cadet commander

Started by smilindrew, November 19, 2013, 11:33:19 PM

smilindrew

who appoints the cadet commander?

SARDOC

Storm Chaser

Or the Deputy Commander for Cadets in a composite squadron, if such authority has been delegated by the squadron commander.

smilindrew

Should there be a board or is that the sole decision of the commander?

SARDOC

It's ultimately up to the Squadron Commander.  If they want to have a board or delegate that authority it always comes from the Squadron Commander.  If the Squadron Commander determined that they want people to draw straws or a paint by numbers contest.  It's ultimately the decision of the Squadron Commander.

Some Squadrons have promotion boards and some don't.  There is more then one way to crack that nut.  Ask your Squadron Commander via your chain of command how the process is handled or suggestions if you want to change your squadrons process.

Flying Pig

Quote from: smilindrew on November 19, 2013, 11:41:49 PM

Completely up to the Squadron Commander.  When I was the Sq Commander, it was really whoever the Deputy Commander for Cadets told me he wanted.  In my 20 some years in CAP to include 6 as a cadet, it was never a big mystery who the next cadet commander was going to be.

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Panache

Quote from: lordmonar on November 20, 2013, 02:13:45 AM
I was always partial to this method

Yeah, but it only works every seven years or so.

Eclipse

And it's near impossible to get Tri-Ox on the open market these days...

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Quote from: smilindrew on November 19, 2013, 11:33:19 PMwho appoints the cadet commander?
Ultimately, you do, as Unit Commander, or you might have your Deputy Commander for Cadets make a recommendation, but it's your signature on the PA.

Private Investigator

Quote from: Flying Pig on November 20, 2013, 12:41:52 AM

Completely up to the Squadron Commander.  When I was the Sq Commander, it was really whoever the Deputy Commander for Cadets told me he wanted.  In my 20 some years in CAP to include 6 as a cadet, it was never a big mystery who the next cadet commander was going to be.

99% it should be obvious. One occassion in a Squadron, not so far distant from Mayberry, a parent became the Squadron Commander since nobody wanted to do it and guess who became the Cadet Commander? And of course it only gets crazier. In little league the manager can put his kid in any position but CAP is very different, extremly different.   8)

Offutteer

I'd recommend using the Cadet Staff Handbook, which explains how to select a staff.  It's available in the resource library portion of the cadet programs web site, www.capmembers.com/library

Storm Chaser

Quote from: a2capt on November 20, 2013, 07:06:10 AM
Quote from: smilindrew on November 19, 2013, 11:33:19 PMwho appoints the cadet commander?
Ultimately, you do, as Unit Commander, or you might have your Deputy Commander for Cadets make a recommendation, but it's your signature on the PA.

A Personnel Authorization (PA) is no longer required, as both the squadron commander and deputy commander for cadets can make cadet staff duty appointments in eServices now.

a2capt

Be it as it may, my comment encompasses however that appointment is recorded.
Signature, button press, what have you.