New to cadet staff, any helpful advice?

Started by pilot97, February 08, 2012, 02:06:40 AM

pilot97

I have recently been promoted to assistant flight sergeant and I was wondering if those experienced in being in a cadet staff position have any helpful advice to give?  ::)

Thanks!  :)

C/TSgt.
C/MSgt.

Extremepredjudice

First thing is you should ask someone in your squadron.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

HGjunkie

Check out CAPP 52-14 for a rough guide.

Ask your staff for any and all advice, that's what they're there for.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

pilot97

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on February 08, 2012, 02:45:27 AM

No offence Extreme Prejudice, but you don't have a staff position.
C/MSgt.

pilot97

Quote from: pilot97 on February 14, 2012, 04:43:39 AM
Quote from: Extremepredjudice on February 08, 2012, 02:45:27 AM

No offence Extreme Prejudice, but you don't have a staff position.

But thankyou  for the advice anyways. :)

C/TSgt.
C/MSgt.

a2capt

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on February 08, 2012, 02:45:27 AMFirst thing is you should ask someone in your squadron.
Maybe.. just maybe .. It's a growing unit, there's never been position X before, maybe the question was posed to get some/multiple *additional* and varied viewpoints ..

GTCommando

Assistant Flight Sergeant. I'm assuming you're training to take charge of a flight in the near future. Here's some basic tips for new staff members:

1.  Know your core subjects. As the first person the cadets will ask for advice and instruction, you have to strive for excellence in drill, PT, wear of the Uniform, customs and courtesies, etc.

2.  Get to know your Chain of Command. You'll be interacting with these folks plenty in the next few months (or however long you're on staff), so it won't hurt to develop good working relationships with them.

3.  Watch and Listen. A smart man learns from his mistakes. A wise man learns from the mistakes of others. Are you going to make mistakes? Guaranteed, but the CAP Core Value of Excellence mandates you to constantly seek ways to improve yourself and your squadron.

4.  Be willing to work with people. Here's something I see lacking all too often in new staff members, especially as they start to advance. Conflict always falls into one of two categories: Matters of principle, and matters of style. The faster you learn how to tell the difference, the better. If you're willing to compromise and work with people on the little things, you boost your credibility and they'll be more willing to work with you on the big things later on.

That's all I've got tonight. If you have any questions or need some advice, feel free to PM me. I've trained squadron cadet staff from element leaders all the way up to cadet executive staff for the past two years. Odds are if there's an issue or question, I can answer it or I know someone who can.

Respectfully,
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: a2capt on February 14, 2012, 04:51:44 AM
Quote from: Extremepredjudice on February 08, 2012, 02:45:27 AMFirst thing is you should ask someone in your squadron.
Maybe.. just maybe .. It's a growing unit, there's never been position X before, maybe the question was posed to get some/multiple *additional* and varied viewpoints ..
I'm in the same squadron as the OP.

Pilot pay close attention to 1 and 4.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

a2capt

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on February 14, 2012, 06:20:16 AMPilot pay close attention to 1 and 4.
Posts 1 and 4 don't tell me much of anything other than he says you are not on staff. He could know this ... because you could be in units near each other, could have had PM's, could have met at some activity, could have ... LOTS OF THINGS.

* a2capt thinks some cadets are getting a bit bold in their actions and reactions.

If that's how you do it at your unit, well then..

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: a2capt on February 14, 2012, 06:49:53 AM
Quote from: Extremepredjudice on February 14, 2012, 06:20:16 AMPilot pay close attention to 1 and 4.
Posts 1 and 4 don't tell me much of anything other than he says you are not on staff. He could know this ... because you could be in units near each other, could have had PM's, could have met at some activity, could have ... LOTS OF THINGS.

* a2capt thinks some cadets are getting a bit bold in their actions and reactions.

If that's how you do it at your unit, well then..
I meant for pilot, the OP, to pay attention to GTCommando's post. Number 1 and number 4

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

pilot97

You are partially right. It is definately a growing squadron. That is what I meant. Thankyou.
C/MSgt.

pilot97

Quote from: GTCommando on February 14, 2012, 05:11:30 AM
Assistant Flight Sergeant. I'm assuming you're training to take charge of a flight in the near future. Here's some basic tips for new staff members:

1.  Know your core subjects. As the first person the cadets will ask for advice and instruction, you have to strive for excellence in drill, PT, wear of the Uniform, customs and courtesies, etc.

2.  Get to know your Chain of Command. You'll be interacting with these folks plenty in the next few months (or however long you're on staff), so it won't hurt to develop good working relationships with them.

3.  Watch and Listen. A smart man learns from his mistakes. A wise man learns from the mistakes of others. Are you going to make mistakes? Guaranteed, but the CAP Core Value of Excellence mandates you to constantly seek ways to improve yourself and your squadron.

4.  Be willing to work with people. Here's something I see lacking all too often in new staff members, especially as they start to advance. Conflict always falls into one of two categories: Matters of principle, and matters of style. The faster you learn how to tell the difference, the better. If you're willing to compromise and work with people on the little things, you boost your credibility and they'll be more willing to work with you on the big things later on.

That's all I've got tonight. If you have any questions or need some advice, feel free to PM me. I've trained squadron cadet staff from element leaders all the way up to cadet executive staff for the past two years. Odds are if there's an issue or question, I can answer it or I know someone who can.

Respectfully,

Thankyou very much. Your input is extremely helpful.  :)
C/MSgt.

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: pilot97 on February 14, 2012, 07:49:14 PM

You are partially right. It is definately a growing squadron. That is what I meant. Thankyou.
It is a growing squadron, but we've had at least one flight sergeant for at least a year and a half. (probably longer)

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

GTRanger

What I am about to say, is something that will help you out for the rest of your life, no matter what position you have. NEVER ASSUME THE CHAIN OF COMMAND WILL WORK ON ITS OWN. Or even work most of the time, for that matter. Never be afraid to double check and triple check something before doing it, because they guy above you, probably didn't check with his superviser.

"These things we do, that others may live." -USAF Pararescue and Ranger Motto

davidsinn

Quote from: GTRanger on February 18, 2012, 03:17:09 AM
What I am about to say, is something that will help you out for the rest of your life, no matter what position you have. NEVER ASSUME THE CHAIN OF COMMAND WILL WORK ON ITS OWN. Or even work most of the time, for that matter. Never be afraid to double check and triple check something before doing it, because they guy above you, probably didn't check with his superviser.

That's actually poor advice. If my cadet commander went to the commander every time I gave her instructions, I would replace her PDQ. If her flight Sgt came to me every time she gave him instructions, I'd let her rip him a new orifice.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

a2capt

GTRanger

Quote from: davidsinn on February 18, 2012, 05:13:12 AM

That's actually poor advice. If my cadet commander went to the commander every time I gave her instructions, I would replace her PDQ. If her flight Sgt came to me every time she gave him instructions, I'd let her rip him a new orifice.

I meant for major things, you arent going to double check with your superviser over everything of course.  A lot of times there is a break down in the chain, and it is the responsibility of leaders to fix these break downs.

davidsinn

Quote from: GTRanger on February 19, 2012, 05:04:03 PM

I meant for major things, you arent going to double check with your superviser over everything of course.  A lot of times there is a break down in the chain, and it is the responsibility of leaders to fix these break downs.

I feel sorry for you if your unit is that screwed up. The simple fact is: a subordinate is not supposed to go around the leader unless it is a) dangerous or b) violates regs.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

GTRanger

Quote from: davidsinn on February 19, 2012, 07:06:35 PM
Quote from: GTRanger on February 19, 2012, 05:04:03 PM

I feel sorry for you if your unit is that screwed up. The simple fact is: a subordinate is not supposed to go around the leader unless it is a) dangerous or b) violates regs.
The experiences i alluded to happened to me many moons ago, if you will, but in a different squadron than the one I am at now. You are 100% right. A subbordinate should not have two double check anything with a superior, if he is authorized to do something. This would be a perfect chain of command, which sadly doesn't always exist. Depending on the situation though, one should never assume anything. I am simply trying to share the advice that i've been taught by experience to the cadet who started this thread, and asked for advice.

On another note, I am not saying "go around" anyone. I think you missunderstood me. The internet seems to do that sometimes, a person says one thing and it is taken differently by someone else.  I have found it useful in the past to just check with the guy who gave me the order or OKed me to do something, and see if he went the next step up. This way, you dont end up responsible for anything that wasnt sent through the chain. No going around anyone, no stepping on toes, just checking with the guy above you, to see if he went the next step up, before you go forward with something. Its called dotting your i's and crossing your t's.

-editted for clarity

davidsinn

Quote from: GTRanger on February 19, 2012, 07:29:19 PM
I have found it useful in the past to just check with the guy who gave me the order or OKed me to do something,

This is good. Always clarify and instruction to make sure you do it right.

Quoteand see if he went the next step up.

Not your problem. If you follow a lawful order you are not responsible if the guy giving it to you shouldn't have. That's on him, not you.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn