PT Test Requirements

Started by silentstrike, April 09, 2011, 08:21:51 PM

silentstrike

I am cadet commander of a squadron that has recently lost its ability to administer the shuttle run due to the orders of the squadron commander.  A few weeks prior a cadet had a minor tear in the knee from the shuttle run so our squadron commander used it as justification to not conduct it anymore.  I have tried to give reason to bring it back but he insists that we not do it anymore despite it being a part of the CPFT.  I know that many of my cadets and myself included utilize the shuttle run a lot if we did not pass the mile.  I feel it is a great disadvantage to the cadets as they lose the ability to have an alternative event if their mile is not terrific.  I see it as if the push up event was taken out and cadets were forced to pass the sit and reach even if they were not flexible enough.

My questions are: Is the shuttle run required to be administered as an alternative to the mile run?  Also, is the squadron commander allowed to drop an event from the CPFT because of an injury that can equally take place anywhere else?  And if he is not able to is there some place in the regulations that I can point out to bring our CPFT program back up to speed. 

Any advice concerning the PT program or the situation would be greatly appreciated.

jks19714

First of all, I am new to CAP and (standard engineer's disclaimer) I Am Not A Lawyer.  As a quantitative kind of guy, I'm relying on common sense, not case law.  ::)

From CAPP 52-18, page 21:

Test requirements are specified by CAPR 52-16, Cadet Program Management; compliance with these instructions is mandatory.

and further down the page:

The Mile Run or Shuttle Run tests heart and lung endurance. Cadets may choose to test in either or
both events. If they fail the mile, they may then attempt the shuttle run instead, or vice versa. In
inclement weather, commanders may stipulate that only the shuttle run be administered.

I saw a disclaimer that commanders may request a waiver/change to NHQ through Wing.

On the other hand, bucking the squadron CC is probably not a career-building move.  I suppose you could always complain to the IG, but I would have to have pretty strong feelings about an issue before I would do it.

I have to admit that it is my opinion that we as a society have become a little too protective at times.  When I was a kid, trips to the doctor for recreational accidents weren't accompanied by nearly as much drama.  Probably because we were more worried about Mr Khrushchev dropping the big one on us as opposed to falling off the swing set at recess.
Diamond Flight 88
W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL
Assistant Wing Communications Engineer

a2capt

If we stopped whatever activity each time a kid tore, sprained, scratched, dislocated, broke, or just plain overworked something ....

The program would be about as exciting as coming and wrapping yourself in bubble wrap (with an air tube, of course) and going into an empty room with padded walls where the instruction came from monitors and overhead speakers.

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: a2capt on April 10, 2011, 01:45:45 AM
If we stopped whatever activity each time a kid tore, sprained, scratched, dislocated, broke, or just plain overworked something ....

The program would be about as exciting as coming and wrapping yourself in bubble wrap (with an air tube, of course) and going into an empty room with padded walls where the instruction came from monitors and overhead speakers.

Better watch it... one of those monitors could fall and hurt a cadet. :o

Hawk200

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on April 10, 2011, 02:09:58 AM
Quote from: a2capt on April 10, 2011, 01:45:45 AM

Better watch it... one of those monitors could fall and hurt a cadet. :o
Or the speakers might be too loud, causing hearing loss.