What AF training might be useful for CAP members?

Started by RiverAux, September 29, 2009, 12:46:36 PM

RiverAux

Below is one of the clauses from the Air Force Instruction that governs AF-CAP interactions which basically authorizes CAP members to attend AF training classes on a space available basis so long as it doesn't cost the AF any money.

Does anyone have any ideas about any particular type of AF training being done out there that would be of use to CAP members and would also be feasible for them to take? 

I suspect that most AF training courses are so long that having CAP members attend would not be likely, so we're probably talking about training that would take a week or less. 

Any ideas?
Quote3.18.1. Space Available Training Opportunities. All CAP members may, at their own expense, attend training programs offered at DoD Installations. FTCA/FECA does not extend to this activity. Such training will be offered for CAP personnel on a space available basis at no additional cost to the Government. CAP-USAF/CC and the training activity commander must approve the request prior to CAP participation. Examples of such programs include aerospace physiological training in accordance with AFI 11-401, Aviation Management, CISM training, etc..

Hawk200

A good question.

Not sure which ones would be useful, but I imagine something like "Train the trainer" might be handy (it's only a couple days).

I went to Arctic Survival School while in Alaska, that one might be useful (it's a Monday through Friday thing) for our aircrews up there. I got in because it was one of the first classes for the school in the season, so there weren't many folks attending. Survival training is never a bad thing.

If there are installations that offer the ICS residence courses those would be good if the member is local. Don't know if the military even hosts them, but it would be easy to do.

That's only a few things I can think of that would work. I'm sure there are plenty of others.

swamprat86

I knew a member years ago that took the Air War College in residence.  He wasn't in the service so it had to be through CAP that he signed up.  I don't know what he did to get the OK to attend it outside of the regular application process.

Strick

BMT would be good, just pay for you own food and leave your polo shirt at home ;D ;D ;D
[darn]atio memoriae

DC

Quote from: Strick on September 29, 2009, 02:52:25 PM
BMT would be good, just pay for you own food and leave your polo shirt at home ;D ;D ;D
Or OTS..  >:D

Nick

I'd love to get into the Basic Instructor Course (BIC - 4 weeks) and/or Academic Instructor School (AIS - 9 weeks I think?).  I can't get it justified in the AF since I already went through an instructor credit-awarding course required for my job, and it has obvious benefit for CAP.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

Flying Pig

1A7X1

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Strick on September 29, 2009, 02:52:25 PM

And remember to tell the MTI's that You Are An Officer and they are to treat you as such... :D ;D >:D
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Capt Rivera

Have any guard guys been able to use this to get the Job they want?

Example: You wanted to cross train and a spot was open, however, they didn't want to spend the training funds to send you to be cross trained. If you already posses the AFSC, they would take you in a heart beat.

- IE they have open position but not really undermanned or they don't value sending you because you have already been in 10 years/etc...

Were you able to attend school for "free" and then come back and change AFSCs?

Hope that was clearer then mud....
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

Orville_third

As a CAP Historian, I'd like to try taking the Air Force Historical Research Agency Courses.

http://www.afhra.af.mil/historiancourses.asp

In addition, while it's not USAF per se, as a PAO, it might be good for me to take some DoD Public Affairs Courses.

http://www.dinfos.osd.mil/DinfosWeb/pald.asp
Captain Orville Eastland, CAP
Squadron Historian
Public Affairs Officer
Greenville Composite Squadron
SC Wing

flyguy06

Quote from: RiveraJ on October 05, 2009, 07:49:37 PM
Have any guard guys been able to use this to get the Job they want?

Example: You wanted to cross train and a spot was open, however, they didn't want to spend the training funds to send you to be cross trained. If you already posses the AFSC, they would take you in a heart beat.

- IE they have open position but not really undermanned or they don't value sending you because you have already been in 10 years/etc...

Were you able to attend school for "free" and then come back and change AFSCs?

Hope that was clearer then mud....

I had never considered it but after reading this, I think I will look into it. Mycurrent Guard unit is a joint Army/Air Guard unit anyway so it would be interetsting to see

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: flyguy06 on October 08, 2009, 01:26:38 AM
Mycurrent Guard unit is a joint Army/Air Guard unit anyway so it would be interetsting to see

Really?  I didn't know any of those existed (joint blue/green Guard), at least not on a formal basis, though of course there are many occasions for them to co-operate, like flying ArNG troops to a disaster area/battlezone aboard an ANG Herk.

Something like the former (disaster relief), I think could be a good opportunity for CAP to help with.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

flyguy06

J-Stars is a joint Air National Guard/Active Air Force/Active Army unit. But thats not the unit I am with.

I am a member of a CERFP unit CERF(CBRNE Enhanced Force Package) i new concept particular tothe National Guard. ever heard of a CST (Civil Support Team)? they are 22 active Guard follks that are ready on a 24 hour basis to respond in a ceetain region to any nuclear, chemical,or biological incident. they also help local authorites in major natural disaters (such as a baseball stadium blows up) Anyway, if the situtauion is larger than they can hanlde they call inthe CERF. It is complsed of traditional guardsmen as well as active guardsmen.

We are a battalion size element composed of a C2, Chemical element, medical element, and an search and extatraction element. the medical element is usually a Air guard unit and the others are army guard.

I like this unit because its similiar to what we do in CAP. My guard unit works a lot with civilian authorities and we have to take all the ICS courses (wich I already had taken in CAP so all I had to take was ICS 700 and 800) There are only 17 of these units nationwide but they are trying to form more.

I like my unit. We dont deploy overseas. Our deployemnts are to events in country.

Its kinda different than CAP though. CAP repsonds to say hurricanes. We would respond to a hurricane if a chemical plant got destroyed in it.

The Guard is trying to do more with less.

AdAstra

Orville,

A couple years back, I took the AFIADL Career Development Course 3HO51M - Historian Journeyman Course. It concentrated on the AF unit level historian, the young junior officer charged to attend all meetings, collect all paper, and create the unit history at the end of the year. It would be useful for you as a squadron historian, but as the wing historian, I was looking for more information about the "big picture": research, archives, etc.

See http://www.au.af.mil/au/afiadl/ for list of Career Development Courses available. Historian is listed but links to a blank page. The course is not listed in the full AU catalog.

Many years ago, I inquired about attending the Academic Instructor Course at Maxwell. The reply was rather cold: yes, CAP members may attend, but it is a very rigorous course and previous CAP members had dropped out, thus depriving an AF instructor of the opportunity to advance in his career field.

FWIW, I'll be at Maxwell next week and will return to AFHRA to do a little CAP research. I'll add the historian classes to my list of questions to ask.

Another vote for a history page on CAP-Talk!
Charles Wiest

Orville_third

Thanks! I'd appreciate the course materials. (I'm not sure if they updated the course. I know it's not listed as being currently active.)
Are you a Historian for CAP? (I do plan sometime to interview (by phone) a 50+  year CAP member who served for a time with CA wing. (Lt. Col. Ed Crankshaw) In addition, I do plan to possibly contact the head of the Disney Archives in regards to any Disney CAP-related insignias they may have...)
Captain Orville Eastland, CAP
Squadron Historian
Public Affairs Officer
Greenville Composite Squadron
SC Wing

JC004

I asked NHQ folks about this before.  I was told that it is generally impractical since it's space-A and unless you live outside Maxwell or whatever, there is little use.  Remember that it has to be at no cost to the government too, so feeding and housing you for free is out.