The Oaths...or an oath...made it into regs.

Started by Major Carrales, September 02, 2008, 07:43:15 PM

Major Carrales

http://level2.cap.gov/documents/R035_005.pdf

Quoteb. Commanders are encouraged to have promotion ceremonies each time a member receives a promotion and issue the CAP promotion oath to those earning officer grades. The CAP promotion oath is:

I, (full name), having been promoted to the grade of __________ in the Civil Air Patrol, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and comply with the Constitution, Bylaws and regulations of the Civil Air Patrol; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge all duties and responsibilities as well as obey the orders of the officers appointed over me according to regulations, so help me God.

I was reading my old unit newsletter and remembered some OATHS of PROMOTION that had circulated a while back.  One seems to have been codified by CAPR 35-5 21 AUGUST 2008.

The discussion and backlash on the original oaths was made here...
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=2147.0
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

♠SARKID♠

Cripes I can barely get my cadets to memorize the cadet oath.  That thing could be hairy...

DC

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on September 03, 2008, 02:12:27 AM
Cripes I can barely get my cadets to memorize the cadet oath.  That thing could be hairy...
Ours never make it to C/Amn if they don't...

I like it, simple, and better than the 'Oath of Application' in CAPP 151.

PHall

Why would it be a problem? You don't have to memorise it, you just repeat it when you get promoted.

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: PHall on September 03, 2008, 03:24:06 AM

Why would it be a problem? You don't have to memorise it, you just repeat it when you get promoted.

We require memorization.  Granted, the reg only recommends it for officer promotions

DC

Quote from: PHall on September 03, 2008, 03:24:06 AM
you just repeat it when you get promoted.
Do you give your cadets a little script for promotion ceremonies?

I have yet to see a cadet, when told "you need to memorize this", fail to do so pretty quickly.. Like I said, my squadron commander will not promote a cadet to C/Amn is they cannot recite the oath from memory.

But, the Cadet Oath is established. New SM oath?

RiverAux

Just be glad it is kind of short.  The CG Aux has a whole deal for when new staff officers are sworn in and you get really, really, really tired of hearing the flotilla command recite the introductory paragraphs.  Sometimes, we might swear new staff members in three meetings in a row and it gets very old, fast.  Now, the actually swearing part is about the same and that I don't mind. 

alamrcn

I memorized the Cadet Oath 18 years ago, and the [darn] thing is STILL stuck in my brain! If only I could apply that kind of memory retention in day-to-day things.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

MAJORZ04

I and 2 other Officers were promoted to Lt Col last Sat.  We had the oath
given to us by a past National Commander.  We were very moved by the
experience.  It does mean something.  We just repeated the sentences
after the General.  I would recommend using it.  I feel it raises the solemnity
of the day and the importance of the promotion.
Like all things in CAP.... You get out of it what you put into it!

MIKE

WRT the Cadet Oath I think a reg cite is in order:

Quote from: CAPR 52-162-4. g. Knowledge of the Cadet Oath. Cadets must recite the Cadet Oath from memory to qualify for promotion. The Cadet Oath is: "I pledge that I will serve faithfully in the Civil Air Patrol Cadet Program, and that I will attend meetings regularly, participate actively in unit activities, obey my officers, wear my uniform properly, and advance my education and training rapidly to prepare myself to be of service to my community, state, and nation."

Emphasis mine.

Mike Johnston