe and uninjured.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

DDR is CAPs Honor Guard cash cow... Or at least it was when the pamphlet was written.  

Also watch what you say about the program... Someone from the NHGA Gestapo will probably be on this topic in no time.  They are very sensitive about their image.
Mike Johnston

Eclipse

"non-operational parade rifle" is just like "Practice Beacon" (vs. ELT).

Its what it is, simple, and insures no one does anything "cool" like bring their Dad's M14's
to a parade.

I will say, that on at least on occasion, while running an encampment at the same time a high-visibility
funeral was going on within 150 ft of my vehicle, where Secret Service and Marine SP's were guarding
Congressman and Flag Officers, I basically had a heart attack when someone radioed "I'll pull the rifles
out of the truck, and saw them going to pull them out...."

AH!  I corrected 4 times the terminology and told them to KNOCK IT OFF!   :o

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: MIKE on June 08, 2007, 02:46:36 PM
DDR is CAPs Honor Guard cash cow... Or at least it was when the pamphlet was written. 

Also watch what you say about the program... Someone from the NHGA Gestapo will probably be on this topic in no time.  They are very sensitive about their image.

* NIN places hands over mouth.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

dwb

Oh, it's over the top alright, but not because of the Safety First warnings...

QuoteI am a proud member of a Civil Air Patrol Honor Guard.

My Standards of Conduct and high level of professionalism show the respect for and dedication to my craft and those with whom I serve.

I have earned the right to wear the Ceremonial Uniform, which is steeped in rich tradition and history.

I am superbly conditioned to perfect all movements in every drill or ceremony.

Neither the type of ceremony, severity of temperature, nor size of the audience will ever dictate the level of quality of my performance.

I am constantly driven to excel by a strong sense of dedication, patriotism, love for my fellow man, God, Country, and Civil Air Patrol.

While performing, I stand sharp and crisp; motionless by choice, for I have voluntarily chosen to represent every member, past and present, of the United States Air Force Auxiliary – Civil Air Patrol.
I am a Ceremonial Guardsman.

Where's that puking smiley?

alamrcn

Quote from: Eclipse on June 08, 2007, 03:14:02 PM
"non-operational parade rifle" is just like "Practice Beacon" (vs. ELT).

That is a great analogy. Maybe we should start using a term like "Practice Rifle" or "Cadet Rifle" that sounds more like a piece of equipment than a reminder. Heck, just say what it is - a FAKE GUN! Luckily, we haven't had to put the orange tips on the barrels.... yet.

I did not know that the Drunk Driving skit was a requirement - never heard of our wing's team having done one, although they have a really sharp program and I'm sure have met any requirements set forth including this one. With apparently a lot of DDR money going into the Honor Guard program and/or Academy, I suppose this type of activity is what "pays the bills" so to speak. Still, the DDR stuff would make a great handout on it's own... We don't include the CPFT in the Drill and Ceremonies manual, as much as they have to do with each other.

Again, this IS a really well put together and concise booklet. I just thought some of the stuff included was either unnecessary, or a little corny. I agree that safety is important, and any chance to prevent a mishap could save property and lives. But when it goes as far as these little "CYA" warnings in an organizational document - almost to the form of your automobile manual (take a look, it's funny) - I think we've really jumped the shark and are opening ourselves up to problems where there were not any.

"I tripped on my untied shoe laces while running my mile, because the CPFT manual didn't say to tie them." Actually, I hope it doesn't say to tie them - I never needed to check.

- Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

shorning

Quote from: justin_bailey on June 08, 2007, 03:46:57 PM

QuoteI am a proud member of a Civil Air Patrol Honor Guard.

My Standards of Conduct and high level of professionalism show the respect for and dedication to my craft and those with whom I serve.

I have earned the right to wear the Ceremonial Uniform, which is steeped in rich tradition and history.

Neither the type of ceremony, severity of temperature, nor size of the audience will ever dictate the level of quality of my performance.

I am constantly driven to excel by a strong sense of dedication, patriotism, love for my fellow man, God, Country, and Civil Air Patrol.

While performing, I stand sharp and crisp; motionless by choice, for I have voluntarily chosen to represent every member, past and present, of the United States Air Force Auxiliary – Civil Air Patrol.

Where's that puking smiley?

alamrcn

Quote from: justin_bailey on June 08, 2007, 03:46:57 PM

I forgot to include this in my original post - it was the first WTF I had...
The oath, or creed, or whatever is Ok with me. But the DISCLAIMER at the bottom that no one is required to memorize it? Was there an issue with another CAP oath? Then to go and list off all the things that the program doesn't discriminate against.... [HUURROK]!

This is a mesage that ISN'T needed! If that statement were not there, it would be Ok to only allow Caucasian heterosexual, Catholic males? I forgot, does it say they don't discriminate against weight or body type? Getting the 290 Lbs, 16 year old linebacker into parade uniform might be a logistical challenge.

BTW, my wing had a disabled (physically challenged, etc) cadet in a wheel chair that was VERY GOOD at adapting his wheel chair situation during drill and ceremonies. He's a Senior Member now in another wing, but he would have fit will into the Honor Guard Academy's program.

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

jimmydeanno

Quote from: shorning on June 08, 2007, 03:54:05 PM

Here's some more:

Just adding to the selection of vomit, I choose to withhold my comments on the CAP Honor Guard program.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SGT Dusty

What I find unacceptable about the whole idea of an Honor Guard Manual is how fast it was put out in relation to how long the program has been in exsistence, when we still don't have an official Encampment Training Manual, merely a draft and wing suplements...seriously what's the deal with that?

alamrcn

Quote from: SSgt Dusty on June 09, 2007, 07:21:12 PM
...when we still don't have an official Encampment Training Manual,

Good point! I'd like to say every wing should carbon California Wing's encampment program, which many already do, but it requires a significant amount of personnel and resources that some wings just don't have.

Maybe it's time to bring back something similar to the Type (Class) A, B & C encampments
of the 80s. Maybe someone should start this discussion in a new topic.

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

BillB

What were the Class A,B & C I forget, but was this it?.
Class A was at an Air Force Base
Class B at a state park or non military location
Class C was the several weekend encampment   
If I remember right. The only thing CAP is missing now is the several weekend encampments.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

SarDragon

Quote from: BillB on June 11, 2007, 11:23:18 PM
What were the Class A,B & C I forget, but was this it?.
Class A was at an Air Force Base
Class B at a state park or non military location
Class C was the several weekend encampment   
If I remember right. The only thing CAP is missing now is the several weekend encampments.
Close.

Class A - a week (or so) long activity, usually at a military base, but not required
Class B - the multiple weekend activity, same location considerations
Class C - never heard of it, don't see it referenced in any of my old cadet program material going back to 1971.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Pylon

I've only ever heard of Encampments that were Type A or Type B.  Never heard of Classes nor a "Type C"

How Dave described it above is how I've always understood it to have been structured.  Perhaps some of the historians on the board can shed additional light on the topic.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

RocketPropelled

Here's where I fell off the CAP HG wagon -- and I was on the CP staff in MDWG when a lot of this gained a big head of steam:

Quote from: CAP Cadet Honor Guard CreedI am a proud member of a Civil Air Patrol Honor Guard.

Emphasis mine.

Versus this:

Quote from: The Actual U.S. Air Force Honor GuardHandpicked to serve as a member of the United States Air Force Honor Guard, my standards of conduct and level of professionalism must be above reproach, for I represent all others in my service.

Others earned the right for me to wear the ceremonial uniform, one that is honored in a rich tradition and history. I will honor their memory by wearing it properly and proudly.

Never will I allow my performance to be dictated by the type of ceremony, severity of the temperature or size of the crowd. I will remain superbly conditioned to perfect all movements throughout every drill and ceremony.

Obligated by my oath, I am constantly driven to excel by a deep devotion to duty and a strong sense of dedication.

Representing every member, past and present, of the United States Air Force, I vow to stand sharp, crisp and motionless, for I am a Ceremonial Guardsman.

Call me silly, but for me, that'll just about cover the fly-bys.

jimmydeanno

I think its funny that the "CAP Honor Guard Uniform" which is only a few years old at this point is "steeped in tradition and history."
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SarDragon

Quote from: Pylon on June 12, 2007, 12:33:19 PM
I've only ever heard of Encampments that were Type A or Type B.  Never heard of Classes nor a "Type C"

How Dave described it above is how I've always understood it to have been structured.  Perhaps some of the historians on the board can shed additional light on the topic.

Oops. I was just following off the OP. "Type" is the proper description.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

LtCol Hooligan

Quote from: alamrcn on June 11, 2007, 07:05:15 PM

Good point! I'd like to say every wing should carbon California Wing's encampment program, which many already do, but it requires a significant amount of personnel and resources that some wings just don't have.

Ace- I think you his this one on the head with the last sentence.  California's program is great for them and for the other wings who use the curriculum, but it is not always practical for all wings.  Although I am not an expert in the California program, I feel that it really takes flexibility from encampments.  If the same, exact program is run year after year, how do you encourage returning cadets to come back and do it again.  Yes, there is staff positions, but not everyone gets one.  The beauty of encampments is the fact that nationals has left the curriculum open so commanders, cadet commanders, and other planners can make changes to it so it can fit the needs of the attendees for that summer.  CAP seems to be cicular where some summers there are very experienced members attending and others, not so experienced members are in attendance and need a lot more focus on the basics.  I also like the fact that we can adjust staffing levels to fit the size of the encampment.  If turn out is smaller- say 50-60 cadets, the commander can adjust while if it's larger, say 100-150 cadets, the commander can the adjust to using the larger encampment formats.  Although I would love to see a better encampment training program put out by NHQ with class outlines and suggestions, I feel flexibility is key and the reason why encampment is so successful.

EL
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

alamrcn

Yah (or is it ya, yea, yeah)...

If national CP is requiring "encampment" attendance, what qualifies as an encampent might be better outlined. I wouldn't even know where to look for what replaced the old "Type" encampments and their required curriculum.

This is hand-me-down knowledge and probably wrong, but I remember the "Type A" encampments being only at USAF bases, and "Type B" encampments were not - nothing about weeks or weekends. Minnesota Wing held a week-long encampment at Camp Riply Army Base in 1991, and it was labeled as "B".

The previous year, I attended the SD Wing Encampment (although essentially a North Central Region encampment) which was HELD at Grand Rapids Army Base. However with almost daily bus trips over to neighboring Ellsworth AFB, they labeled it as Type A... go figure.

Heck, the first National Blue Beret in 1995 held all the "required" classes to qualify it as a Type B encampment - have the signed CAPF2A in my file to prove it! Maybe all the confussion is why we no longer have encampment types.

I must have made up the whole Type C, heh...

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Al Sayre

WIWAC we had what were termed type C's also.  They were always Squadron Level deals where we went out in the everglades for the weekend and practiced our LRRP skills in the name of Emergency Services...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

MIKE

Mike Johnston

BillB

I'm pretty sure you are correct in that a type A encampment had to be on an Air Force Base
The Type B at any other military post
and the type C was a three or four weekend activity.

Anyone have the 1950's or 60's CAPM 50-16?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

majdomke

I only wish the manual had more photos or diagrams about what they are talking about. Especially the rifle section, its like reading an instruction manual for assembling a rocket. Lots of words left to the imagination on what they heck they mean.