The speed of human advancement

Started by Spike, February 06, 2010, 04:18:43 PM

Spike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL9Wu2kWwSY

This was played at Sony's annual shareholders meeting.  It is rather amazing.

Because this has a somewhat vague relation to everyone one of us, I hope it is OK to post. 

Gunner C

Here's what I get from it:  The paradigm of today will begin to change before tomorrow gets here.  If a person, product, or organization (read: CAP) is using yesterday's or even yesteryear's way of doing things, it will be left in the dust of history.

CAP is using the paradigm of the 1960s, updated slightly in the 70s, 80s, and 90s.  If we don't change, we'll be in the dust bin of history.  With our 70+ member governing board, I don't see how we can keep up.  We're about as nimble as an elephant with a sore toe.

Major Carrales

What it means is that parents that yell at the teachers and schools when their child is failing is truant and find no fault in their irreverent, profanity spouting and chemically dependent children need to change their paradigm.

It tells me that we need to change our paradigm where people "worship" the ignorant.  We need to build a world where a "working man/woman" is a hero and a "pimp gangsta" is villian. 

People need to stop talking to kids with "baby talk" and start teaching them.

It means you don't drop off your child at school to be babysat.

It means you actually start building the society, instead of simply riding the wave of previous generations.

That is what it means to me.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Pumbaa

James Shaw

It also means that some parents need to take on the responsibility of parenting. They need to quit blaming everyone else for their kids problems and look at how they got there. They need to model the behavior they want their kids to do, instead of expecting more from them than they do themselves.

I have a friend who is a Doctor (oncologist), his kids take class at the martial arts school I teach at. He is from India. He is one of the most down to earth doctors you could ever meet. One of the reasons he selected the school was because the instructors will only teach the techniques they can model themselves. This man makes $968K a year. He lives in a modest home and invests his money in his kids education instead of keeping up with the "joneses".

People need to expect more of themselves before expecting more from others. It doesnt usually work out like that.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Spike

^ Oncologists are a little different than your "everyday physician".  My Neighbor is an ONC and he lives modestly.  He explained to me one day while snowblowing my driveway that "he sees people who had dreams and hopes and desires, who spent their entire lives competing with the world, end up being brought down by their own body", and he would rather live a happy live than a wealthy life.

Eclipse

Quote from: caphistorian on February 08, 2010, 12:21:12 PMThis man makes $968K a year. He lives in a modest home and invests his money in his kids education instead of keeping up with the "joneses".

I agree with the sentiment, but at $1M a year, most people should be able to do both...

"That Others May Zoom"

Spike

Quote from: Eclipse on February 08, 2010, 05:34:51 PM
Quote from: caphistorian on February 08, 2010, 12:21:12 PMThis man makes $968K a year. He lives in a modest home and invests his money in his kids education instead of keeping up with the "joneses".

I agree with the sentiment, but at $1M a year, most people should be able to do both...

Take out taxes, then add in the number of kids he has going to private school.  Schooling is expensive if you want to send you kids to private institutions.  Some are more expensive than College.  I am sure he as bills.  Malpractice, cost of living etc. 

1 Million dollars is NOT what it used to be.  The Federal Government taxes people making over $250,000 heavier than those under that limit. 

It is like winning the State Lottery.  You may get the "BIG Check" for 1 Million, but after taxes and lawyer fees you get about $350,000!

Eclipse

OK...my apologies...we should all text..."boohoo" to 0U812 and contribute $10 to this poor man...   ::)

"That Others May Zoom"

Spike