Requirements to work at national headquarters

Started by slimshady, February 27, 2016, 01:43:13 AM

slimshady

Does anyone know what the requirements are to get a position at Maxwell AFB for CAP headquarters.

raivo

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

PHall

But CAP Inc employees still don't get Exchange or Commissary Privileges.

Tim Medeiros

So, here's a question, are you talking as a part of the paid staff?  Or the volunteer staff?

If volunteer staff, I have some disappointing news for you.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

slimshady

Whichever position that will give me as much pull as possible with changing things nationwide for cap. And the regular Air Force would also have to approve these types of changes.

LSThiker

Quote from: slimshady on February 27, 2016, 08:18:15 PM
Whichever position that will give me as much pull as possible with changing things nationwide for cap. And the regular Air Force would also have to approve these types of changes.

That would be CAP-USAF commander, but then you would need to join the USAF.

Or the CAP/CC.  Good luck with that.

goblin

Luis R. Ramos

Goblin, we are back to the beginning of this thread!

FREE access to ALL USAF bases... Or at least a CAC card for ALL CAP members...

Good luck with that one!    :-\

Access to all recreational facilities in all bases... Or at least pools and gyms for ALL CAP members...

Should I repeat myself? Good luck with that one!    :-\    :-\
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

abdsp51

Man.  You really need to rethink your overall strategy and game plan if you want any change to happen.  By your own admission you are actually going against the org getting anything worthwhile. 

Chappie

By personal experience, I have found that I can and have made contributions by simply advancing within the Professional Development program -- learning at each level how the corporation operates -- and accepting various responsibilities and roles within the organization at each level (squadron/group/wing/region chaplain; serving on training staffs - SLS/CLC/CCRSC/NSC; participating in various activities; serving on committees - wing/region/national).   In the process I have learned that what I have done has made a difference...sometimes significantly...in how the mission of CAP is fulfilled. 

A staff position at NHQ -- be it paid or volunteer -- does not necessarily mean that you will be in a position to "have as much pull as possible with changing things nationwide for cap".   You will find that the success you are seeking will come from working with others in a collaborative effort...and it may take months, even years...to see it come to fruition.  I can attest to seeing something finally see the light of day after 7 years of working on/promoting it.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

goblin

abdsp51

This is an attempt to appeal to his/her sense of entitlement and to justify his/her fraudulent actions.

USACAP

Hmmmm ...
May want to work on that first.

I have been ordered to stop talking to people at national headquarters ...

Quote from: Goblin on February 27, 2016, 08:22:27 PM
What kinda changes?
(In before the lock!)

Chappie

Quote from: USACAP on March 01, 2016, 04:37:42 AM
Hmmmm ...

Quote from: Goblin on February 27, 2016, 08:22:27 PM
What kinda changes?
(In before the lock!)

It appears from that first item, someone has not/is not following the "chain of command".  That is a major "faux pas"

Storm Chaser

Trying to go from the bottom to the top just to make changes rarely works. The best way to make an impact to the organization is to be an active contributor at the squadron, group, wing, etc. In my experience, if you work hard to make the organization better at whatever echelon you're at, sooner or later you will be given an opportunity to contribute at a higher level with wider impact to the organization.

Chappie

Quote from: Storm Chaser on March 01, 2016, 06:49:28 PM
Trying to go from the bottom to the top just to make changes rarely works. The best way to make an impact to the organization is to be an active contributor at the squadron, group, wing, etc. In my experience, if you work hard to make the organization better at whatever echelon you're at, sooner or later you will be given an opportunity to contribute at a higher level with wider impact to the organization.

^^^words of wisdom^^^

Holding Pattern

Also, after a couple of years in CAP certain things that may seem annoying now end up making complete sense later once you have experience.

Chappie

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on March 01, 2016, 07:24:29 PM
Also, after a couple of years in CAP certain things that may seem annoying now end up making complete sense later once you have experience.
True that ^^  Been in CAP since 1996 and have now served at every level from Squadron to National.   And at each level, there is a "learning curve" as it pertains to roles and responsibilities.  One has to know and understand the culture of the organization...as well as the culture of various groups within the organization...and on top of that...the culture of the squadron/group/wing/region (though we love to say there is "one team/one CAP" -- there are certainly a lot of flavors...60 of them to be exact and that's not including the NHQ folks :) )

lordmonar

+1

Those guys at NHQ (paid and volunteer staff) don't make changes just because "they have the power".
The organization has been there and done that.....and we try to avoid that sort of thing.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

LSThiker

Hmmmm ...

Sorry, but I am not seeing where the original poster actually said this.  What reply or thread is this in?

Thanks,

SarDragon

Quote from: LSThiker on March 01, 2016, 10:16:43 PM
Hmmmm ...

Sorry, but I am not seeing where the original poster actually said this.  What reply or thread is this in?

Thanks,

That quote is from a two year old post, under a different screen name. Here. This is provided for enlightenment, and not necessarily as a topic for further commentary. That train left the rails months ago.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

LSThiker

Quote from: SarDragon on March 01, 2016, 10:32:09 PM
Hmmmm ...

Thanks,

That quote is from a two year old post, under a different screen name. Here. This is provided for enlightenment, and not necessarily as a topic for further commentary. That train left the rails months ago.

Thanks.  Forgot about that thread.

Chappie

Quote from: lordmonar on March 01, 2016, 09:57:25 PM
+1

Those guys at NHQ (paid and volunteer staff) don't make changes just because "they have the power".
The organization has been there and done that.....and we try to avoid that sort of thing.

^^Perzactly^^ (as one of my kids used to say)

Chappie

Quote from: SarDragon on March 01, 2016, 10:32:09 PM
Hmmmm ...

Thanks,

Thanks....will not waste any more bandwidth.

JeffDG

Quote from: lordmonar on March 01, 2016, 09:57:25 PM
+1

Top-down change rarely works in an established organizational culture.

Bottom up change does work.  Small incremental changes at a squadron get noticed at the group and spread out, then Wing notices them, Region, etc.

By the time it hits NHQ it has a strong record of being a positive change, and most of the kinks have been worked out along the way.

A charismatic leader who tries to impose change from the top generally gets hammered into the ground by organizational inertia.