Home made polo shirt

Started by Tubacap, June 10, 2008, 11:29:11 AM

Tubacap

So a few threads back someone had asked NHQ if they could use a different shirt to make the polo's.  So here are my questions.

1.  How do you get the patch on it?  Do you just use a patch or do you get them embroidered?
2.  Is the 5.11 Pro Polo the same color as the vanguard shirts?

Thanks!
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

jimmydeanno

My wife wanted an embroidered polo.  The small shirts were large enough to fit an elephant.  She went to Target and bought a women's polo the sameish color as the one from Vanguard.  We walked into Vanguard (when it was down the street) and asked, "Can you put the CAP stuff on this?"  They said, "Yep, $10 and 3 hours, come and get it."  Three hours later she had a polo shirt.

I definitely would NOT just sew a CAP patch onto the shirt - it will look horrible, sort of Hell's Angel's leather jackety.  Definitely get it embroidered.  Also, I wouldn't do the iron on transfers if you were thinking of creating your own "silk-screened" polo (golf shirt?).
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Al Sayre

Along these lines, does anyone know of a source for Ultramarine fabric suitable for making badges?  Apparently the folks at Vanguard are dragging their feet on producing the IC badges in cloth for the BDU's.  I've got a friend who has a custom embroidery business who says he can make them if I can find the fabric.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

arajca

Take a badge or grade insignia to a good fabric shop. They should be able to match it.

Al Sayre

I live in Vicksburg MS, there is no such thing around this area...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

DC

One of the SMs in my squadron made his own polo, he took a FLWG patch and sewed it onto a dark blue polo. It looks like crap. He used the wrong patch, and having been sewn on it looks really cheesy.

Eclipse

Quote from: DC on June 10, 2008, 06:54:11 PM
One of the SMs in my squadron made his own polo, he took a FLWG patch and sewed it onto a dark blue polo. It looks like crap. He used the wrong patch, and having been sewn on it looks really cheesy.

Not to mention its not remotely in regs, why would he be allowed to wear it in any situation requiring a uniform?

"That Others May Zoom"

DC

I've never seen him at an event other than a meeting, and as a SM who has no contact with the cadets he con just claim that he is not required to wear a uniform.

My CC probably doesn't know the difference, he is frequently seen wear black tennis shoes with blues, having a necklace visible, shaggy, way beyond regs hair, and uniform accouterments out of place.

It has been brought to his attention before, and has gone no where. The Group CC puts up with it, and the Wing CC has visited the squadron, and I have seen no changes. Whatever.

I've made  a home made polo with my unit patch sewen on.  I don't wear it as a uniform item.  I did it as a concept idea.  I wear it to CAP social functions or when a uniform wouldn't be needed but some sort of CAP identifier wouldn't be a bad idea.  It doesn't look half bad.  It would look better if the patch had been embroidered on but for a concept idea I wasn't goign to pay that much to do this.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Eclipse

Quote from: DC on June 10, 2008, 07:10:18 PM
I've never seen him at an event other than a meeting, and as a SM who has no contact with the cadets he con just claim that he is not required to wear a uniform.

My CC probably doesn't know the difference, he is frequently seen wear black tennis shoes with blues, having a necklace visible, shaggy, way beyond regs hair, and uniform accouterments out of place.

...then how about telling him?

"That Others May Zoom"

DC

Quote from: Eclipse on June 11, 2008, 02:28:23 AM

Without detailing the past several years of tension between the cadet staff and senior staff in my squadron, I assure you, we have. The result of this, among other issues that came up about a year and a half ago was the Group CC being brought in to threaten us with 2bs, and several meetings to figure things out. It was not a particularly fun time in my squadron.

Quote from: DC on June 11, 2008, 06:16:42 AM

Without detailing the past several years of tension between the cadet staff and senior staff in my squadron, I assure you, we have. The result of this, among other issues that came up about a year and a half ago was the Group CC being brought in to threaten us with 2bs, and several meetings to figure things out. It was not a particularly fun time in my squadron.

From what you've said about your Unit CC what about bringing this up the chain to the next level?  It sounds like he isn't the type of person that we want interacting with our members. 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

DC

Quote from: Orion Pax on June 11, 2008, 12:54:46 PM
Quote from: DC on June 11, 2008, 06:16:42 AM

From what you've said about your Unit CC what about bringing this up the chain to the next level?  It sounds like he isn't the type of person that we want interacting with our members. 
The group CC is around nearly every week, he was in ur squadron before he took his current position. The Wing CC is around every once and a while (and the last two weeks in a row to present some awards), and they both seem to put up with it. There is also really no one to take his place. The only other person I know of that is anywhere near competent to command the squadron has said multiple time that he does not want the job. In early 07 our current commander was replaced for about a month with a retired Army Major, he was near tyrannical in his 'leadership', and ran the squadron like he wanted too, rather than bother with CAP regs, he and his deputy commander quit after a month because of lack of cooperation. Then we got our current commander back. He is a really nice guy until you disagree with him, then the hammer falls. But, I feel ridiculous sometimes telling a cadet his uniform looks like crap (and I don't say that unless it really does) when it is better than the unit commander's. He prefers to see cadets as children rather than at least give our opinions some clout when it comes to cadet programs. He has proven multiple times that his knowledge of the cadet program is minimal, and he is very hand off with the program. This is generally good, except when he has to interact beyond mere supervision. He seems to do an adequate job of running the senior side of things, but he sets a horrible example for the cadets, his uniform is horrible, he has little understanding of customs and courtesies, cannot, even after being the CC for several years, manage a proper salute. These may seem like trivial issues, but to new cadets the apperance of their supposed leader is very important, and I remember it being very disappointing to know that my superior could not even master the basic skills I was being required to learn as a 12 year old C/AB.

He is also prone to allow other officers to walk all over him when he lacks knowledge on a subject. For instance, our formations, they are absurdely run. I have always equated the formation of a Composite Squadron more like a small group, because you have multiple (hopefully) flights of cadets under the cadet staff, who are under the squadron commander. Our formations look something like this:

Blue = Cadet Flight
Pale Blue = Cadet Staff
Red = Senior Flight
Pale Red = Deputy Commander for Cadets, yep, in front of the seniors. The DCS is basically an element leader in the senior flight.
Black = Squadron CC
Green = Squadron 'Adjutant' I guess, I have never exactly figured out his purpose.

My five minutes in MS Paint looks really lopsided on purpose, that is a pretty good representation of our formations.

The 'Adjutant' falls the squadron in and take the report from the DCC on the seniors, and the Cadet Commander on the Cadets. Then the Squadron CC walks in from the side, 'salutes' and gets the report. The CC than walks to a position somewhere in between the two flights, but closer to the seniors. He then goes though his weekly "Its nice to see eeryone" speech and summarizes whatever activities occured over the weekend, and what is coming up in the near future. When he is done he walks over to the 'adjutant' and salutes, then goes away. The adjutant then calls the sqaudron back to attention and calls "Dissmissed".

It is most definately not what 36 2203 says to do, and really looks rediculous in practice.

davidsinn

The CD/S is the flight commander for the seniors. It's suggested that the CD/C should be the guide.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

MIKE

Mike Johnston