Experiment: Golf Shirt vs SS Blues with Tie

Started by Tubacap, August 21, 2007, 12:42:51 AM

Tubacap

So this weekend I took an ICS 300 course, which was probably the best course I have ever taken btw.  As sort of an experiment I wore the golf shirt combo for the first two days and short sleeve blues with a tie for the last day.

The make up of the class was myself, volunteer firefighters, emergency management coordinators, state level government officials, and some state police.

Day 1 and 2, I sort of blended in amongst the firefighters that were wearing jeans and a t-shirt.  I said hi to the state police and they blew me off.  Had some random conversations, but all were kind of short.  On day 3, I came in pressed and shined.  Instantly, I as being asked what my organization could bring to bear on several different types of incidents.  I gave out a ton of cards, and even got a mention by the instructor.

Take it for what it's worth when you are representing the organization at meetings with mixed audiences.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Eclipse

Police, fire, and similar agencies have nothing to "prove", nor are they generally soliciting business.

By the time you get to the level where you can legitimately wear the badge, turnout gear, or even military uniform, your place and duties are pretty clearly defined.

With us, however, we don't' have the "cool points" in reserve to burn with a slacker attitude, we have to go in with our "A" game and keep it on the whole time if we are to be taken seriously.

Thank you for making us look good...

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

To add a little more to this.

We recently had the opportunity to solicit an agency for a large metro area, during that solicitation, a member of the group came in and discussed, in very positive terms, his impressions and knowledge of CAP in another high-visibility state.

This was +10 hit points for this project as well, but could very easily have gone the other way if his impression was negative.

We are all salesmen and you likely did CAP an invaluable service.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Yeah man, hats off to ya Tubacap.  Good job.
Serving since 1987.

JC004

I don't care how many cards you gave out, you're still not getting a .gov e-mail!  Kidding...the man says he is trying to have it set up on our server.  I will keep you updated on that.  Let me know when you plan to take 400 so I can have them reschedule it to a band weekend just for entertainment.   :P   :angel:  TLC is in the works...plan to attend - I might even allow it to be scheduled on a weekend that works for you.   ;)

RiverAux

The problem, some would say the benefit, of the golf shirt is that they are so unobtrusive and blend in with other attire.  From an organization point of view it just isn't good advertising, especially when you consider that the seal on the golf shirt is actually pretty hard to read.  It just not a good symbol, just like it was poor advertising to have the seal on the vans and airplanes. 

They should probably put the command patch on the shirt.  At least that has a military look to it. 

floridacyclist

Nice experiment. I did my 300/400 with a bunch of guys who did not have an active CAP unit. They were very curious on their own about what all we did. For the ICS TTT at Emmitsburg, I wore my white/grey n the last day and got more comments about my Captain's bars than anything.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

jb512

Excellent experiment and point proving about that golf shirt.  What percentage of the Fire/EMS/LE people were in their uniforms?

Tubacap

0% on fire/EMS 1 State Police officer in uniform
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

MIKE

Don't you guys know you aren't supposed to wear a tie with a short sleeved shirt... Not cool.  8)
Mike Johnston

jb512

Quote from: Tubacap on August 23, 2007, 01:12:15 AM
0% on fire/EMS 1 State Police officer in uniform

That makes sense for a classroom setting. Ours would be about the same. If we do an exercise or a real EOC activation it would be close to 100% here.

I'm glad our uniforms look good enough to give us some credibility in a first impression.

Stonewall

Quote from: MIKE on August 23, 2007, 01:19:48 AM
Don't you guys know you aren't supposed to wear a tie with a short sleeved shirt... Not cool.  8)

So true.  I guess I overlooked that part.  Yes, short-sleeve with tie is not kosher.
Serving since 1987.

Major Carrales

Quote from: Stonewall on August 23, 2007, 01:55:41 AM

So true.  I guess I overlooked that part.  Yes, short-sleeve with tie is not kosher.

According to CAPM 39-1, Figure 2-5. Men’s Short-sleeve Shirt (Senior Members) a tie and tie tab can be worn with a short sleeve shirt.  It, however, is not normally done.  I know I don't do it...but it is possible under the regs.

Quote9. Tie Tack or Bar: Center tie tack or tie bar (CAP crest, Air Force coat of arms, Wing and Star/Hap Arnold design or grade insignia) between bottom edge of knot and bottom (tip) of tie, if tie is worn.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Stonewall

There are lots of "uncool" things totally allowed.  Just because things may be authorized doesn't make them cool.  Example:  Service Cap.  :P
Serving since 1987.

Major Carrales

Quote from: Stonewall on August 23, 2007, 02:18:21 AM
There are lots of "uncool" things totally allowed.  Just because things may be authorized doesn't make them cool.  Example:  Service Cap.  :P

And Golf Shirts.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

MIKE

>:D Blame it on the meds.

Yeah there's a difference between allowed by regs and fashion faux pas.

Mike Johnston

Hawk200

Quote from: MIKE on August 23, 2007, 02:30:41 AM
>:D Blame it on the meds.

Yeah there's a difference between allowed by regs and fashion faux pas.

Hmmm, how about combat boots with blues?

Backing away from inevitable explosion...

floridacyclist

Besides the fact that we did it all the time on gate guard duty...
any time we were going to be on our feet a lot in blues we wore boots and blues. It was just a lot more comfortable.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

MIKE

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 23, 2007, 02:34:05 AM
Hmmm, how about combat boots with blues?

Backing away from inevitable explosion...

It depends on the boots...

This is off topic, but I wouldn't mind something similar to the service shoes of the '40s to replace the low quarters.  More of a low boot.
Mike Johnston

jimmydeanno

So I guess they should change the NCC uniform then...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

ddelaney103

Quote from: Stonewall on August 23, 2007, 01:55:41 AM

Personally, I've never been able to get the (short sleeve + tie = Dilbert) equation out of my head.

Seriously, wearing hot weather service and topping it off with a neck choker seems counterproductive...

ddelaney103

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 23, 2007, 12:07:49 PM

Let's not go dome the path of "NCC changes" as we'll be here all night.

MIKE

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 23, 2007, 12:07:49 PM

Yes they should.  >:D
Mike Johnston