The Best of Squadron Patches

Started by Pylon, January 09, 2006, 08:41:09 PM

ddelaney103

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on March 17, 2008, 07:08:08 AM
Quote from: Sarge on March 16, 2008, 12:20:56 AM
Here is our new Sq patch...

Looks awesome but blimey, good luck getting that detail onto thread...

That's a big problem with CAP and military patches nowadays - they tend to be designed more for computer wallpaper than something made of thread and fabric.

Sarge

Thanks, actually we got the proof patch back from our friends at Vanguard and lo and behold, the detail looks great! We too were concerned about this, but it looks great! Give 'em a try!
Sarge

Brad

Here's my Squadron's:

Also, just to up the geek factor, here's the blazon, I think I got it right...

Azure a bordure Or, on a propeller Gules on an eagle rising proper on a hurt on wings displayed and elevated proper on numerals "020" Argent on a state Azure a bordure Argent, letters "CAP" to chief Gules. Motto "Florence Composite Squadron" in Compartment to Base shield Gules
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

winterg

Rock County Composite Squadron. GLR-WI-008

CBidlow

C/CMSgt Cody C. Bidlow
Santa Barbara Composite Squadron 131
CA240 Group 4

mmouw

Does anyone have a clue or insight into typing the squadron name in the lower portion of the traditional shield? I am using photoshop and can't figure it out. Please help!!
Mike Mouw
Commander, Iowa Wing

RickFranz

Quote from: mmouw on April 16, 2008, 10:42:47 PM
Does anyone have a clue or insight into typing the squadron name in the lower portion of the traditional shield? I am using photoshop and can't figure it out. Please help!!

I used a paint product by adobe that let's you type the letter and then turn it.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

davidsinn

The text function has a curve utility on the top toolbar.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Pylon

Adobe Illustrator has the "text on a path" tool.  You simply draw the arc on which you want the text to follow, specify the starting, center and ending points of the text on the path, and type away.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

^^ Which is usually good to a certain extent, but you'll generally have to futz with it, including possibly breaking the text into multiple pieces to get it right - this is usually why
letters on patches aren't shaped right, because people realize how much work its going to be.

However the difference is worth the effort.

"That Others May Zoom"

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: Eclipse on April 17, 2008, 02:43:32 PM
^^ Which is usually good to a certain extent, but you'll generally have to futz with it, including possibly breaking the text into multiple pieces to get it right - this is usually why
letters on patches aren't shaped right, because people realize how much work its going to be.

However the difference is worth the effort.

Sounds like the solution is converting text to paths (this is in Illustrator -- I'd never use Photoshop for scalable images), then skewing individual letters to conform to the desired shape. (Once you have the type on the emblem, are you really going to need to edit it again?)

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

sarflyer

Lt. Col. Paul F. Rowen, CAP
MAWG Director of Information Technology
NESA Webmaster
paul.rowen@mawg.cap.gov

Shotgun

Just thought I'd include an image of our new patch.

Our unit recently completed a squadron identity change - new name, motto, patch.

The cadets initiated the process and the project was overseen by the PAO (myself).

Heraldry of the Patch:

The Olive Branch Composite Squadron consists of a round disc with upper and lower rockers.

The upper rocker contains the Latin text of our Squadron motto: "Primoris in Divum Primoris Humi." When translated to English - "First in the Air, First on the Ground."  The motto has dual significance in our goals of being the first organization to respond in times of need and the effort to strive for excellence in all that we do.

The lower rocker contains the text of our Squadron name: Olive Branch Composite Sqdrn.

The disc contains the image of an ascending white dove carrying a brown and green olive branch on a ultramarine blue field with yellow borders. The blue represents "the sky", the primary theater of Civil Air Patrol operations, while the yello represents "the sun" and the excellence required of Squadron personnel. Together the inclusion of those colors indicates the status of the unit as part of the U.S. Air Force's Auxilliary.

The ascending white dove is the wayfarer of the sky, a being who though belongs to the earth is capable of dwelling in the sky. It symbolizes the individual Officers and Cadets of the unit and their peaceful connection to aviation. The dove's ascending orientation reresents the member's efforts to rise and excel in everthything they do.

The Olive Branch carried by the dove represents the city in in which the Squadron is based, Olive Branch, MS, and dually symbolizes the units peaceful mission.

Above the dove are three red stars. These stars represent the three missions of the Civil Air Patrol; Emergency Services, Cadet Programs, and Aerospace Education with the color indicating the unit's zeal in perfoming them.

We should have the finished product in hand in about two weeks.

Pylon

Awesome work on the Olive Branch Comp. Sq. patch!   :clap:

It follows all of the AF rules on heraldry.  It's crisp, clean artwork and looks great!  Nice work!  :)

Out of sheer curiosity, what was the impetus for updating your squadron's identity?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Shotgun

Quote from: Pylon on May 07, 2008, 03:18:25 PM
Awesome work on the Olive Branch Comp. Sq. patch!   :clap:

It follows all of the AF rules on heraldry.  It's crisp, clean artwork and looks great!  Nice work!  :)

Out of sheer curiosity, what was the impetus for updating your squadron's identity?

Thanks!

The only compromise we really had to make was the Latin Text. I really wanted to use the English Translation (as preferred by USAF), but it didn't fit on the rocker. To many letters.  I was able to justify it it to myself for a couple of reasons.  The first is that it is a conversation starter.

The second is that we want to start some sort of tradition on how the Patch is awarded/given to Cadets.
You know - sort of how cub scouts used to be held upside down when they earned their first badge. Or how a mother usually puts on a new pilots first pair of wings.  Having them learn/recite/quote the translation can be part of that tradition. (Any suggestions on traditions or methods for "awarding" patches to new members?)

As far as the new Squadron Identity is concerned it really came out my role as the PA Officer. I'm a fairly new CAP member (May 31 will be my 1 year of service anniversary) and like many new members was pretty Gung Ho!   I chose IT as my specialty Track and first thing I did was put up a new squadron website (http://www.olivebranchcap.org) I started posting squadron news items on the site and as a result was also offered (i.e. told to take) the open position of PAO by our commander.

The Cadets had been trying to come up with a mascot/patch/motto for awhile and weren't doing to well. While made in good faith, all of their ideas were either rip-offs of existing mascots or weren't quite appropriate for a CAP squadron (Death headed Jokers / Dice / Devils/ etc.)

So I volunteered to lead the effort.

At the time we really didn't have any squadron identity except our name - North Mississippi Composite Squadron (which as you can see is pretty boring.) So I wrote up a proposal on the steps we would take to spruce up our corporate image and it was approved by our Commander.

First thing we did was the name change. We first looked at possibly taking on the name of a past member or historical mississippi aviator, but really couldn't find anyone really deserving. We then thought of taking on the name of a Mascot or Symbol (i.e.   The Bol Weevil Squadron,  The Cotton Picking Compoiste Squadron, etc.)  but couldn't really find anything "cool" that we all agreed on. So as a result we simply chose the city in which we are based - Olive Branch, MS.

We wanted to become more involved at the community level and thought identifying ourselves with the city in which we are based made sense.

After we had a new name we could then work on the patch and the motto. We could encorporate our new name into the theme and design elements.

We still don't have a real mascot that has stuck.   The cadets are using "Raptors" but it really doesn't "connect" in a meaningful way.

Now that we have the Patch / Logo done we can start plastering it everywhere - letterhead, website, t-shirts, hats, etc.

It's only taken about 8 months! - But then that seems pretty normal for CAP!

:)

ddelaney103

The OBCS patch is very nice - not only are the colors and shape distinctive, you avoided a lot of the pitfalls of patch design, such as putting too many things on the patch or the need to put CAP or your charter number.

Nice work!

Duke Dillio

Love the patch.  Great job there.

As for mascots, how about "The White Doves" or "The Green Olives?"

As for things for your cadets to earn the patch, you could always "Koala-fy" them.  What you do is find a nice tree with a good size low branch.....

Oooo, donuts....

Eclipse

Quote from: pkloehn on May 07, 2008, 02:50:12 PM
Just thought I'd include an image of our new patch.

Our unit recently completed a squadron identity change - new name, motto, patch.

The cadets initiated the process and the project was overseen by the PAO (myself).

Heraldry of the Patch:

Beautiful job, one of the most original I've seen in a while - wish I could have been more help but life got in the way...

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

My unit currently awards the unit patch to cadets when they complete their Curry. They are pinned, receive their ribbon and the patch at the monthly awards ceremony. For seniors, they earn the patch by completing level 1 and enrolling in a specialty track. It is presented at the same ceremony along with their membership ribbon (we gotta find a better name for it).

Duke Dillio

How about the "Came And Paid Ribbon?"  Is that catchier than the "Membership Ribbon?"   >:D