GES question for scholarship

Started by flynnst, December 31, 2016, 03:15:32 AM

flynnst

I'm applying for a scholarship through CAP and eServices is auto filling "two or more ratings" for this question:

Emergency Services: What is your highest rating in emergency services?
None
General ES Qualified
Any One Rating
Two or More Ratings

I have general GES, IS100, IS700 and ICUT completed.  I am a GTM3 trainee and have 22 tasks done.  Later on the same page, the form asks this question:

Do you have an Emergency Services Rating beyond the General Emergency Services (GES) rating?
Yes
No

I think the answer is no, but why does it auto fill two or more ratings above?  Are the IS courses considered a "rating"?

Eclipse

Quote from: flynnst on December 31, 2016, 03:15:32 AM
I think the answer is no, but why does it auto fill two or more ratings above?  Are the IS courses considered a "rating"?

Correct - your answer is "no".

IS courses are not "ratings", they are generally prerequisites to other training, or encompass a part
of the total expectations.

"That Others May Zoom"

flynnst

Is it possible eServices is pre-filling an incorrect response?  All of the other fields are correct.  I don't want to submit false information and the application is due tomorrow, so can't have someone ask Hqs. 

SarDragon

Can you change the selection to 'GES only'?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spam

FYI, the deadline has been extended.
Advise taking the time to make it a quality product.

From an email today (FRI30DEC16) from Wendy Hamilton at NHQ/CP:
"Since National Headquarters will be closed through 2 Jan, we will accept scholarship applications until 11:59 PM CST on 5 January, in case someone has difficulties loading documents.  Please do NOT WAIT until the 5th to try uploading your documents. I will check email periodically through the weekend to address any problems"

V/r
Spam

Eclipse

Quote from: flynnst on December 31, 2016, 04:42:05 AM
Is it possible eServices is pre-filling an incorrect response?  All of the other fields are correct.  I don't want to submit false information and the application is due tomorrow, so can't have someone ask Hqs.

What kind of scholarship is this?  Does it require two ES ratings?

"That Others May Zoom"

flynnst

Thank you for the responses.  I can change the selection to GES only, but would like to give myself the best shot possible and am not sure why it prefills two. 

As I said, all the other pre-fills are accurate and this is my first time using this online application.  Two aren't required, but additional points are awarded if I have two or more.

Thanks also for the info about the extension. 

arajca

I think (yeah, I know bad habit) that since IS100 & 700 have their own 'SQTR' to enter their completion, the system is counting them as ES ratings. After all, you get a rating when you complete a SQTR.

flynnst

I wonder if I should just leave it as it is then with two selected.  A little confusing ...

This is a flight scholarship and pretty competitive.

Spam

The app is a bit wonky (I have a C/Captain for whom the system is not allowing him to enter his grade, for example). On a blank (new) application, it comes up auto filled to "two or more" for every applicant. This is not an auto fill based on your specific qualifications, or lack thereof. You can (and should) select "General ES Qualified" before submitting. Do not leave it as is.

On the right hand column, you should select "no" to the second question ("*Do you have an Emergency Services Rating beyond the General Emergency Services (GES) rating?").

Be sure you have the "Flight Plan" and other attachments loaded; that's a significant element. I've seen a couple applicants who neglected to do a good job on them, thinking they could coast through on being a cadet officer (not). The resume, for example, is your opening to show the selection team your all-around qualities beyond the point scoring from the check boxes. Be more than a number, in essence.  ("I am not a number; I am a free man!").

Best of luck to you - come back eventually and let us know if you got an award!
Spam

flynnst

Ok then - makes sense. General ES Qualified is what I thought should be selected, before I second guessed it. Thank you all for your time and advice!