We have GOT to get rid of the term "Senior Member!"

Started by JohnKachenmeister, October 07, 2010, 05:03:57 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: AirDX on October 07, 2010, 09:56:21 PMO-6 members that do not want to be an O-5 in CAP, thus remaining as SM.

They have a clear misunderstanding of CAP and are too hung up on their birds.  Rather than garner the respect due their advanced grade, they just raise eyebrows as to why they have none?  People are due what they are due, but anyone getting that hung up on the birds needs to get over themselves.

Any one of them would make an excellent unit CC if they were so inclined, and if they don't want to regress to LTC, they really won't want to be Officer Candidates

Quote from: AirDX on October 07, 2010, 09:56:21 PM
We have professional NCO members who only want to be professional NCOs in CAP.
Doesn't exist in CAP, by duty or structure, another group with a misunderstanding of how CAP works.

Anything else?

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Just "member" should be fine so long as all the other categories of membership are very well defined and that the regs make clear that the term "member" only applies to those other than cadets, patrons, AE members, and the other various categories. 

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: RiverAux on October 07, 2010, 10:22:22 PM
Just "member" should be fine so long as all the other categories of membership are very well defined and that the regs make clear that the term "member" only applies to those other than cadets, patrons, AE members, and the other various categories.
I've been using the term "adult leaders/leadership/mentoring", adult members and cadets (primarily teenagers) with the press.    I've seen a few CAP members try to use "Officers" with the news media, with little success (because frankly the newspaper reporter, knew the difference between a "real" officer and a CAP adult member and made the adjustment).
RM

Eclipse

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on October 07, 2010, 10:28:58 PM(because frankly the newspaper reporter, knew the difference between a "real" officer and a CAP adult member and made the adjustment).

Really?  And what would that "difference" be?

"That Others May Zoom"

JohnKachenmeister

"Officer" would work, both for officers with commissioned or flight officer grades, and for  Non-Commissioned... OFFICERS.
Another former CAP officer

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

RRLE

The USCG Aux doesn't have the cadet issue since it does not have a youth group.

However, all Auxies are members. Only members elected or appointed to an office are officers. It works for them.

JohnKachenmeister

^ Yes, but for the reason you noted, it won't work for us.
Another former CAP officer

Krapenhoeffer

HWSNBN was the one who tried to get us all called "Officers"

I will never support a name change to that now.
Proud founding member of the Fellowship of the Vuvuzela.
"And now we just take our Classical Mechanics equations, take the derivative, run it through the uncertainty principal, and take the anti-derivative of the resulting mess. Behold! Quantum Wave Equations! Clear as mud cadets?"
"No... You just broke math law, and who said anything about the anti-derivative? You can obtain the Schrödinger wave equations algebraically!" The funniest part was watching the cadets staring at the epic resulting math fight.

SarDragon

Quote from: coudano on October 07, 2010, 07:20:03 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 07, 2010, 06:36:05 PM
When a "Senior Pentagon Official" is quoted as a news source, do 1/2 the people reading it think the person is over 65.

A lot of senior pentagon officials *ARE* over 65
bwahahaha

Really? A lot? Who might they be? Certainly not many of the generals. Retirement age for a 4-star runs from the early to mid-50s - commission at 22, +30 or so years of service.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DakRadz

Quote from: lordmonar on October 07, 2010, 07:04:35 PM
Easy fix.....SMWOG's can't be commanders.
Eliminate the NCO's

We have a SM in a very high position in CAP. In the Air Force, he was a Lieutenant General. Just because he is a SM doesn't mean he isn't involved or the like. He is in a rather influential position....

NCOs- that depends on the person. Some NCOs like the idea of staying what they were on AD. Others go the officer route and are very successful (NVC, anyone?).

Senior Members does sound olde, IMO. Plus, it's just not accurate in its description of the member.

lordmonar

Quote from: Krapenhoeffer on October 08, 2010, 01:14:52 AM
HWSNBN was the one who tried to get us all called "Officers"

I will never support a name change to that now.

Just because he was an horse's south end.....does not mean he was a complete idiot.

Rejecting a good idea just be cause HWSNBN suggested it is just plain dumb.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

lordmonar

All those "real" officers who refuse to accept their proper rank.....are an INSULT to all other CAP officers.

It shows their contempt to our rank system....and therefore their contempt towards all who wear CAP rank.

End of rant.

DakRadz

I've seen and heard talk from (a very few) certain longtime SMs that they keep that rank because it is the only true CAP rank (other than FO, and that has age limits). Somewhere on here is where I saw it, actually.

I see the point lordmonar makes about those who simply hold CAP officer ranks in contempt, however. And I know this exists too, but that's a person problem. They'll stay like that..

That's all I'll add to this. Back to my lane now.

coudano

Quote from: SarDragon on October 08, 2010, 01:24:45 AM
When a "Senior Pentagon Official" is quoted as a news source, do 1/2 the people reading it think the person is over 65.

bwahahaha

Really? A lot? Who might they be? Certainly not many of the generals. Retirement age for a 4-star runs from the early to mid-50s - commission at 22, +30 or so years of service.

yah i considered that some time after posting it,
i was mostly just being mouthy heh heh
though there are some 'elder statesmen' there, and they aren't all generals, or even "military" for that matter.  maybe not over 65 though, but pretty darned close heh

AirDX

Quote from: Eclipse on October 07, 2010, 10:17:58 PM
They have a clear misunderstanding of CAP and are too hung up on their birds.  Rather than garner the respect due their advanced grade, they just raise eyebrows as to why they have none?  People are due what they are due, but anyone getting that hung up on the birds needs to get over themselves.
Doesn't exist in CAP, by duty or structure, another group with a misunderstanding of how CAP works.

Anything else?

I think it's CAP that has a clear misunderstanding of people that have worked very hard for a long time to achieve what they have, only to be told "well, your real O-6 is about equal to a CAP O-5".  That statement is a joke and a half.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

cap235629

Quote from: SarDragon on October 08, 2010, 01:24:45 AM

bwahahaha

the 30 plus rule does not apply to general officers
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

lordmonar

Quote from: AirDX on October 08, 2010, 02:33:22 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 07, 2010, 10:17:58 PM

Anything else?

I think it's CAP that has a clear misunderstanding of people that have worked very hard for a long time to achieve what they have, only to be told "well, your real O-6 is about equal to a CAP O-5".  That statement is a joke and a half.
You are absoutley right....that's why I advocate eliminating advanced promotion.  CAP rank is CAP rank and it does not matter what you were in a prior life.

SarDragon

Quote from: cap235629 on October 08, 2010, 02:37:33 AM
the 30 plus rule does not apply to general officers

TITLE 10 > Subtitle A > PART II > CHAPTER 36 > SUBCHAPTER III > § 635
Prev | Next
§ 635. Retirement for years of service: regular brigadier generals and rear admirals (lower half)
Except as provided under section 637 (b) of this title, each officer of the Regular Army, Regular Air Force, or Regular Marine Corps who holds the regular grade of brigadier general, and each officer of the Regular Navy who holds the regular grade of rear admiral (lower half), who is not on a list of officers recommended for promotion to the regular grade of major general or rear admiral, respectively, shall, if not earlier retired, be retired on the first day of the first month beginning after the date of the fifth anniversary of his appointment to that grade or on the first day of the month after the month in which he completes 30 years of active commissioned service, whichever is later.

§ 636. Retirement for years of service: regular officers in grades above brigadier general and rear admiral (lower half)
(a) Major Generals and Rear Admirals Serving in Grade.— Except as provided in subsection (b) or (c) and under section 637 (b) of this title, each officer of the Regular Army, Regular Air Force, or Regular Marine Corps who holds the regular grade of major general, and each officer of the Regular Navy who holds the regular grade of rear admiral, shall, if not earlier retired, be retired on the first day of the first month beginning after the date of the fifth anniversary of his appointment to that grade or on the first day of the month after the month in which he completes 35 years of active commissioned service, whichever is later.
(b) Lieutenant Generals and Vice Admirals.— In the administration of subsection (a) in the case of an officer who is serving in the grade of lieutenant general or vice admiral, the number of years of active commissioned service applicable to the officer is 38 years.
(c) Generals and Admirals.— In the administration of subsection (a) in the case of an officer who is serving in the grade of general or admiral, the number of years of active commissioned service applicable to the officer is 40 years.

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

coudano

Yah but you can start your commissioned service as late as 40 years of age in some cases.
40might be a little ridic to make gen, but 30 seems reasonable