Main Menu

The New G.I. Bill

Started by RickFranz, July 06, 2008, 02:43:56 PM

RickFranz

For all you active duty folks, it sounds like the new GI Bill is going to be a very good deal for you.  Do you have any thoughts on it?

Thanks for your Service! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

mikeylikey

I don't like all of it.  Benefits should remain with the service member......not transferred to children (college tuition).

What's up monkeys?

flyguy06

what is in the new GI Bill

RickFranz

Here is a link to a page that explains it in detail.

http://education.military.com/money-for-school/gi-bill/new-gi-bill-overview

It is really better than anything I had.  As for transferring it I guess if you served as a father or mother and did not want to go to school, it would be a gift to pass on to your child.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

hatentx

The new Gi Bill was enough to make the decision for me to get out now.  I was on the edge but now I am looking at getting out joining the Guard who will pay 100% tuition and then basically live off of the Gi Bill benefits.  I will be making a little more money going to college than I do now in the active duty Army.  I am making a few investment that will help but for the most part they are going to do better out than in. 

As for transferring it to a spouse or child why not.  If I was going to stay in a do 20 years and was able to get my degree from the TA or decided I didnt want a degree when I got out then yeah that is 80K that is going to be lost to me.  Or why should I pay for my spouses college when I have the GI Bill to pay for it.  I personally think it is one of the best things they did.

mikeylikey

^ I totally disagree with the ED benefits transferability, but agree with other problems the new bill solved.  I believe the benefits should stay with the member, not the members immediate family.  If little Johnny or Suzie wants the military to pay for college, how about Enlisting like Mom or Dad did.  What makes the kids more deserving to get a "free ride" to college?  I can almost accept a spouse, under certain conditions, like the service member was a injured or killed while on Active Duty getting the members benefits. 

I am still on the fence with the new bill.  Only time will tell.  I see it only as a way to keep many numbers of the military from leaving within the next 4 years.  Just like they did recently for Army Captains (pay a bonus of $30,00 or go to grad school or get your first choice of duty station). 

There are many problems that needed worked out before this new GI BILL in the DOD community.  Lets hope the momentum continues.   

What's up monkeys?

lordmonar

What's to work out?

Transferability is something that GI's have been asking for 10 years now.

What ever happened to listening to the guys in the field?

I am questioning about whether to transfer over....the new GI Bill is better for traditional schools...but if you are looking for other certifciations the MGI Bill looks better.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

davedove

Quote from: mikeylikey on July 07, 2008, 03:20:28 AM
I see it only as a way to keep many numbers of the military from leaving within the next 4 years. 

Why else would they do it?  You can bet that anytime the government changes something for its employees, which service members are, it will benefit the government in some way.

Says the government worker. ;)
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

hatentx

Sure you know will have college educated people that will be looking for new jobs.  Some of them having 4 to 6 year active time they would like to continue, so the will either go back into the military or another government job or work for someone that does buisness with the Government.  It will also incress recruiting as well.  Now people know that they will have alot more college money when they get out.  So they will get more lifers as well.  It goes to making the military happy, happy people work better.  If I know that I can get my wife her education becasue of my Gi Bill then that is one expence I will not have to pay.  Of and that is a lot of extra money comming in for us as well.  I dont know if you all have noticed but the moral in the military is low.  Maybe it is just me but I doubt it.  The only thing I dont get about it though is that now that is it there, I was on the fence about re uping, now it is no decision I am getting out and going to life just as well as I am now but going to college.  What will I do after than who know, I might go back in, I might go full time CAP.  lol

RickFranz

All I know is when my son gets out of the Navy next year, be better get into to school and be serious about! >:D

This is sure a lot better deal then the old old GI bill.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

mikeylikey

Quote from: hatentx on July 07, 2008, 11:51:39 PM
I dont know if you all have noticed but the moral in the military is low.  Maybe it is just me but I doubt it. 

Its not just you. 

Actually I have been happy with the decisions I have made in the Service.  I enjoy my career, and the benefits.  I understood back in 2000 what joining the military would entail.  That was a totally different time before 2001.  I was expecting a few peacekeeping and Kosovo like tours for my entire career, I never thought I would have spent the better part of THIS decade outside the United States at WAR.

I also have to say that the difference of opinion regarding the NEW GI BILL may stem from the fact that I went a different route than members who routinely use the GI BILL.  I wound up riding an ROTC scholarship, doing an SMP gig with a local National Guard Unit, and Commissioning onto AD.  I never spent a day living paycheck to paycheck like most Junior Enlisted Members do, other than while I was in College.  I could see where the new benefits like transferability would be preferred.  I suppose having a child or spouse take my college tuition benefit is no different than having a child or spouse being able to go to the PX or Commissary and shop.

So I take back what I said previously, after much consideration, I think the new Bill is the way the DoD should go, and I fully support it.  Now they should work on raising pay for the E-1 to 0-3 categories.   >:D  Mostly 0-3.   ;D   
What's up monkeys?

Capt Rivera

Yes I fully intend to hijack this topic if you let me  >:D

What does this have to do with CAP? CAP does not in anyway, shape or form get benefits from the GI BILL.

Yes some CAP members happen to be in the military. I am one of them.

So whats my gripe? Why do we allow the mods to pick and choose what to lock and what not to lock. Why don't we hold them accountable to the rules they set?

It seems to me that if something has nuthing to do with CAP [like this topic] but they like it or don't mind the discussion, it stays open. If they dislike a topic it gets locked almost immediately. Not only do they do this, but the ones who seem the quickest to lock topics fail to respond to questions concerning why.

Are CAPTALK moderators above their own rules? If they are NOT, then why is this topic and others which have nuthing to do with CAP left open when others are closed?

Need an example? here: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=5497.0 and this one was applicable to CAP!
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

Fifinella

^^ It is THEIR forum, and they can do whatever they like.  It's not a democracy, and you ain't payin' for any part of it.  So quit whining. :-X
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

desertengineer1

I used every bit of my MGIB after coming off of AD.  Yeah, it was essentially a fraction of what it should have been, but I didn't have to eat raman noodles as a main staple while racking up $50,000 in loans - like some frinds of mine did.

I did have an issue with the "double dip" rule, and wonder if this has been corrected (or made OBE).  Essentially, all MGIB benefits are subtracted from your federal aid eligibility by law.  Looking at the total federal aid eligibility amount, your benefits count against you.  While this might reduce the amount of loans you have to pay back (i.e. reduced the total you qualify for), it still ticked me off. 

mikeylikey

Second on Fif's comments.  Your thread that was locked was referencing a Democratic Party agenda website.  This one is not.

It may be beneficial to be able to know what is happening in the military occasionally when some of us may be dealing with Cadets who come to CAP to get "educated" about the military.  Now CAP members may know that there is a New GI BILL and do some searching on it if they are by chance asked by a cadet about it.  

It can also be said that with more money dumped into the GI Bill program by DOD, CAP may see a decrease in appropriations next year (or whenever the Bill goes into effect).

And what you may not know, CAP members that served during WW2 had been given limited GI BILL benefits back in the late 1940's.  In fact, their service afforded them many benefits that were not afforded to other civilians during the war, because of the sacrifices they made above and beyond others.  They also get a few VA benefits.  Check out VA's website, and you can see CAP referenced a few times.  

SO yes.....this may relate to CAP, if only vaguely.      
What's up monkeys?

MIKE

It's a judgment call... Semper Gumby.  This isn't talk.net, it's captalk.net but I think we are all willing to bend a little on a case by case basis... But we did need something to allow us to prevent you from talking about anything you feel like on here as needed.
Mike Johnston

desertengineer1

IMHO, I think this is an excellent CAP topic.  You'll be leagues ahead of peers going from Cadet or SM into an AD status - not to mention E-3 pay on day 1 of BMT if you have the Mitchell.

The new MGIB is an excellent motivator for those thinking of joining, and there are a BUNCH of former cadets in the AD world thanks to CAP.

Quote from: MIKE on July 09, 2008, 07:18:50 PM
It's a judgment call... Semper Gumby.  This isn't talk.net, it's captalk.net but I think we are all willing to bend a little on a case by case basis... But we did need something to allow us to prevent you from talking about anything you feel like on here as needed.