ABU Fleece Jacket with insignia or not

Started by Picy3, December 04, 2018, 10:45:33 PM

NIN

I, for one, get it. I didn't even have nametags yet at my first encampment. (I was Cadet Green, for that big blank green spot over my right pocket)  I had gotten a full set of fatigues but that was it. Insignia didn't move quite as fast then,and I had to make due with a branch tape from the squadron supply box.  I had two cutouts and a flight cap device. That was it. No nameplate, yet, either.

Somehow, I survived my first encampment with 3/4 of my insignia.

I get "the stuff is on the way from Vanguard."  But you're right: that only lasts a couple weeks.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

CAPed Crusader

I asked the same question..about the ABU fleece.. Here is my answers [along with other questions]:

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=23068.msg413916#msg413916

Stonewall

For reference, I have seen Air Force enlisted/NCO/officers wearing issued fleeces with ABU/OCPs all the time and missing some or all insgnia. In fact, I saw an Airman (not sure what rank) with only a USAF tape on her fleece today, and Tuesday I saw a Capt (rank on ABU cap) with name tapes but no Velcro rank.

And I can't tell you how many people mess up which side the name/USAF tape goes on.

Is there an excuse? Sure. Is it a good excuse? Meh, probably not. 

Perfect world, we'd like to have everything we are supposed to have.  But Vanguard charges A LOT for Velcro name tapes and a square piece of material to pin rank rank onto, which also costs money. And then there's shipping costs.

Just a quick check from my phone, its roughly $15 to buy the insignia for a fleece, not including shipping.
Serving since 1987.

Slim

Quote from: Stonewall on December 13, 2018, 07:57:20 PM
Is there an excuse? Sure. Is it a good excuse? Meh, probably not. 

Perfect world, we'd like to have everything we are supposed to have.  But Vanguard charges A LOT for Velcro name tapes and a square piece of material to pin rank rank onto, which also costs money. And then there's shipping costs.

Just a quick check from my phone, its roughly $15 to buy the insignia for a fleece, not including shipping.

In a perfect world, we'd have a supply room we could send our troops to that would (should?) have what our cadets need in stock, and they'd be able to go hit the embroidery shop in the PX/BX, or right outside the gate, and get the tapes they need made in a day or two, or while they wait.

But, ours isn't a perfect world, and even I had to twist the rules about mixing and matching for a few weeks by wearing the old UMB insignia (tapes too) on my fleece while I waited for whomever at Vanguard to glue (yes, glue) a Lt Col rank to a square of velcro and mail it to me.  No idea why they couldn't have taken an extra couple minutes and done that at the same time they were gluing my name tape to it's velcro strip.

While I agree that the rules are the rules, the world has yet to stop spinning because we looked the other way for a week or two while someone waits for our friendly sole-source supplier to get them what they need.

Slim

NIN

When one of my LTs gets promoted, and they buy insignia to replace on their uniforms (2 sets of bars) I always take the 4th insignia and make them a fleece rank.  Takes 10 minutes and a square of velcro.  And mine are stitched.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Jester

Quote from: NIN on December 14, 2018, 12:59:15 PM

When one of my LTs gets promoted, and they buy insignia to replace on their uniforms (2 sets of bars) I always take the 4th insignia and make them a fleece rank.  Takes 10 minutes and a square of velcro.  And mine are stitched.

What kind of needle do you use for sewing fabric to Velcro?  I assume a regular old-school Kenmore machine is strong enough for it. I use a denim needle for putting name tapes on heavyweight ABUs.

SarDragon

Use a sharp needle, not a ball point. The denim needle should work.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

arajca

Also, don't use the adhesive backed velcro. It gums up the needles.

Eclipse

I've never had any issues piecing the plastic, my issues are usually with the bobbin side of the thread
bunching up on the hooks.

+1 on not using adhesive velcro.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Jester on December 14, 2018, 01:19:43 PM
What kind of needle do you use for sewing fabric to Velcro?  I assume a regular old-school Kenmore machine is strong enough for it. I use a denim needle for putting name tapes on heavyweight ABUs.

You know, I don't even know. The general needles that you get in JoAnn's or Walmart are all I use.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They seem to work fine thru doubled-up nametag & temperate-weight ABU. I even use them to sew down the pockets (shhhh), so  when you're going thru the sides of the pocket flap, thats 2 layers of fabric on the flap, at least, plus 2 layers of fabric of the pocket.  Nary a problem.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

SemperVigHooah

Whenever I need new name tapes, I just cut them to pocket size and spray-adhesive them onto my blouse/field jacket. It saves so much time, and not having to spend $15 a pop on getting them sewed makes it that much easier.

Eclipse

If it works for you, great, but this is not good general advice.

"5.1.1.3.1. Nametapes will be in white thread on ultramarine blue cloth. The
nametapes will be sewn
immediately above the upper BDU coat pockets. Fold tapes underneath to match
pocket width. The "Civil Air Patrol" nametape will be worn above the upper BDU pocket on the
wearer's left. The last name nametape will be worn above the upper BDU pocket on the wearer's right. "

Also, how often do you need new tapes that it's onerous to do them properly?

Hand sewing them isn't optimal, but it's also not that hard, and a skill that would serve you for a lifetime.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

baronet68

Quote from: Jim Lahaie on April 04, 2019, 02:43:11 PM
Whenever I need new name tapes, I just cut them to pocket size and spray-adhesive them onto my blouse/field jacket. It saves so much time, and not having to spend $15 a pop on getting them sewed makes it that much easier.

I've had great success using Elmer's WHITE glue (not carpenter glue... note my emphasis on WHITE glue) to adhere tapes to a uniform.  Once it dries, you can then sew the tape into place (using hand or machine) without the tape/insignia moving.  Because the WHITE Elmer's glue is water soluble, it will wash out when the uniform is laundered, leaving no permanent damage.
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

chuckmilam

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on December 10, 2018, 03:45:06 PM
There is something that can be done about it: "Hey, don't wear it until you have the full uniform."

This is my policy.  I give a temporary pass on uniform of the day requirements like so: "If you do not yet have a complete uniform, appropriate civilian attire may be worn."

GroundHawg

Quote from: Stonewall on December 05, 2018, 02:24:20 PM
I just spotted a full rack of foliage fleeces at Wright-Patterson AFB and none of them had Velcro.  I asked the MCSS lady about it and she said people are sewing name/AF tapes and drank directly to the jacket.  I have yet to see anyone so this, but then again, I'm the only one I've seen since 1 Oct with my tapes, badges, and rank sewn directly to my OCPs in lieu of the ever annoying hook and loop.

I took mine to Tulay's and she did an excellent job on mine. She did my OCP's, my BBDU's, and my black CAP fleece. Sucks that she is out of business now and I have to pay for lesser quality at a higher price elsewhere.

CAP9907

Quote from: chuckmilam on April 04, 2019, 05:07:35 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on December 10, 2018, 03:45:06 PM
There is something that can be done about it: "Hey, don't wear it until you have the full uniform."

This is my policy.  I give a temporary pass on uniform of the day requirements like so: "If you do not yet have a complete uniform, appropriate civilian attire may be worn."

Absolutely this ^^   Either wear it per the Manual or do not wear it at all.
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

VT Wing PAO

You will need to get the dark blue rank tab and rank insignia and pin the rank thru the jacket and the tab the rest of the jacket will need name taps and will only be worn in cold weather (53 Degrees Fenhight)

- C/Msgt Howel

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: VT Wing PAO on May 09, 2019, 01:20:01 PM
You will need to get the dark blue rank tab and rank insignia and pin the rank thru the jacket and the tab the rest of the jacket will need name taps and will only be worn in cold weather (53 Degrees Fenhight)

- C/Msgt Howel

Cite that please.

SarDragon

What's a Fenhight?

Sent using Tapatalk
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret