Wearing the flight suit to weekly meetings...

Started by jb512, August 14, 2007, 09:57:03 PM

For or against?

For
36 (57.1%)
Against
27 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Voting closed: August 19, 2007, 09:57:03 PM

JohnKachenmeister

Oh, yeah... and thank you for your service.
Another former CAP officer

RogueLeader

Quote from: mikeylikey on August 24, 2007, 02:36:14 PM
It just is not right!  Those are the tactics of insurance companies and evil executives. 
I don't like it, but it's not evil.  If you don't know the regs for CAP, you shouldn't be flying.  The regs clearly state that you must be in a CAP uniform to be covered by our insurance.  If the pilot doesn't know- he should anyways, then if he decides to not wear a CAP uniform, then he should believe that he is not covered by CAP insurance.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

JayT

Honestly, I would like to see a mod to the regs to allow flight suits for flight activites.

I know that AFROTC has a regulation that says that cadets on O-Flights can wear a bag without insignia, for safety.

But then again, I know some squadron commanders would proberly allow cadets to wear the bag all the time anyhow.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

smgilbert101

OK, while everyone is cool, what about the idea of setting a good example for the cadets.  Shouldn't the leadership wear the uniform of the day AND set a high standard in that uniform?  The DCC shouldn't be the only person in a "cadet mentor" role.  Am I missing something?  Aren't we supposed to be teaching the cadets something?

In my experience, "Chicks dig the flyboys" is a myth, they prefer the "ground pounders" because they are in better shape (LOL).  The lady in my life makes ME look good!

(Won't wear the polo or corporate uniform and doesn't need to.)
Steve Gilbert
SWR-TX-434
Too much rack for my uniform, favorite job is "mentor" (or was that mental..hmm)
ex-alot of things and sometimes gumbly old bear.

Hawk200

Not every unit has a "Uniform of the Day." My commander permits the DCC to establish the uniform for cadets. As for seniors, if they show up in a uniform, the commander is happy. UOD would be a hassle to accomplish.

However, the commander does require that all uniforms be worn properly. Even if not in the same uniform, they should all be worn with the appropriate attention to detail. Looking sloppy because you're different from everyone else isn't tolerated.

smgilbert101

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 25, 2007, 06:45:49 PM
Not every unit has a "Uniform of the Day." My commander permits the DCC to establish the uniform for cadets. As for seniors, if they show up in a uniform, the commander is happy. UOD would be a hassle to accomplish.

However, the commander does require that all uniforms be worn properly. Even if not in the same uniform, they should all be worn with the appropriate attention to detail. Looking sloppy because you're different from everyone else isn't tolerated.

I can go with that...  If the seniors are setting a good example in their uniform, that would work for me.  Ideally, I would refer to see the Seniors all wearing the same uniform.  I've seen alot of squadrons identify the expected uniform for a meeting in their schedules.  For example, the first and second meeting of the month is BDU's, third is blues, fourth is PT, etc.  That seems to have taken alot of the hassle out of it and the senior members can prepare their uniform/class materials according.  After all, it doesn't make much sense to teach a practical class on L-Per's in a service dress uniform (the dry cleaning bill is a pain <grin>).
Steve Gilbert
SWR-TX-434
Too much rack for my uniform, favorite job is "mentor" (or was that mental..hmm)
ex-alot of things and sometimes gumbly old bear.

RiverAux

Since we have another thread veering off in this direction, thought I'd revive this one. 

Cecil DP

It's my opinion that if you're not going to, particpating in, or coming from flying, you shouldn't be in a flight suit. It always pissed me off when I would see people in flight suits when I was assigned to CENTCOM, No One in that HQ was in a flying billet, yet they all wore their bags. Of course they would get upset when I asked how the flight was! And yes there was a CENTCOM reg stating flight suits could only be worn when engaging in flight.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Rob Sherlin

Strange huh?....This deserves another thread..........Thanks! :clap: :clap:

It seems to veer away to another point from the original topic.
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

Always Ready

As I stated in the other thread, *in a perfect world*, we should wear field uniforms (BBDU, BDU, etc.) only while in the field, flight suits only while flying, and wear the Blues/Corporate Equivalent to everything else. Is this a perfect world? No.

I think that we should NOT harp on the people who only wear the flight suit and ignore the people who only wear the polo, only BDUs, or only the blazer. If you are going to discriminate against one group, you are wrong. It's far better to discriminate against them all >:D or best yet none of them and hold everyone to the same standard. Heaven forbid that we be fair... :angel:

Rob Sherlin

Aren't flight suits suppose to be sort of "baggie" so you can put them on quickly over a regular uniform? Which is also a plus in a survival situation by the way!
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

PHall

Quote from: Rob Sherlin on March 19, 2009, 01:32:04 AM
Aren't flight suits suppose to be sort of "baggie" so you can put them on quickly over a regular uniform? Which is also a plus in a survival situation by the way!

No, they are not designed to be worn over other clothing.

However, what comes between you and your flight suit is YOUR business. ;)

Rob Sherlin

Didn't know.......how do these pilots do it in a scramble....do they sit around in shorts and t-shirts all the time?

Look, if you are in so much of a need to "take to flight" in an emergency, then at least wear a CAP flightsuit when you plan to attend a mmeting in it. And if you are in an area where you need to wear a flight suit all the time, then either you are in an area that has the worst luck I've ever seen and the Air Force knows it, or your combining and serving other "flight" business outside of CAP.
  Most AF people I know don't wear a flightsuit unless they are scheduled to fly as they have to have clearance........PERIOD!!!!

ßτε

According to the CAPM 39-1, flight suits are to be worn only by "Flight Crew members." If I am sitting at my squadron meeting, I would not consider myself a flight crew member, since I am not acting as a pilot, observer, or scanner at that time.

Major Carrales

The tenor of CAPM 39-1 is clearly designed to have flight suits only worn while active in flying.  Thus, it states while "en route" one only make necessary stops and behave in a military manner (grooming, mannerisms et al).  This could be posted up to demosntrate that.

However, that alone would make little sense.  If that were true, then one would have to do planning in blues or something else, then change into a flight suit to fly.

I finally, after year and years, actally have a flight suit (saved a dollar a day for a year and a half).  I keep in the the car incase it is needed. 

Also, aircrew is a qualification...not a condition.  Thus, a trainee, or MS-MP is a flight crew member.  I may be wrong and, if so, please contribute to my continuing education.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Rob Sherlin

Thank you Major...Sir!...That  (I think) says it all!

MIKE

Rather than have two active bag threads... I'm killing this old one.
Mike Johnston