Wisconsin Air Academy

Started by Pylon, May 29, 2007, 11:17:16 PM

Pylon

So I've been quite curious about the Wisconsin Air Academy and how it operates.  I know from previous discussions here that it is founded as a charter school that involves the CAP Cadet Program. 

I'm curious on many things (big surprise?).  For example, are all the teachers CAP members?  And do they wear uniforms?  How about the students?  Do they become CAP cadets when enrolling in the school?

Is it CAP all the time, since it's a boarding school?  For example, after classes are finished for the day, do cadets wear uniforms and adhere to customs and courtesies?  What about on the weekends, or are the weekends structured as well?

It sounds like a very cool concept.  I gleaned from the website that the school's facilities under construction include an aeronautics lab and other cool features.  Are there classes specific on aviation and aerospace, as part of the standard curriculum?   Are these extra/electives or worked in as part of the science curriculum for the state?

Is the funding primarily through client fees and state funding as a charter school, or do additional grants help out with construction and/or salaries and overhead or special projects?

Sounds like it could be a pretty cool implementation of the CAP Cadet Program and I'm just naturally curious! 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

aircad

Well all the teachers are Wisconsin State Certified.  They will be required to become SM They will wear a uniform once they are accepted and qualified as SM. Some are already SM's. in CAP.
All cadets enrolled including day students will become CAP. in fact if they are analytical they can not attend as our day school program requires this.
All Cadets will wear the CAP uniform.
All academic curriculum is such that day students as well as boarders will have opportunity to attend classes of CAP.
Once we are open for business, and have 8 SM's along with enrolled cadets we will become a composite squadron and as such, will open our facility one night a week for other than enrolled cadets to participate in the CAP programs.

The weekends are structured for those who have academic issues and or disciplines. the ones that don't are free to go home supplied by our transportation system with in the designated areas.

We will provide the three missions of CAP and have classes and LABS along with instructional programs to mentor/shadow the cadets for promotions and accomplishments as per the CAP program guidelines.
We will have two flight simulators and there is an air field just minutes away that we will occupy space at for the other instructional opportunities that cadets can participate in.

All Classes that are CAP required will be kept to CAP instructional format and not incorporated into existing middleschool or high school subjects.

Presently, I am funding this on my own. and after we open our school in hopefully Sept. I will then be available for other grants and financing options. presently I am looking for private investors to share in the up front costs that are traditional for start-up. The investors I need is for minimum funding at this point but offer a return for their investment.

The program is very unique and beneficial for cadets in all different phases of life. It was very successful in the past. I intend to improve on it.
Presently the final rounds of closure are occurring with the State CAP group as well as National.  Once that is finalized I will update you.

aircad

Please note that I used the word analytical it should read ineligible

CaptCFI

There is not alot of information available on the new "Wisconsin Air Academy".  From visible pictures, it seems as though the cadets are wearing CAP Insignia and CAP Ribbons with a WAA nametag, a corporate shirt, and blues pants/skirt/belt.  Does this fit within the confines of CAP Regulations?  If they are going to use CAP to promote their program as they have thus far, they should be much more open about policies of supervision and their relationship to CAP.  Can anyone provide insight?
My soul is in the sky.

— William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream,' Act V. Scene I.

caprr275

looking at the website and also requesting information from the school I have found out nothing new. Looking at facebook profiles of some of the WAA members shows that they are in fact now wearing the corporate uniforms. While they do not look bad pre say there is no reg or national program that I can find anywhere on the cap website or the WAA site that allows them to do this.

The idea of the school is a great one I just have worries about the implementation and regs