What Are You Doing This Weekend?

Started by MIKE, May 26, 2007, 03:27:33 AM

MIKE

Mike Johnston

JC004

PHall

Plant flags in cemetery tomorrow.
Participate in two memorial ceremonies on Monday.

lordmonar

I'm flying a mission for the Coast Guard tomorrow.  Monday we are going up to the National Cemetery for a ceremony.

Sunday if for the family.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

1LtNurseOfficer

Unfortunately, I have only Saturday off and must work Sunday and Monday nights. 

However, on Sunday morning, I'll be going with our cadet Color Guard to present the Colors at our chaplain's church and then to a Color Guard member's church to retire the colors at the end of the service. 

stillamarine

Working 7p-7a saturday.....dang I'm such a nice guy to give the weekend guy the night off

Sunday, thinking about catching a baseball game, our local minor league team has a home game and haven't seen a game since opening day 2 weeks ago (thats odd for me!)

Monday, working my normal shift. I will be going in early to assist with raising the flag back to full mast at noon.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

davedove

That cartoon serves as a reminder of what this "holiday" is supposed to be about.  I wonder how many people even think about it beyond getting a long weekend.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Major Carrales

Quote from: davedove on May 26, 2007, 12:01:42 PM
That cartoon serves as a reminder of what this "holiday" is supposed to be about.  I wonder how many people even think about it beyond getting a long weekend.

I was touched by this cartoon.  Growing up, there were many veterans (WWII-Korea-Vietnam) and others that displayed proper regard for Memorial Day.  In recent years it has become a causality to commercialization.

This cartoon demonstrates that Memorial Day is more than a "throw away" holiday; but rather a solemn day.

Sparky
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

mikeylikey

4 day weekend, however, Monday is a "mandatory" remembrance ceremony and BBQ for my soldiers and families not on leave.  Lots of Hotdogs, some ribs, oh......and a slip and slide for the kiddies!  "Breaking" into the flower fund this weekend!! 
What's up monkeys?

Flying Pig

RiverAux

Vigilantly keeping my eye on CAPTalk...  :(

captrncap

While I agree with the concept of the cartoon, I would say that it is a little insulting to our Armed Forces.

I would like to believe that they would have more respect than that.

If it was civilians, it would be more appropriate.

Thank you for all that served to keep this nation free.

Hawk200

I remember putting flags on veterans graves one time with a number of members in my wing. I scared the daylights out of a cadet after he decided to use one of the grave markers as something to step on. I probably was a bit out of line telling him "Get the hell off that marker!!!", but it kind of made me mad. Other than that, it was a good activity. Put flags on graves, a chaplain led in prayer, then a real good barbecue afterwards. Was a good day, and left me thinking about how people might remember my service after I'm gone (one cadet aside, of course).

LtCol White

Quote from: captrncap on May 26, 2007, 10:07:21 PM
While I agree with the concept of the cartoon, I would say that it is a little insulting to our Armed Forces.

I would like to believe that they would have more respect than that.

If it was civilians, it would be more appropriate.

Thank you for all that served to keep this nation free.

I don't think it is insulting at all. I think it proves a point that there is SO much commercialization of holidays resulting in the loss of their original intent that even members of the armed forces can forget or lose sight.

Let us not also forget that many of our fellow servicemen and women are recently returned home from less than pleasant conditions and are in great need of social fun and time with their families to help remove them from the combat environment. It does NOT mean that they have forgotten their comrades. NO ONE knows better about the sacrifices than THEY do. They deserve every chance they get to forget and have fun. They need it and they have EARNED it....literally with blood, sweat, and tears.

May almighty God bless and keep all of them forever in the palm of His hand.

LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

RiverAux

If the guys in the service now want to go party on Memorial Day or Veterans Day, I say go for it.  They deserve the break. 

mikeylikey

Quote from: RiverAux on May 26, 2007, 11:53:41 PM
If the guys in the service now want to go party on Memorial Day or Veterans Day, I say go for it.  They deserve the break. 

Don't party too hard, PT at 530AM!
What's up monkeys?

lordmonar

Quote from: lordmonar on May 26, 2007, 06:23:12 AM
I'm flying a mission for the Coast Guard tomorrow.  Monday we are going up to the National Cemetery for a ceremony.

Sunday if for the family.

To update....

I just finished my sortie.  All aircraft landed with out incident.  We spotted one boat that may have been hung up on shore and passed it on to the appropriate authorities.

I just got say....if you ever go to Las Vegas you got to see Lake Meade and the Grand Canyon by air!  It is simply spectacular.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Chappie

Yesterday, the members of Squadron 103 celebrated the 80th birthday of one of our long-time CAP members, LtC Robert "Bob" Beevers.

This morning was church.

Tomorrow, I will participating in the annual Memorial Day observance at the San Luis Obispo Cemetary.  There is a semi-pro baseball team -- the SLO Blues -- that will play a double-header tomorrow afternoon.  They are opening the gates to all military personnel who are currently serving as well as vets.  I will be attending the game with some of my military friends....don't worry...I am paying full ticket price since I am neither a vet or in military service.  But will enjoy the afternoon with some of my buddies.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Larry Mangum

Have spent the weekend as an Agency Liaison searching for a missing aircraft.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

JohnKachenmeister

Friday:  Worked CCAFS tours.

Saturday:  Margaritas by the pool

Sunday:  More Margaritas by the pool

Monday:  I have to work.

I supported the troops by NOT driving anywhere.  Also, I raised a glass as I do every Memorial Day to remember those fellows that I knew who came home in flag-draped boxes.

At least most of them came home, I think.
Another former CAP officer