Main Menu

Welp, I'm done.

Started by The14th, June 26, 2014, 04:15:56 PM

The14th

I literally had nothing to give this organisation besides my time and experience. I was more motivated than the average new member. But after 3 plus months of sitting around for 2 hours a week doing nothing, I'm done. Time and time again I've gone out of my way to progress and get involved, and time and time again I nothing but "I was/am too busy, I'll do that next week." Only to come back the next week and get the same speech.

I completed my online portion of my Level 1 the first week. And have been waiting for almost 3 months now for the in person portion. I've asked over and over again, and gotten nothing. I was told by two others that I was going to be doing Professional Development, so wasted the time studying it, only to have the Commander flip a switch when I mentioned it, as if nobody had bothered to tell him. Even though multiple people have.

Nobody seems to ever have time to actually do anything, but yet somehow they still try? What is the point in volunteering for something if you don't actually have the time to do anything?

I wanted to get involved, and progress. It seemed like a good deal, but nope. Just a big waste of time and money, apparently. I'm sure some Squadrons run more efficiently, but I lost all motivation to even bother finding a new one.

With that said, I've got a bunch of Blues, pin off stuff, and patches to sell if anyone is interested. If you are, private message me and I'll give you a better idea of what I have and what sizes.

spaatzmom

Quote from: The14th on June 26, 2014, 04:15:56 PM
I literally had nothing to give this organisation besides my time and experience. I was more motivated than the average new member. But after 3 plus months of sitting around for 2 hours a week doing nothing, I'm done. Time and time again I've gone out of my way to progress and get involved, and time and time again I nothing but "I was/am too busy, I'll do that next week." Only to come back the next week and get the same speech.

I completed my online portion of my Level 1 the first week. And have been waiting for almost 3 months now for the in person portion. I've asked over and over again, and gotten nothing. I was told by two others that I was going to be doing Professional Development, so wasted the time studying it, only to have the Commander flip a switch when I mentioned it, as if nobody had bothered to tell him. Even though multiple people have.

Nobody seems to ever have time to actually do anything, but yet somehow they still try? What is the point in volunteering for something if you don't actually have the time to do anything?

I wanted to get involved, and progress. It seemed like a good deal, but nope. Just a big waste of time and money, apparently. I'm sure some Squadrons run more efficiently, but I lost all motivation to even bother finding a new one.

With that said, I've got a bunch of Blues, pin off stuff, and patches to sell if anyone is interested. If you are, private message me and I'll give you a better idea of what I have and what sizes.

I am sorry that your particular squadron has left you to feel this way.  They have done you and CAP a great disservice.  Before you check out go see how other squadrons behave and treat their members.  Ii may be a case of just finding the right fit.

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: spaatzmom on June 26, 2014, 04:37:18 PM

I am sorry that your particular squadron has left you to feel this way.  They have done you and CAP a great disservice.  Before you check out go see how other squadrons behave and treat their members.  Ii may be a case of just finding the right fit.

+1 from me.

To which I would add:  Check around some nearby units first but, if, indeed, you choose to leave, do so with some dignity.   Talk to the squadron CC then write the CC a nice letter stating the reasons for your departure.  If the CC doesn't offer you at least a decent hearing, by all means copy the letter higher up the chain of command but, no matter how irritated you are, resist the urge to burn bridges!

NC Hokie

This is what I get from what you've typed:

1) You came in to CAP with the right attitude.
2) You are not interested in wasting anyone's time.
3) You're open to the idea that CAP can be better than what you have experienced.

This makes you EXACTLY the kind of person CAP needs, and I am truly sorry that some have done an excellent job of pushing you out of the door.

That said, there are three squadrons within a 10 mile radius of the location listed in your user profile, and a fourth one not too much further away.  You have options, and I hope that you'll take some time to explore them if you have not already done so.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

The CyBorg is destroyed

I wish you were in my squadron.

You have motivation the likes of which I've rarely seen in CAP.

The decision to leave is yours to make (and believe me, I've agonised over it several times) but CAP would be losing a potentially energetic, focussed member - which is exactly what we need MORE of.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Salty

I would definitely check out the other squadrons in your vicinity first.
CAP Cadet 1989-1994
CAP Senior Member 1994-1995, 2011-current
USAF Aeromedical Technician 1994-1998

Simplex

Ditto, to all of the above. Hate to see anyone leave but are there any other squadrons in your area? As others have said before me, you're the type of member any squadron would be happy to have, barring the one you're leaving.

Good luck!

Flying Pig

Have you contacted the group or wing to see if you can be involved at a different level? Checked out another Squadron? 

Chappie

One squadron (even one person) does not make up the organization -- but it can and does reflect poorly on the organization.   As mentioned in the previous postings, before you finalize a decision to leave CAP, try out a couple of other local squadrons, or offer to serve to at another level.   One of the great things that I have experienced in CAP, there are a lot of opportunities to serve.  I know that some directors are looking for staff to assist them in various endeavors.  Contact one the directors at Group/Wing/ even Region level and see if you can lend a hand in one of the areas that you interested in (AE, Finance, History, Professional Development, Public Affairs, ...I think you get the idea).
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Private Investigator

Check out the other Squadrons. I learned from three of my children about Squadrons. We are close to three different ones. Each child liked a different Squadron. What I thought was and is the worst Squadron in the Wing, my youngest daughter liked, as anyone serving punch and cookies can not be that bad   ::)

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Private Investigator on June 27, 2014, 07:27:15 PM
Check out the other Squadrons. I learned from three of my children about Squadrons. We are close to three different ones. Each child liked a different Squadron. What I thought was and is the worst Squadron in the Wing, my youngest daughter liked, as anyone serving punch and cookies can not be that bad   ::)

Especially if said squadron is a cadet/composite (the line between those are often blurry) or senior squadron.  The interpersonal dynamics can be very, very different.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

SunDog

You may be seeing energy and time dissipated in unfocused and sometimes (often?) pointless efforts to feed the system. Got a culture here that's archaic and rigid, one that spends a tremendous amount of time to complete some very low value tasks.

That's not universal, but is common. The advice offered here to shop around is well founded. You may hook up with a sqdn versed in "working around" the system, and/or with enough people to fill some of the more-or-less irrelevant squares.

CAP's organizational (and membership) model is probably obsolete, but there may be too many rice bowls being protected to expect major improvements, unless/until things get a bit worse. Some de facto, un-sanctioned, bottom-up change occurs in some sqdns, as Wing and NHQ enforcement is weak.  Maybe find one of those?

CAP may be on a downward trajectory, but it won't implode overnight - like Detroit, there will still be some cool places to hang, until very late in the game. 

rustyjeeper

Quote from: SunDog on June 28, 2014, 02:03:48 AM
You may be seeing energy and time dissipated in unfocused and sometimes (often?) pointless efforts to feed the system. Got a culture here that's archaic and rigid, one that spends a tremendous amount of time to complete some very low value tasks.

That's not universal, but is common. The advice offered here to shop around is well founded. You may hook up with a sqdn versed in "working around" the system, and/or with enough people to fill some of the more-or-less irrelevant squares.

CAP's organizational (and membership) model is probably obsolete, but there may be too many rice bowls being protected to expect major improvements, unless/until things get a bit worse. Some de facto, un-sanctioned, bottom-up change occurs in some sqdns, as Wing and NHQ enforcement is weak.  Maybe find one of those?

CAP may be on a downward trajectory, but it won't implode overnight - like Detroit, there will still be some cool places to hang, until very late in the game.

You sir are spot on....
I hope the trajectory changes

BuckeyeDEJ

Hey, The14th, message me off list if you don't mind. Someone like you, we need in CAP. You somehow got into a bad situation, but I can assure you that's not what CAP is.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

The14th

This is hardly a surprise or anything, but I hadn't yet officially "quit" the Squadron. Instead, I decided to just stop coming to the weekly meetings and see how long before someone tries to find out where I've been. It'll be week 3 in two days and I haven't even gotten so much as a "Are you okay?" email from anyone. And they complain about retention...

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: The14th on July 06, 2014, 11:40:18 PM
This is hardly a surprise or anything, but I hadn't yet officially "quit" the Squadron. Instead, I decided to just stop coming to the weekly meetings and see how long before someone tries to find out where I've been. It'll be week 3 in two days and I haven't even gotten so much as a "Are you okay?" email from anyone. And they complain about retention...

I would put it down more toward ennui, which is a problem in CAP in general, than any personal antipathy toward you.  Of course, I do not know your exact situation.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

Why would you?

It's the height of the summer, 1/2 of CAP is "gone" - no one will even notice until at least August or September.

On second thought, that isn't fair - I reread, and the fact that you haven't even received your full Level 1 yet
is unacceptable, and in fact, summer's a good time to do it since things are slow.

If you're inclined, it might be time to take it up the channel, if only to rattle the cage a bit.

"That Others May Zoom"

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: Eclipse on July 07, 2014, 04:54:30 AM

Why would you?

It's the height of the summer, 1/2 of CAP is "gone" - no one will even notice until at least August or September.

On second thought, that isn't fair - I reread, and the fact that you haven't even received your full Level 1 yet
is unacceptable, and in fact, summer's a good time to do it since things are slow.

If you're inclined, it might be time to take it up the channel, if only to rattle the cage a bit.

I agree - summer is a good time to get things done like this, and rattling the cage somewhat is a good idea.

Garibaldi

On a related note, I'm back. Had a calm talk with the CC on Saturday after I'd had a chance to think things over and some of the nice PMs I got persuaded me to stay. I just can't go. It's like Horse....one you get it in your system it's really hard to quit it. And if you do manage to quit, and somehow get sucked back in, it gets much much worse, so no sense in going through a mind change two or three years down the road. Again.

The14th, we've all been there and done that. Some squadrons are not as good as others, and some are far worse as far as wanting or needing you to stay. Some are highly motivated and others can give a rat's posterior beyond doing the bare minimum to get by. Sounds like you got shafted in your choice.

They may just let it go, after a few months. The CC may be thinking "hey, if we go down 1 more member, we're gonna be made a flight" or something similar. I wouldn't expect anyone to call or email. We've never been good at that, even back in the day. It is what it is, and I'm sorry you got stuck with that kind of crap. That's not what we need, not what you need.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

The CyBorg is destroyed

Sometimes I think my unit wouldn't notice if I just dropped off the rolls, either.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

The14th

This is discouraging. But I think I'm going to try and stay, just maybe in a different capacity. There are a lot of other "issues" I did not address that concerned me. But I like the idea of CAP too much to just give up. We shall see I guess.

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 07, 2014, 03:56:48 PM
On a related note, I'm back. Had a calm talk with the CC on Saturday after I'd had a chance to think things over and some of the nice PMs I got persuaded me to stay. I just can't go. It's like Horse....one you get it in your system it's really hard to quit it. And if you do manage to quit, and somehow get sucked back in, it gets much much worse, so no sense in going through a mind change two or three years down the road. Again.

The14th, we've all been there and done that. Some squadrons are not as good as others, and some are far worse as far as wanting or needing you to stay. Some are highly motivated and others can give a rat's posterior beyond doing the bare minimum to get by. Sounds like you got shafted in your choice.

They may just let it go, after a few months. The CC may be thinking "hey, if we go down 1 more member, we're gonna be made a flight" or something similar. I wouldn't expect anyone to call or email. We've never been good at that, even back in the day. It is what it is, and I'm sorry you got stuck with that kind of crap. That's not what we need, not what you need.

Well, good, quite honestly!

Not sure I like the analogy of CAP being like Horse but...whatever!