Main Menu

Website Help

Started by Angus, February 09, 2012, 09:58:53 PM

Angus

i'm trying to build a website for another group I'm a part of and I'm having some trouble submitting my page to the search engines.  I'm putting in the meta tags like it says but it's not workin any ideas on how I can get this page submitted easier?
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Pylon

It takes time.  The best thing you can do for your site to get found by search engines is to have it linked to by other sites.  You can submit your URL to Google and other search engines, but that doesn't mean they're going to immediately go out and index your site.  It will eventually get "crawled" as part of their normal, on-going web indexing.  But it doesn't happen overnight.

On a side note, as far as search engine optimization goes, meta tags are still read and used but they are deprecated.  Google's algorithms in particular place a much higher emphasis on keywords in the page itself, especially those are the top of the page and within the header (H1, H2, etc.) tags.  Make sure the body text and headers on your pages are keyword rich, not just the meta tags.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP