Cadet heading to Naval Academy!

Started by Walkman, March 30, 2009, 03:04:15 PM

Walkman

Our cadet commander just got an appointment to Annapolis. He also got a front page spot in today's local paper:

http://hjnews.townnews.com/articles/2009/03/30/news/news01-03-30-09.txt

DBlair

Oooh-Rah!

Congrats and Best Wishes to him!

(fellow Marine Officer Candidate)
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

CAPTShaw

CONGRATS!!!

Our former CC is at the Air Force Academy and so is another young man I coached in Soccer from my home town.

Capt David Shaw, CAP SQ 606
Founder
Greene County Composite Squadron 606 (12JAN17)

Gunner C

DBlair

caprr275

There is a MIWG and an OHWG cadet also attending the naval accademy next year

Hoorah

Quote from: caprr275 on March 31, 2009, 04:43:00 AM
There is a MIWG and an OHWG cadet also attending the naval accademy next year
What cadet in ohio?

es_g0d

As a matter of alma mater, I must interject:

GO AIR FORCE, BEAT NAVY!

Just the same, congratulations to all service academy appointees.  I'm afraid I'll never understand why those Navel Warfare people are so obsessed with belly buttons, however.

:D  Good luck, cadets and mids!
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

PaulR

Senior

Isn't the USMC still a part of the Dept of the Navy.  ::) :P :-*
GO ARMY!  BEAT NAVY!
About the Air Force.... AIM HIGH?  I think you miss if you AIM HIGH!!!! ;) :D

Congradulations to the cadet on his appointment.

GO ARTILLERY!  Things that go boom... priceless.

Senior

Whoops, it should be "Congratulations" I got excited about things that go
BOOM!

Rob Sherlin

I never understood why people join an Air Force affiliated program (CAP, AFJROTC, etc. ), then join another branch of service other than the Air Force (or visa versa).

Congrats to the cadet!...No matter what your choice is!
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

Pylon

Quote from: Rob Sherlin on April 02, 2009, 03:30:49 PM
I never understood why people join an Air Force affiliated program (CAP, AFJROTC, etc. ), then join another branch of service other than the Air Force.

Congrats to the cadet!...No matter what your choice is!

Because Civil Air Patrol, as a community-based cadet program, is often the only one available in the area; because we develop leadership skills and focus on aerospace education (so particularly more valuable for cadets who might want to fly Army or "aviate" for the Navy or Corps); because the skills built in our program are valuable no matter which branch (or which civilian career track, for that matter) matches your interest; because this is America.  ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Flying Pig

I spent 6 years as a cadet and joined the Marines.  It has nothing to do with what uniform the cadet wears.  CAP by far gave the most benefit of any other program out there.

DBlair

Quote from: Senior on April 02, 2009, 02:43:17 PM
Isn't the USMC still a part of the Dept of the Navy.  ::) :P :-*

Yes, its the Men's Department.  ;D

As for why someone would be a Cadet in an AF-based program and then join a different branch, I think there are a few factors involved here. First of all, there often aren't other programs available. The "Young Marines" and "Sea Cadets" aren't really as prevalent as are CAP units. Likewise, many schools (especially private schools) don't have JROTC programs.

The CAP Cadet Program teaches leadership, discipline, an introduction to the military in general, and a long list of other benefits that are applicable no matter which branch they choose to join- or even if they choose to remain a civilian. The CP essentially gives them an intro and a leg up in so many areas of the military, regardless of branch and is extremely valuable.

I'm currently a Marine Corps Officer Candidate and I must say that I've seen other Candidates (without any such previous experience) struggle to grasp certain ideas and concepts that for me are generally second nature as a result of my time in the Cadet Program. Be it uniforms, drill, discipline, leadership, military structure/organization, or almost any other area, I find that my time as a Cadet is proving to be extremely valuable.

With this all being said, I congratulate all Cadets who join the military- be it the enlisted route, appointments to service academies, or other officer programs. They all truly deserve our applause, regardless of branch or career path.

Senior

If USMC is the men's dept in the Navy, SO what does that mean for the rest of the NAVY???? :o ;D :D ;)

Cecil DP

Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

SarDragon

Quote from: Rob Sherlin on April 02, 2009, 03:30:49 PM
I never understood why people join an Air Force affiliated program (CAP, AFJROTC, etc. ), then join another branch of service other than the Air Force (or visa versa).

It was an easy choice for me. The draft was after me, and I shopped all the services. The Navy gave me the best deal - E-2 and a guaranteed aviation tech school.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Hoorah

Quote from: caprr275 on March 31, 2009, 10:42:32 PM
C/Lt Col Joe Hardy
I have never met him but i will see him this sat because ohio has a wing comp.
He will be at ohio encampment also. i have friends who know him.